Computer restarts before windows loads

Old November 24th 03, 05:00 AM
GregorK

Default Computer restarts before windows loads

I have a major problem with my P.C restarting before windows 98 loads. If I
turn the power off and on at the plug it sometimes loads but then all of a
sudden I will open a folder or insert a CD and the computer restarts again.
Then it will keep on restarting without loading windows until I kill it at
the switch. I have recently replaced a power supply before I had this
problem as the computer would not start at all. Also I have replaced my RAM
and video card to see if it fixed the restarting problem.

Regards
gregork

Old November 24th 03, 05:34 AM
Smoker

"GregorK" wrote in message
I have a major problem with my P.C restarting before windows 98 loads. If

turn the power off and on at the plug it sometimes loads but then all of a
sudden I will open a folder or insert a CD and the computer restarts

again.
Then it will keep on restarting without loading windows until I kill it at
the switch. I have recently replaced a power supply before I had this
problem as the computer would not start at all. Also I have replaced my

RAM
and video card to see if it fixed the restarting problem.

You need a good quality PSU. They aren't all the same.

Old November 24th 03, 09:53 PM
Dan

Well you will get a variety of thoughts, here are a few that I have
experienced 1st hand :

Possible causes:

1) Your CPU voltage is too low, bump it up .1v or .2v

2) Your motherboard is shorting out somewhere, make sure you dont have any
extra standoffs underneath the board somewhere. Also make sure the
motherboard is not touching the case anywhere.

3) Power supply could be the problem, but usually, in my experience, with a
bad one, either the comp would simply not start or would shutdown not just
restart.

4) This is a bad one, check your motherboard capacitors. See if they are
flat like they should be and not raised in the middle and possibly leaking.
If the are raised and/or have residue on them they are bad and you will need
a new motherboard.

Hope that helps...

Dan

Old November 24th 03, 10:18 PM
Shep©

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:00:40 +1300, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "GregorK"
wrote :

I have a major problem with my P.C restarting before windows 98 loads. If I
turn the power off and on at the plug it sometimes loads but then all of a
sudden I will open a folder or insert a CD and the computer restarts again.
Then it will keep on restarting without loading windows until I kill it at
the switch. I have recently replaced a power supply before I had this
problem as the computer would not start at all. Also I have replaced my RAM
and video card to see if it fixed the restarting problem.

Regards
gregork

Try,"BLA"(Boot Log Analyser).
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
Get it to load enough to read the bootlog.txt and post only failures
and delays in separate sections in a post.This may give a clue and
narrow down the problem if it's software.
On the hardware side I would go straight for a RAM problem.If you have
two sticks try each on it's own in each slot and see what you get.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de