Harddisk spinning noise

Old October 18th 03, 09:18 PM
Shepİ

Default Harddisk spinning noise

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:07:56 +0200, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs Halfgaar
wrote :

Hi,

I was wondering. Do most modern hard drives use liquid bearings? And if they
do, does that mean that their spinning noise is virtually nothing? When I
want a new harddrive, I want one that hardly produces any spinning noise. I
don't care about head noise, because it's only incidental. I know that the
Seagate Baracude ATA V (I believe it was the V) is a silent drive when it
comes to the spinning noise. I was wondering if all the differences in
noise hardwarereviewers talk about is in spinning noise or head noise and
how much difference there is in spinning noise among all the hardrives.

My Maxtor 40 gig is totally silent.My older IBM 20 gig is very quiet.
My 10 penn'th.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 18th 03, 09:44 PM
MrB

My ears aren't that great. I can't hear most modern hard drives spinning. I
generally think that if I can hear it, it might be on the verge of a
problem.

"Halfgaar" wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering. Do most modern hard drives use liquid bearings? And if

they
do, does that mean that their spinning noise is virtually nothing? When I
want a new harddrive, I want one that hardly produces any spinning noise.

don't care about head noise, because it's only incidental. I know that the
Seagate Baracude ATA V (I believe it was the V) is a silent drive when it
comes to the spinning noise. I was wondering if all the differences in
noise hardwarereviewers talk about is in spinning noise or head noise and
how much difference there is in spinning noise among all the hardrives.

--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.

Old October 18th 03, 11:25 PM
Robotnik

My dell notebook has a 60GB Hitachi drive (I forget all the speeds and what
not) but it's spinning bareley makes more noise than my breathing, although
it is inclosed in some mounting hardware all arround it, which silences it
some.

Also, a few days ago, a friend gave me a 10 GB drive that he ordered from
somewhere but never ended up using, still packaged, never used... I"m not
even sure what brand it is....it's probably some crap brand...looks pretty
cheapily built too, from the outside...but it's disk spinning is virtually
silent.

Nic

Old October 18th 03, 11:45 PM
Spajky

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:07:56 +0200, Halfgaar
wrote:

I was wondering. Do most modern hard drives use liquid bearings? And if they
do, does that mean that their spinning noise is virtually nothing? When I
want a new harddrive, I want one that hardly produces any spinning noise.

mostly yes & they are quiet BUT : when the warranty is over (few days
later) they tend to start be louder more and more ... after few months
later, they become noisy IMHO (my experience with my QuantumF+AS)

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old October 19th 03, 03:31 AM
kony

wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering. Do most modern hard drives use liquid bearings? And if they
do, does that mean that their spinning noise is virtually nothing? When I
want a new harddrive, I want one that hardly produces any spinning noise. I
don't care about head noise, because it's only incidental. I know that the
Seagate Baracude ATA V (I believe it was the V) is a silent drive when it
comes to the spinning noise. I was wondering if all the differences in
noise hardwarereviewers talk about is in spinning noise or head noise and
how much difference there is in spinning noise among all the hardrives.

Most do, but the popular WD "BB" and "JB" series do not, are
noticeably louder as a result.

Dave
Old October 19th 03, 02:34 PM
Halfgaar

Spajky wrote:

mostly yes & they are quiet BUT : when the warranty is over (few days
later) they tend to start be louder more and more ... after few months
later, they become noisy IMHO (my experience with my QuantumF+AS)

That would be quite inconvinient. Is that true for all brands?

--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.
Old October 19th 03, 02:37 PM
Halfgaar

Shepİ wrote:

My Maxtor 40 gig is totally silent.My older IBM 20 gig is very quiet.
My 10 penn'th.

And what is tottally silent? When I didn't pay any attention to noise, my
harddisk seemed quite silent too. But now, since I've made my computer much
more silent, when I spin down the drive almost all the noise is gone.

BTW, my current drive is a Seage Baracude ATA II, ball bearing I believe.
They have a reputation of being loud, but I don't know if people mean head-
or spinning noise with that.

--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.
Old October 19th 03, 04:58 PM
Shepİ

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:37:40 +0200, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

Shepİ wrote:

My Maxtor 40 gig is totally silent.My older IBM 20 gig is very quiet.
My 10 penn'th.

And what is tottally silent? When I didn't pay any attention to noise, my
harddisk seemed quite silent too. But now, since I've made my computer much
more silent, when I spin down the drive almost all the noise is gone.

My maxtor cannot be heard above the sound of my CPU fan which is very
quiet as I use an 80mm Case fan on my CPU at lower RPMs than the
supplied fan,
http://superfan.freewebspace.com/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 19th 03, 09:58 PM
kony

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:37:40 +0200, Halfgaar
wrote:

Shepİ wrote:

My Maxtor 40 gig is totally silent.My older IBM 20 gig is very quiet.
My 10 penn'th.

And what is tottally silent? When I didn't pay any attention to noise, my
harddisk seemed quite silent too. But now, since I've made my computer much
more silent, when I spin down the drive almost all the noise is gone.

BTW, my current drive is a Seage Baracude ATA II, ball bearing I believe.
They have a reputation of being loud, but I don't know if people mean head-
or spinning noise with that.

I usually refer to noise as the spinning, since many modern drives
have accoustic management settings to change the seek noise (speed).

Dave
Old October 19th 03, 10:07 PM
Spajky

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:34:52 +0200, Halfgaar
wrote:

Spajky wrote:

mostly yes & they are quiet BUT : when the warranty is over (few days
later) they tend to start be louder more and more ... after few months
later, they become noisy IMHO (my experience with my QuantumF+AS)

That would be quite inconvinient. Is that true for all brands?

not sure but as I found out about generally all stuff sadly last years
things happen just like this ... :-( ... (TVs, monitors, cars etc..)
throw after use production of latest years ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

psychological and extra David Taylor General 5 October 3rd 03 07:25 AM
Harddisk doesn't stop spinning! Patrick Graffeille General 1 August 24th 03 01:19 AM
clone harddisk Ralph Mowery General 1 August 24th 03 12:40 AM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM