What Use Is a VGA to S-Video Adapter

Old December 10th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Jack Gillis

Default What Use Is a VGA to S-Video Adapter

I bought a VGA to S-Video Adapter to enable me to connect my laptop's VGA
output to a Projector via the S-Video input on the projector. (The projector
has only the S-video input.) The adapter is a 'y' type device with a
S-Video jack and a composite (RCA) jack.

It doesn't work.

I examined the pin out of the laptop's VGA and the pin in/out's of the
adapter. Pin 2 (Green) of the adapter connected the Chroma pin of the
S-video and pin 3 (Blue) connected to the Luma. This was true for two other
so called adapters.

How can that be expected to produce a signal the projector can use at its
S-video input?

What possible use does this type of so called adapter have?

Old December 10th 09, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Ken Maltby

"Jack Gillis" wrote in message
maker...
I bought a VGA to S-Video Adapter to enable me to connect my laptop's VGA
output to a Projector via the S-Video input on the projector. (The
projector has only the S-video input.) The adapter is a 'y' type device
with a S-Video jack and a composite (RCA) jack.

It doesn't work.

I examined the pin out of the laptop's VGA and the pin in/out's of the
adapter. Pin 2 (Green) of the adapter connected the Chroma pin of the
S-video and pin 3 (Blue) connected to the Luma. This was true for two
other so called adapters.

How can that be expected to produce a signal the projector can use at its
S-video input?

What possible use does this type of so called adapter have?

A "VGA to S-Video Adapter" is a Scan Converter not a cable,
UNLESS, the cable is something supplied by the manufacturer
to support a form of "TV Out" for their device. It has to be the
particular cable for that particular device, no other cable will work.

To have any useful reply to your post you would need to include
the Make&Model of each of the "VGA to S-Video Adapter"s
that you bought.

Luck;
Ken

Old December 11th 09, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

I bought a VGA to S-Video Adapter to enable me to connect my laptop's
VGA output to a Projector via the S-Video input on the projector. (The
projector has only the S-video input.) The adapter is a 'y' type device
with a S-Video jack and a composite (RCA) jack.
It doesn't work.

You need a VGA card that support that mode of operation, and it's not
easy to find one.

Most modern projectors have D-Sub or RGB in.... How old is that
projector? What other interfaces does it support?

Buy a video converter. It's more expensive though.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32
Old December 11th 09, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Jack Gillis

Yes, I now have a converter and is does the job.

Thank you.

"Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)" wrote in
message ...

Old December 11th 09, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Barry Watzman

I suspect that you bought a dedicated adapter designed for use only with
some video cards that actually had S-Video signals present at the VGA
connector (which is not standard). A generic adapter of this type would
be very complex and expensive and would not look like a cable .... it
would be an active device and, among other things, would need a power
supply.

Old December 11th 09, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Jack Gillis

Thank you.

I suspect you are right, Barry. I now have a converter and cloudy skies are
now serene.

Jack Gillis wrote:
I bought a VGA to S-Video Adapter to enable me to connect my laptop's VGA
output to a Projector via the S-Video input on the projector. (The
projector has only the S-video input.) The adapter is a 'y' type device
with a S-Video jack and a composite (RCA) jack.

It doesn't work.

I examined the pin out of the laptop's VGA and the pin in/out's of the
adapter. Pin 2 (Green) of the adapter connected the Chroma pin of the
S-video and pin 3 (Blue) connected to the Luma. This was true for two
other so called adapters.

How can that be expected to produce a signal the projector can use at its
S-video input?

What possible use does this type of so called adapter have?

DVI video adapter Ray Nvidia Videocards 2 August 1st 05 12:29 AM
Can't use pci video card as primary video adapter [email protected] General Hardware 7 September 5th 04 01:59 AM
Video Adapter jimbo Homebuilt PC's 1 April 4th 04 01:10 AM
S-Video to RCA adapter Andrew Weber Ati Videocards 3 June 26th 03 01:06 AM