Computer frooze today.

Old October 16th 14, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Computer frooze today.

"Jan Pieter" wrote in message ...

On 10/14/2012 07:37 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

My DreamPC from 2006 with passively cooled graphics card and a new
motherboard and new harddisks as described in other messages through the
years, suddenly frooze today.

COMPLETE FREEZE. I had to press the reset button on the PC case !

This hasn't happened in ages but today it happened.

[snip]
But now the REAL reason why I write this message:

The fair (kermis in dutch) is happening again. Big machines requiering
lot's of power probably.

I wonder if this "fair" (machines for amusement) which is 100/200 meters
away from here or so.... has something to do with it ?

It could also be an electrical issue with my appertment or neighbours.

1. Light bulb blew at least a few days ago, there were actually two
inside of the lamp, in my bedroom, not sure if they both blew at the
same time.

2. Another light bulb blew in my main living room, also some weeks ago
or so I think.
[snip]

"
My son's PC had the same problem. While it was restarting after I
checked the RAM's there was (according to my son, I didn't see it) a
ball of light inside the PC case, and sparks close to the RAM's. And a
few seconds later a terrible smell: the mobo burned out. Later I
realized the problem probably was the mobo's battery. Maybe that's
your PC's problem as well?

--
Jan Pieter. Zijn favoriete PC was verdwenen. Er lag een
afscheidsbriefje met de woorden: 'niemand begrijpt mij'.

Hello thank you for writing to me, though this is a somewhat old thread

Most of my computer problems have been solved, except boot times take 10
minutes but I solve that by sleeping the PC.

Only issue remaining nowadays which is a new phenomenon is the break out box
for X-Fi Elite Pro seems to hang/freeze up.

So volume control for surround sound system doesn't work anymore.

And red lights blinking on it which I wrote before about... it's quite
odd/weird.

As a matter a fact it didn't do that before... so that's really weird. Maybe
frequency/sound of fans changed.

I tried to place it at a bigger distance from PC case it helps a little
bit... but its's still picking up signals.

So maybe it's not coming from the PC.

New theory/hypothesis: Maybe the PC's CASE is reflecting signals into the
breakout base.

Maybe the PC's case is working a little bit like a big antenna.

Anyway...

Now back to your problem and son's observed spark... never before have I
seen a light bulb inside the PC or anything like that.

The only time I saw a flash... was probably when some old chinese power
supply blew !

I am not sure what caused it... either too much wattage was being drawn from
wall socket.

Or my best guess: the power supply buckled because of gravity... and the
clearing was not enough anymore and it short circuited !

Which is very dangerous I think ! the electricty went off and I was in the
midst of darknes... later that night I had a nightmare... about the lights
going out... me moving to the window and seeing aliens outside...

Quite scary... if I remember correctly it was when I turned on the light...
but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me... it probably wasn't like that...
maybe the light sparkled a bit.

Anyway... there was a blow out from the back of the PC and a little flash.

Anyway... main reason I write is that if it's the power supply sparking your
son might be in danger...

I don't think it's that's the case... but one can't be carefull enough.

Try to inspect the power supply for any black markings... especially on the
inside...

If it has any of those it's dangerous.

Anyway... also check if it's chinese... and from alluminium/flimsy... these
are not to be trusted.

Nowadays... I have strong power supplies... more properly build... still
some glue here and there in it... which is less ideal but ok.

That's at least my practical experience.

Maybe it will help you or maybe not.

Take care, see ya later.

(Fair has started again by the way...)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 16th 14, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...

Al Drake wrote:
On 10/13/2014 7:03 AM, Jan Pieter wrote:
[...]

I don't think that little battery would ever cause sparks anywhere under
any circumstances.

"
The ATX supply can provide enough power for a "ball of light".
"

I agree with that. He/she should definetly check the power supply... it
could cause a short circuit or maybe even death.

This incident is not to be taking lightly.

Bye,
Skybuck.