BIOS password - stumped again

Old February 11th 11, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Retired

Default BIOS password - stumped again

ASUS 5189-1661 motherboard in an HP Pavilion m9402f.
Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00 PG
BIOS Revision 5.14 6/20/08
It's asking for a password to enter BIOS.
Googling around BIOS, CMOS, phoenix and PHOENIX were suggested.
None worked.
I see some jumpers on the motherboard but they are unidentified.
I finally found a picture of it. I drew a circle around the jumpers and
posted it at http://mewnlite.com/mboard.jpg
I can find no manual for the board anywhere.
Vista won't boot... missing some file. It asks for an installation CD which
naturally it didn't come with. No repair options. It probably has a restore
partition in which case I'll clone the drive to save the data and then put
it back to factory.
I guess the only reason I needed to go into BIOS was to see if the hard
drive was showing up. It does show up in the boot sequence so I guess
that's evidence enough.
The people who own this computer do not even know what BIOS means and they
definitely didn't password protect it.
Why is it that up to a couple of years ago, I could figure this kind of
stuff out on my own?
Am I getting old or what? :-)

Retired (Menno in disguise)

--
-- Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it! --

Old February 11th 11, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo[_4_]

On 02/11/2011 03:20 PM, Retired wrote:
[...]

Most of the time to reset the bios password all you need to do is
remove the cmos battery for a while and the bios should reset to default

It could take several minutes or longer for the charge to drain though
Old February 11th 11, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 2/11/2011 4:20 PM, Retired wrote:
ASUS 5189-1661

I take it that your idea is to find the 'clear CMOS' jumper so that you can
start over, hoping that clearing it will kill the password. Typically this
will be a 3-pin group with a jumper on, for example 1-2, and moving it to
the other side will disconnect the battery and short out the holding
capacitor on the CMOS VCC line. If you cannot identify the jumpers with
certainty there is another way to achieve the same result: turn off and
_unplug_ the computer, physically remove the battery, connect a resistor of
at least 10Kohm across the two exposed battery terminals on the MB and wait
a few minutes, remove the resistor replace the battery, plug in and turn
on. The CMOS will, for better or worse, have been cleared. There is _no_
_guarantee_ that this will actually clear the BIOS password and allow you
to get into it but the process has worked for me in the past. If you have
gotten to the stage where the computer asked for the password then you at
least have found the magic key combination so you have a starting point. As
you undoubtedly know the documentation for this HP computer is pathetic in
the extreme and contains not a single hint of 'technical' information.
Old February 11th 11, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

[...]

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=en&cc=us#N506
Instructions to clear BIOS password are found on this page.

Old February 12th 11, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 2/11/2011 4:54 PM, Pen wrote:
[...]

Great find. I did every sort of search I could think of and turned up
nothing of any use.
Old February 12th 11, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Retired

Pen wrote in
:

[...]

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...7135&tmp_track
_link=ot_recdoc/c01549580/en_us/c01357135/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us#N506
Instructions to clear BIOS password are found on this page.

What John said! :-)
And thanks!

--
-- Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it! --

Old February 12th 11, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

On 2/11/2011 8:49 PM, Retired wrote:
Pen wrote in
:

[...]

What John said! :-)
And thanks!

You're welcome. I searched on HP.com.
Old February 12th 11, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
darklight

Retired wrote:

Pen wrote in
:

[...]

What John said! :-)
And thanks!

just to let you know your motherboard is a m2n68-la if you look at the jpg
you supplyed it says that
Old February 12th 11, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GMAN[_13_]

In article Xns9E899C0D489ADbutter@wefb973cbe498, Retired wrote:
[...]

Its similar to this board

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c00907985.jpg

http://h10025.www1.hp.
com/ewfrf/wc/document?
lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c00907982&produ ct=3436820#N413

The BIOS password is used to protect BIOS settings from unwanted changes. If
you have forgotten your password you may disable password checking.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1.Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2.Locate the jumper labeled Clear P.W. The jumper is found at the lower right
edge of the motherboard.
3.Move the jumper on jumper Clear P.W to pins 1-2.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c00907990.jpg

4.Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
5.Hold down the F10 key during the startup process and enter BIOS setup to
change or clear the password.
6.After changing or clearing the BIOS passwords, remember to reset the jumper
to pins 2-3.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c00907987.jpg

HACK & CRACK email password with SpySolution. Yahoo Password Hackingand Hotmail Password Hacking with SpySolution [email protected] General 1 November 18th 08 08:20 AM
bios password YellowDog General 15 September 27th 08 05:33 AM
Supervisor Password vs BIOS Password Vince Dell Computers 5 July 30th 05 02:30 AM
BIOS Password [email protected] General 4 December 23rd 04 12:41 PM
stumped! will not go through BIOS sequence Neal McEwen Homebuilt PC's 6 November 2nd 04 12:36 AM