Dumb question about case fan installation

Old February 7th 05, 11:13 AM
hamidbm

Default Dumb question about case fan installation

I am building a new system. I wanted to install a cooling fan and ordered
one from buy.com. It is an 80 mm fan but comes with tiny installation
screwes. The mounting holes in the fan and in the chasis are far too big
for the tiny screws supplied. How can I install the fan. I live ina remote
area and have to order the screws over the internet. Can someone kindly
guide me where to buy the necessary rubber or screw mounts?
Thanks
Hamidbm

Old February 7th 05, 01:04 PM
RBM

Hi, there are no dumb questions. First be sure the case uses 80 mm and not
120 mm fans. Second check in the parts bag that came with the case,to be
sure there are no screws or clips included. Case fans are very standard and
usually the hardware will be with the case or the fan. Try emailing the fan
or case company and ask for the parts,or if you're lucky and have an Antec
case, just call their 800 number and they'll help you. The only other
possibility I can think of is that the tiny screws go through the case metal
and thread into the fan plastic,from the outside in. Good Luck
lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old February 7th 05, 01:33 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 05:13:23 -0500, "hamidbm"
wrote:

I am building a new system. I wanted to install a cooling fan and ordered
one from buy.com. It is an 80 mm fan but comes with tiny installation
screwes. The mounting holes in the fan and in the chasis are far too big
for the tiny screws supplied. How can I install the fan. I live ina remote
area and have to order the screws over the internet. Can someone kindly
guide me where to buy the necessary rubber or screw mounts?
Thanks
Hamidbm

Are they like this? Usually the fans use these big thread types almost
all the other screws in your PC case are different with threads that
are closer together.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...an_screws.html

The problem here will be shipping.
Im way out in Cucamonga and I once paid $15 shipping for a micro
jumper for a Quantum hard drive that happened to use them which I lost
, that was ages ago.
Old February 7th 05, 05:15 PM
Vanguard

"hamidbm" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
I am building a new system. I wanted to install a cooling fan and
ordered
one from buy.com. It is an 80 mm fan but comes with tiny installation
screwes. The mounting holes in the fan and in the chasis are far too
big
for the tiny screws supplied. How can I install the fan. I live ina
remote
area and have to order the screws over the internet. Can someone
kindly
guide me where to buy the necessary rubber or screw mounts?

The screws should be just a bit larger than the holes at the corners of
the fan. They are very coarse threaded screws that tap into the holes
in the plastic and have a flanged head to seat against the case. They
look like those pictured at
http://store.yahoo.com/buyextras/thlofansc4qt.html (you can click on the
image to get an enlarged view).

Have you contacted buy.com to tell them the wrong screws were included
with the fan and that they should mail you the correct ones? They might
ship them at no cost to you (for the screws and shipping).

What brand of fan did you buy that screwed up their packaging by putting
the wrong size screws in their package?

Old February 7th 05, 06:54 PM
kony

wrote:

I am building a new system. I wanted to install a cooling fan and ordered
one from buy.com. It is an 80 mm fan but comes with tiny installation
screwes. The mounting holes in the fan and in the chasis are far too big
for the tiny screws supplied. How can I install the fan. I live ina remote
area and have to order the screws over the internet. Can someone kindly
guide me where to buy the necessary rubber or screw mounts?
Thanks
Hamidbm

If you decied to buy online, this place usually has cheapest
total cost due to being able to choose regular mail (USPS)
shipping:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/silfanscrew.html

However, you might find an old computer somewhere that could
donate a couple screws. If you feel daring you should find
there are 4 screws in any other fan (like the power supply
fan) in the system. 2 screws will easily hold down a fan,
so 4 screws can secure 2 fans... it's not ideal but it'd
take a very unusual situation for it to ever make a
difference, perhaps a very thin and flimsy fan might vibrate
a little but even that is unusual. You do do that in the
interim and get some screws the next time you need parts
from a vendor carrying them.

Otherwise there's always a 4-pack of nuts and bolts from the
hardware store, or cable straps, or whatever.
Old February 7th 05, 08:00 PM
Timothy Daniels

"kony" wrote:
If you decied to buy online, this place usually has cheapest
total cost due to being able to choose regular mail (USPS)
shipping:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/silfanscrew.html

Silicon Valley Compucycle has their own website at
http://www.SVC.com. For fan screws, check out:
http://www.SVC.com/fanscrews.html . I buy round IDE
cables from them, and I feel they have a good combination
of reasonable/low price AND good selection.

*TimDaniels*
Old February 8th 05, 07:13 PM
hamidbm

Thank you. This is most helpful.
The fan was purchased from Buy.com. Here is the description of the fan:
StarTech.com 8 cm Quiet High Airflow Long Life Reliable PC Computer Case
Cooling Fan
I may buy those screws in the link you have posted. However, I am unsure
if they will fit since they are meant to be for bigger fans.
Hamidbm

Old February 8th 05, 07:54 PM
hamidbm

Thank you so much for the helpful advice.

Old February 8th 05, 07:59 PM
hamidbm

Thanks. I did try that. The screws are tiny and too thin for the holes. I
used up all by cerebral cortex to figure out a way to use those screws for
the fan but failed miserably! I have just ordrered fanscrews from
Buyextras.com at another forum member's recommendation. Thanks again for
your input.

Hamidbm

Old February 8th 05, 08:01 PM
hamidbm

Thanks. I just used another websit that charged $2.50 for shipping. I did
not know where to look for the fan screws/mounts. Thanks again for the
helpful input.
Hamidbm