BIOS - Supervisor & User password.

Old August 10th 03, 09:56 AM
WebWalker

Default BIOS - Supervisor & User password.

What is the different between "Supervisor" and "User" passwords in an
Award's Bios.

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old August 10th 03, 04:18 PM
Vanguard

"WebWalker" wrote in message

What is the different between "Supervisor" and "User" passwords in an
Award's Bios.

Supervisor password restricts who can get into the BIOS setup screens.
User password restricts who can continue the bootup process after the
BIOS has loaded its bootstrap loader (and before any operating system
gets loaded). One controls access to the BIOS setup, the other controls
the bootup.

If you have multiple users on a machine and you want to be the only
administrator of it, then you might want to set the Supervisor password
so other users cannot modify the BIOS settings.

If you are concerned about users walking up with a bootable floppy or
bootable CD to have the machine boot using their disk instead of the one
on the hard drive (thus circumventing the security in that operating
system and getting hold of all the hardware), set the User password.

Since these are in the BIOS, tis easy enough to open the case and short
the 2-pin header to clear the CMOS tables and reset back to the BIOS
factory defaults. So you might consider putting a lock on the case so
it cannot be opened.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address.

Old August 10th 03, 04:38 PM
Mike Walsh

Supervisor has unrestricted access to the BIOS. User can't change most settings.

WebWalker wrote:

What is the different between "Supervisor" and "User" passwords in an
Award's Bios.

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 11th 03, 03:18 AM
WebWalker

I do understand what you are saying but somehow I have try to set up a
Supervisor passwords and I'm actually having the option to protect my
Bios Setup screen or the Continuing Booting up process.

The same apply to the User passwords setting as well which I am also
having the same option. So I really can't tell the different between the
both ...

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

486DX4 BIOS upgrade ... rdlebreton General 1 July 31st 03 07:50 PM
Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters tb General 6 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
BIOS dead Frank General 1 July 4th 03 01:22 AM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM