Athlon 4 XP-M 2400+ ?

Old July 26th 03, 06:05 PM
A. J. Moss

Default Athlon 4 XP-M 2400+ ?

I've just bought a new laptop with an Athlon 4 XP-M 2400+ CPU.
When idling, the CPU runs at 1.06 GHz; when working flat out, it runs
at 1.79 GHz (according to Windows XP). Surely this would make it an
XP-M 2200+ CPU? If the advert said it's a 2.0GHz CPU, should I send
the damn thing back?

Also, can I leave the laptop running SETI@home calculations
overnight, every night, without compromising the computer's lifespan?
It's running off mains power; the monitor is off, and the hard disk is
spinning but mostly idling.
--
"If you send a letter to '****, London' it'll get to the
Director-General of the BBC, you can be sure of that."
Old July 26th 03, 07:12 PM
Darky

"A. J. Moss" wrote in message
news
I've just bought a new laptop with an Athlon 4 XP-M 2400+ CPU.
When idling, the CPU runs at 1.06 GHz; when working flat out, it runs
at 1.79 GHz (according to Windows XP). Surely this would make it an
XP-M 2200+ CPU? If the advert said it's a 2.0GHz CPU, should I send
the damn thing back?

Also, can I leave the laptop running SETI@home calculations
overnight, every night, without compromising the computer's lifespan?
It's running off mains power; the monitor is off, and the hard disk is
spinning but mostly idling.
--
"If you send a letter to '****, London' it'll get to the
Director-General of the BBC, you can be sure of that."
-- Peter Cook

------ Copied & pasted from the HP forum ------
Poster = Brian Auyoung

In March, AMD launched a couple of new Athlon XP-M processors. They included
the XP-M 2400+ and 2500+ which were based on the new codenamed "Barton"
core. These two XP-M processors have an additional 256 KB of level 2 cache
for a total of 512 KB. The older "Thoroughbred" core XP-M's had 256 KB. As
you're aware, AMD uses performance ratings, e.g. 2400+. The additional cache
on the Barton supposedly aids performance and AMD believes that 1.8 GHz
paired with 512 KB L2 cache is equivalent to a 2.0 GHz with 256 KB and thus
both have the 2400+ rating.

All Mobile Athlon XP processors have a 266 MHz DDR FSB.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1276_807^6308,00.html

Old July 27th 03, 01:24 AM
Grasso

Hello,

Also, can I leave the laptop running SETI@home calculations
overnight, every night, without compromising the computer's lifespan?

No. Electrolytic capacitors wear out pretty quickly. About spinning
harddisks I donīt know, but anyway: Seti is nonsense, as well as any
distributed computing program I know and can even think of. It also
consumes network ressources.

Uli

--
------- http://grassomusic.de -------
Old July 27th 03, 02:04 PM
Grasso

Hi LA,

While I wholeheartedly agree SETI is a total WOMBAT, what about the
stuff for finding potential cancer cure proteins?

That is even more of a scam. Modern medizine including cancer
treatment and AIDS "research" is a scam. See healaids.org and see
claims that cancer merely is the change from aerobic to anaerobic
metabolics. It happens that people get cancer, malaria and
tuberculosis, that they have a weak immune systeme, that they take
drugs, are promiscuous and do not behave as you or me want to. We have
to accept that. Bio- and nanotechnology are not the saviour of mankind
but very expensive and dangerous toys for wanna-be gods and secret
services.

Computer simulation of earth climate is a scam, too. No sensible
person can have any doubts about what will happen if mankind keeps
burning that much gas and coal. It is clear to see that mankind is
digging its own grave very fast.
http://grassomusic.de/e/globalecology.htm

Uli

--
------- http://grassomusic.de -------
Old July 28th 03, 06:45 AM
George Macdonald

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:24:33 +0200, Grasso
wrote:

Hello,

Also, can I leave the laptop running SETI@home calculations
overnight, every night, without compromising the computer's lifespan?

No. Electrolytic capacitors wear out pretty quickly. About spinning
harddisks I donīt know, but anyway: Seti is nonsense, as well as any
distributed computing program I know and can even think of. It also
consumes network ressources.

Uhh, is this "Save Electrolytic Capacitors Week"? The computer is
(suppposed to be) designed to be used - use it. IME laptop's keyboard,
pointing device or hinges are going to wear out years before any capacitors
or other electronic parts. Agree about SETI but if people want to be
gulled, it's their choice.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old July 28th 03, 05:33 PM
Grasso

Hi George,

(suppposed to be) designed to be used - use it. IME laptop's keyboard,
pointing device or hinges are going to wear out years before any capacitors
or other electronic parts.

They will not wear out if the machine is running SETI only.

I have experienced many times that elkos (what Germans call them) wear
out. On ten-years-old camcorders this is the main reason for failure.
Today notebooks become that hot that elkos, even good-quality ones,
can wear out much before 10 years of life.

Just my usual knitpicking.

Uli

--
------- http://grassomusic.de -------
Old July 29th 03, 11:43 PM
Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:33:05 +0200, Grasso
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

Hi George,

(suppposed to be) designed to be used - use it. IME laptop's keyboard,
pointing device or hinges are going to wear out years before any capacitors
or other electronic parts.

They will not wear out if the machine is running SETI only.

I have experienced many times that elkos (what Germans call them) wear
out. On ten-years-old camcorders this is the main reason for failure.

Amen to that, although such failure is not the result of 24/7 use. How
often do you use your camcorder?

Today notebooks become that hot that elkos, even good-quality ones,
can wear out much before 10 years of life.

The biggest problem is leaky surface mounted electros, at least in
older camcorders. I've been told that old Macs had this problem, too.

Leaded electros are most likely to dry out if located next to a
heatsink.

Just my usual knitpicking.

Uli

- Franc Zabkar
Old July 30th 03, 05:26 PM
Grasso

All of modern medicine is a scam? That's the funniest thing I've
heard today!

You will not laugh anymore when they get you! No, sincerely. We are
told that people were the same whereverer you go, hence doctors and
scientists could not be total fools and blatant liars, but reality is
different. When you research the medical research branche, the first
thing you discover is hierarchies and money. That helps a whole lot in
making people do stupid things. And when you read some docs on
healaids.com, for example a bunch of independant scientists explaining
that HIV has never been isolated and treated like other retrovirii
have been, and that AIDS blood tests and statistics on AIDS are not
worth 2 Cents, you will see what I mean. This world is rotten, and
medizine is not an exception.

Uli

--
------- http://grassomusic.de -------

Proposed Build - Help! Colin Phillips Homebuilt PC's 19 August 11th 04 11:12 AM
Athlon 64's vs. Athlon XP vs. Pentium 4 MarkW Homebuilt PC's 1 December 14th 03 03:42 PM
Athlon XP 2400 David General 1 June 24th 03 10:28 PM
HLEP !! Athlon XP 2400 David General 0 June 24th 03 09:44 PM
Athlon XP 2400 Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:28 AM