AGP slot questions/and integrated video

Old September 12th 04, 02:03 AM
score755

Default AGP slot questions/and integrated video

have a few dumb questions, please tell me if I should have put this in
the motherboard section.

In short I need someone to explain some computer parts and terminology
for me. What what is an AGP adapter what is the difference between
4X AGP and 8X AGP. When it says 32 MB shared memory on the opening
screen, which I think is the BIOS, is that associated with integrated
video?

If you are wondering why I am asking these questions, this is the
situation. My motherboards booklet says has a 4X AGP slot the
website I bought it from say it is an 8X AGP slot. But it does say
"8x GF4 On Board" I'm guessing that is a AGP adapter (whatever that
is). Also it said "On Board AGP 64 MB VIDEO 3D" I guess that means
64 MB of shared memory but the BIOS says 32 MB.

I already confirmed these guys ripped me off on the processor, but
they are switching that out for the correct one.

Sorry for the long winded questions, I would greatly appreciate any
help, especially let me know if you feel I got a little jipted on a
few things. If anymore info is needed, please let

==============
Old September 12th 04, 05:28 AM
kony

On 11 Sep 2004 21:03:05 -0400,
lid (score755) wrote:

snip

If you are wondering why I am asking these questions, this is the
situation. My motherboards booklet says has a 4X AGP slot the
website I bought it from say it is an 8X AGP slot. But it does say
"8x GF4 On Board" I'm guessing that is a AGP adapter (whatever that
is). Also it said "On Board AGP 64 MB VIDEO 3D" I guess that means
64 MB of shared memory but the BIOS says 32 MB.

Booklets may not be updated accurately, sad but true.
Presumably from "GF4", your board has nForce2-IGP chipset,
and does support AGP 8X, however you might find that if
installing an AGP card, it is more stable at 4X.

The chipset can support 64MB allocated (shared) memory, but
there should be a bios setting that adjusts this, that
setting currently set to only 32MB.

I already confirmed these guys ripped me off on the processor, but
they are switching that out for the correct one.

I wouldn't worry about it, nForce2 is the best chipset for
socket A for "most" people. The board should still have all
base nForce2 features, regardless of documentation glitches.

Sorry for the long winded questions, I would greatly appreciate any
help, especially let me know if you feel I got a little jipted on a
few things. If anymore info is needed, please let

Whether you were taken is unknown, but nothing you've
provided indicates it, odds are you have what you should
expect, the typical and correct working board, but then you
didn't even mention the motherboard make/model.
Old September 12th 04, 10:10 PM
YanquiDawg

Well, the onboard video is an added chip to the motherboard that shares(uses)
system memory. These are usually pretty slow compared to even a seperate AGP
video card with the same chip. If you don't play the latest games then don't
bother replacing it. But if you want to play stuff like DOOM 3 or Far Cry(new
games) then you'll need a video card with much more ooomph!!
It's usually pretty easy to bypass or disable onboard video and install a new
card.

Old September 13th 04, 02:03 AM
~misfit~

YanquiDawg wrote:
Well, the onboard video is an added chip to the motherboard...

snip

Actually, in this case it's not an added chip at all, it's integrated into
the northbridge chip.
--
~misfit~

Video problems? Kedrid General 0 February 11th 04 07:32 PM
Video Card Help SteveC General 1 October 20th 03 07:08 AM
Where to get replacement video card fan? Or maybe just use a heatsink? Vanguard General 3 September 20th 03 07:24 PM
Nforce 2 onboard video - hows it compare to a Geforce 2 GTS card? kony General 1 August 31st 03 07:30 PM
dual video, xp, and software paranoid General 1 August 26th 03 04:43 AM