Moab Paper

Old February 18th 05, 11:50 PM
measekite

Default Moab Paper

Any users of Moab Paper out there. What papers have you used with what
Printer and Ink? What were the results?
Old February 19th 05, 04:41 AM
Burt

costco glossy photo paper and epson glossy photo paper in a canon i960.
great results and the weight of the costco paper and its smoother surface
makes it the better of the two IMHO. Refilling OEM carts with MIS inks.
Hard to tell the difference between MIS and canon OEM inks. Kodak paper
sucks and Canon photo paper pro and epson premium glossy photo paper are a
waste of money. By the way - are you really a measekite? I'm sure your
mother doesn't think so!

m...

Old February 19th 05, 05:28 PM
bmoag

Epson glossy photo paper purchased at Costco works better on Canon printers
than Canon's own glossy paper which is insanely overpriced.
Hi gloss paper is completely different than the lower cost glossy paper and
in my experience Epson's Premium Glossy, particularly on a hi end Epson ink
printer, is the most photo-like of all paper surfaces, that is it mimics
(actually surpasses) the traditional color glossy wet print.
Epson Premium Lustre paper will also work well with Canon printers but you
have to find the right settings.
If you care about your printer warranty, and have any concept of color
management, you should stick to Canon ink cartridges.

Old February 19th 05, 07:01 PM
Burt

Costco stores in the San Francisco Bay Area stopped selling the Epson paper
and now carry only Kodak and Kirkland brands. The Kirkland brand (I've read
that this is Ilford paper) has a bit more weight and a smoother surface. It
produces a print that is much closer in look and feel to lab prints. I
still purchase the Epson glossy photo paper, if I see a two for one sale on
epson papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and
custom post cards - as it will accept inkjet printing and pen inks on the
non glossy side. There is a faint logo printed on the backside which is
barely noticeable. The Kirkland paper will not print on the back side.

I have been using MIS inks to refill OEM cartridges and have done side by
side tests against the OEM canon inks. There is virtually no difference in
color management. My photo management sofware is Photoshop Elements 2 and I
set the printer software to glossy photo paper and manual setting with a -4
setting for intensity - the same setting I found best with OEM canon inks on
my printer, a canon i960. I have printed well over 1,000 photos with MIS
inks and have had no problems. I have already saved enough money on my ink
costs to pay for another printer should mine be damaged by aftermarket
inks.

m...

Old February 19th 05, 08:35 PM
measekite

I do not know. MOT.

I still would like to get answers to Moab. I heard that Kirkland paper
is Ilford and is good.

Burt wrote:

costco glossy photo paper and epson glossy photo paper in a canon i960.
great results and the weight of the costco paper and its smoother surface
makes it the better of the two IMHO. Refilling OEM carts with MIS inks.
Hard to tell the difference between MIS and canon OEM inks. Kodak paper
sucks and Canon photo paper pro and epson premium glossy photo paper are a
waste of money. By the way - are you really a measekite? I'm sure your
mother doesn't think so!

om...

Old February 20th 05, 01:16 AM
measekite

Burt,

What is the longest you have let you i960 sit idle without printing?
Ever have a head clog with MIS inks? Have you used any other 3rd party
BRANDED inks? If so what brand? Ever used any 3rd party NON-BRANDED
inks? If so what is the source to purchase?

I have a Canon IP4000 that I am happy with. I have had it for about 5
months and have about a third of the original carts. I am getting ready
to buy some replacements to have on hand. MIS interests me. But so do
the ones for $.250 a cart. I am concerned about head clogs.

Also, I have to make a choice if I do go with MIS as to replacement ink
cartridges or refilling my own, either OEM or a purchased set. I read
some of the instructions but it seems maybe a little messy to a big pain
in the ass.

By the way, I am a good looking "measekite".

Burt wrote:

[...]

om...

Old February 20th 05, 09:13 AM
Burt

"measekite" wrote in message
Burt,

What is the longest you have let you i960 sit idle without printing?

One week

Ever have a head clog with MIS inks?

not yet

Have you used any other 3rd party BRANDED inks? If so what brand? Ever
used any 3rd party NON-BRANDED

inks? If so what is the source to purchase?

Only MIS, but I did buy a set of inks from Computer Friends. Neil Slade
suggested that one should buy the kit from Computer friends because they
have the best plastic plug to use after refilling an OEM cart. I haven't
used their ink yet, but the plugs are really good. I believe that, if you
call them, they will sell you the plugs without your having to buy the
refill kit.

I have a Canon IP4000 that I am happy with. I have had it for about 5
months and have about a third of the original carts. I am getting ready
to buy some replacements to have on hand. MIS interests me. But so do
the ones for $.250 a cart. I am concerned about head clogs.

So far, no problem with MIS inks

Also, I have to make a choice if I do go with MIS as to replacement ink
cartridges or refilling my own, either OEM or a purchased set. I read
some of the instructions but it seems maybe a little messy to a big pain
in the ass.

I used MIS inks directly in the original OEM carts. Punched the little
plastic ball into the cart, used a syringe to refill, and used Computer
Friends plugs to reseal. If you read Neil Slade's web site regarding inkjet
printers, inks, and papers, you can adapt his technique to your style of
working and the refilling is not so messy once you get into a routine for
doing it. I am a retired dentist and rubber gloves and syringes are second
nature to me. If you haven't read Neil's info, go onto the following site -
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html - very wordy and sort of
disjointed, but really good information. Based on his info I bought the
Canon i960 and MIS inks. I am still useing the original OEM carts and
refilling them with MIS inks as necessary. I did buy a set of MIS virgin
carts and filled them. Their little rubber plugs are too small and
difficult to handle, but I will use them for my next set of carts. I don't
know whose carts I will buy next. I think that Neil likes inkgrabber
prefilled carts, and they can then be refilled. I would rather find empty
carts and stick with the ink I have been successful with. I might even
splurge and buy another set of Canon carts as I know they can be refilled
successfully and I can use MIS ink and Copmputer Friends plugs with them.

I do my refilling right at my desk in a room with a nice wool berber carpet
and haven't had a problem. I do it in a large plastic storage container to
contain any spills if they should happen. Before I open the cartridge I
open the ink bottle, draw ink into a syringe, CLOSE the bottle tightly to
avoid accidentally bumping it while open, and then do what Neil suggests -
with rubber gloves on put a finger under the hole that ink comes out of on
the bottom, open the top with the computer friends stopper, inject the ink,
and replace the stopper. Then I open the ink container, empty any excess
ink from the syringe back into the container and CLOSE tightly to avoid a
spill. All this is done over the plastic container. Wipe any excess ink
off the cart (always have plenty of paper towels before you start), pat the
bottom hole that the ink comes out of to be sure there is no excess there,
watch it for a bit to be sure there is no ink dripping out, and replace it
into the printer. I have a separate syringe for each color and have marked
them with the color so that, if there is any residue that isn't washed out,
I cant contaminate another color ink.

I would suggest that you start out doing refilling in a room where a spill
won't matter. I only started refilling at my desk when I had the confidence
(and the protective container) to do it in a more refined finished space.
If you have any questions, Neil is very gracious in answering and I will be
glad to help if I can. He is really the expert on these issues and I have
just followed his instructions. In essence, I am only one page in the book
ahead of you!

[...]

. com...

Old February 20th 05, 07:15 PM
measekite

That is place but I think they may have distributors and their site may
tell you where. I hear they are a reputable company and word has it
there papers are somewhat different and produce a somewhat different
effect. Maybe worth a try down the road for something different.

Burt wrote:

another MOT. Where, pray tell, does one get Moab paper??? In Salt Lake
City???
m...

Burt wrote:

costco glossy photo paper and epson glossy photo paper in a canon i960.
great results and the weight of the costco paper and its smoother surface
makes it the better of the two IMHO. Refilling OEM carts with MIS inks.
Hard to tell the difference between MIS and canon OEM inks. Kodak paper
sucks and Canon photo paper pro and epson premium glossy photo paper are a
waste of money. By the way - are you really a measekite? I'm sure your
mother doesn't think so!

.com...