A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Processors » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Is there something fundamentally wrong with AGP?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 15th 03, 04:05 AM
Carlos Moreno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Is there something fundamentally wrong with AGP?


Well, I know the answer to the subject, of course...

But there has to be something fundamentally wrong
with my understanding of the AGP setup, BIOS
configuration to work with an AGP card, etc.

I have two different machines (one has an ASUS
A7V motherboard, one has a newer ASUS A7N8X, with
PCB rev. 2.0, or 2.01 I think), and on both I have
been unable to make any AGP card work fine.

I just bought a new AGP8X card (an XFX, with nVidia
GeForce chipset), replaced the PCI card that I have,
and the monitor receives no signal.

The motherboard does not beep funny, so it seems
to be recognizing that there is a video card
attached.

But I don't even get to see the first screen, in
text mode! (the green led on the monitor never
turns on -- the led that indicates that the monitor
is receiving video signal).

After putting back the old PCI card, I checked the
BIOS settings, and everything seems normal:

AGP8X: Enabled
AGP apertu 64M

And two other settings that I don't remember exactly
(sorry, can't see the BIOS and use my computer to
write this message simultaneously :-)), one of them
is "Enabled", the other one is "Auto detect", or
"Auto", or something along those lines.

Is there something else that I'm missing? I would
be very surprised that a brand new video card (in
a retail box) just happened to be defective, at the
same time that I'm not able to make the other AGP
card work on the other motherboard? Sounds to me
like the statistics speak for themselves...

Any help/ideas/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlos
--

  #2  
Old December 15th 03, 04:20 AM
daytripper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:05:20 -0500, Carlos Moreno
wrote:


Well, I know the answer to the subject, of course...

But there has to be something fundamentally wrong
with my understanding of the AGP setup, BIOS
configuration to work with an AGP card, etc.

I have two different machines (one has an ASUS
A7V motherboard, one has a newer ASUS A7N8X, with
PCB rev. 2.0, or 2.01 I think), and on both I have
been unable to make any AGP card work fine.

I just bought a new AGP8X card (an XFX, with nVidia
GeForce chipset), replaced the PCI card that I have,
and the monitor receives no signal.

The motherboard does not beep funny, so it seems
to be recognizing that there is a video card
attached.

But I don't even get to see the first screen, in
text mode! (the green led on the monitor never
turns on -- the led that indicates that the monitor
is receiving video signal).

After putting back the old PCI card, I checked the
BIOS settings, and everything seems normal:

AGP8X: Enabled
AGP apertu 64M

And two other settings that I don't remember exactly
(sorry, can't see the BIOS and use my computer to
write this message simultaneously :-)), one of them
is "Enabled", the other one is "Auto detect", or
"Auto", or something along those lines.

Is there something else that I'm missing? I would
be very surprised that a brand new video card (in
a retail box) just happened to be defective, at the
same time that I'm not able to make the other AGP
card work on the other motherboard? Sounds to me
like the statistics speak for themselves...

Any help/ideas/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlos


Look in the bios for a setting that specifies which video device will be the
*primary*. My guess is it is set to PCI. Change it to AGP...

/daytripper
  #3  
Old December 15th 03, 04:26 AM
stacey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Carlos Moreno wrote:


I would
be very surprised that a brand new video card (in
a retail box) just happened to be defective,


I wouldn't. I RMA'd a brand new ATI 9800 pro that wad DOA. You'd think
they'd test a $300+ video card! :-)

--

Stacey
  #4  
Old December 15th 03, 05:03 AM
stacey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

daytripper wrote:


Look in the bios for a setting that specifies which video device will be
the *primary*. My guess is it is set to PCI. Change it to AGP...



Wouldn't it still work? I thought that just picked which of two cards is the
primary. I'm pretty sure I've had that set "wrong" with a single card and
it still worked fine.

--

Stacey
  #5  
Old December 15th 03, 05:16 AM
daytripper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:03:48 -0500, stacey wrote:

daytripper wrote:


Look in the bios for a setting that specifies which video device will be
the *primary*. My guess is it is set to PCI. Change it to AGP...



Wouldn't it still work? I thought that just picked which of two cards is the
primary. I'm pretty sure I've had that set "wrong" with a single card and
it still worked fine.


And I've worked on systems that if it was set "wrong" had the same symptoms
you described...
  #6  
Old December 15th 03, 07:29 AM
Robert Myers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:05:20 -0500, Carlos Moreno
wrote:

snip

Is there something else that I'm missing? I would
be very surprised that a brand new video card (in
a retail box) just happened to be defective, at the
same time that I'm not able to make the other AGP
card work on the other motherboard? Sounds to me
like the statistics speak for themselves...

Any help/ideas/advice will be appreciated.


When you're working with the newest hardware, be prepared for
surprises. First stop would be the BIOS downloads page for the
motherboards in question:

http://www.asus.com/support/download...A7N8X&Type=All

Even straight out of the box new motherboards rarely come with the
latest version of the BIOS installed. I would *not* recommend
grabbing the latest BIOS and flashing away, but I would recommend
using that link as a starting point for research. If you dig and dig
and dig and get nowhere, then *I*, being the reckless soul that I am,
might try flashing to the latest BIOS (if it's not already installed)
just to see what happens.

If you're an experimenting sort, you might try unplugging things
(unneeded diskdrives and whatnot) just to see if you can get the damn
thing to boot with your AGP card installed. I would also try
*disabling* the 8x AGP just to see what happens. And I might be
tempted to try underclocking, also just to see what happens.

What you really want to do is to figure out whether you've got a
dead/defective card AGP card, or whether you've got a weird timing
problem arising from new and relatively untested hardware. My guess
would be that you have the latter, but you never know.

RM
  #7  
Old December 15th 03, 02:23 PM
Carlos Moreno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Robert Myers wrote:

When you're working with the newest hardware, be prepared for
surprises.


Wow... Surprise #1: I didn't really think that this was the
newest hardware. In fact, I was originally looking for a
cheap-o PCI card, but got this one because it was the only
thing I could find (well, in the "just above cheap-o"
category).

As for the motherboard, well, it's a relatively new model,
but I didn't think it was the bleeding-edge technology either.

If you're an experimenting sort, you might try unplugging things
(unneeded diskdrives and whatnot) just to see if you can get the damn
thing to boot with your AGP card installed. I would also try
*disabling* the 8x AGP just to see what happens. And I might be
tempted to try underclocking, also just to see what happens.


Ok, I guess I'll play a little bit with the settings before
running back to the store for an exchange (with the 20cm of
snow that we have today, a trip to the store will be soooo
complicated :-))

Thanks,

Carlos
--

  #8  
Old December 15th 03, 04:23 PM
Gary L.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:23:37 -0500, Carlos Moreno
wrote:


Ok, I guess I'll play a little bit with the settings before
running back to the store for an exchange (with the 20cm of
snow that we have today, a trip to the store will be soooo
complicated :-))


I would start by using the jumper to clear the CMOS settings and
restore to the default. Since most users will have AGP video cards,
the default will support this configuration. If there is no hardware
defect in the video card or motherboard, then this should allow it to
work.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
  #9  
Old December 17th 03, 03:08 PM
Carlos Moreno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Gary L. wrote:

Ok, I guess I'll play a little bit with the settings before
running back to the store for an exchange (with the 20cm of
snow that we have today, a trip to the store will be soooo
complicated :-))


I would start by using the jumper to clear the CMOS settings and
restore to the default. Since most users will have AGP video cards,
the default will support this configuration. If there is no hardware
defect in the video card or motherboard, then this should allow it to
work.


Hmmm, at this point I'm guessing I better go back to the store
for an exchange. I had touched absolutely nothing in the BIOS
settings other than the CPU frequency, and with that default
configuration it wasn't working.

I then changed several parameters in the AGP configuration, but
none had any effect (I tried the least aggressive settings,
setting the primary VGA device to AGP, ...).

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Carlos
--

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What the heck did I do wrong? Fried my A7N8X Deluxe? Don Burnette Asus Motherboards 19 December 1st 03 06:41 AM
top CPU for P4B533? Asus docs are wrong. Tom Asus Motherboards 6 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
P4C800 reports wrong disk sizes, free space in WinXP - Help please Olav Asus Motherboards 1 October 30th 03 12:02 AM
Prove this wrong!!!! John E. Carty General 0 October 18th 03 05:59 AM
Pls advise what is wrong with my 1.44MB FDD K a h K e e N a n g General 1 August 12th 03 08:28 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.