Monitor turns off on its own, then won't turn on

Old April 17th 04, 11:36 PM
monitorhelp

Default Monitor turns off on its own, then won't turn on

This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):

- I turn on the monitor
- The light goes on
- I turn on the computer
- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
- Monitor flashes briefly
- Then it turns off.

It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
until after one minute or so.

I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
However, this last time I had to do it twice.

Bad circuitry?
Old April 17th 04, 11:41 PM
Andrew J

This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):

- I turn on the monitor
- The light goes on
- I turn on the computer
- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
- Monitor flashes briefly
- Then it turns off.

It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
until after one minute or so.

I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
However, this last time I had to do it twice.

Bad circuitry?

Does that happen if you tap F5 at startup and enter safe mode? If not
it's most likely a driver problem. Go to Device Manager, delete the
video card(not disable) and reboot. That should straighten it out.
Old April 18th 04, 12:00 AM
Anon

monitorhelp wrote in message ...
This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):

- I turn on the monitor
- The light goes on
- I turn on the computer
- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
- Monitor flashes briefly
- Then it turns off.

It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
until after one minute or so.

I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
However, this last time I had to do it twice.

Bad circuitry?

If possible, try running that monitor off another computer or even a
notebook. Kind of sounds like the power supply in the monitor might be on
it's way out though. -Dave

Old April 18th 04, 12:03 AM
monitorhelp

The bios screen doesn't even post before the monitor shuts off. That's
why I think it's the circuitry. But it does flicker for just a second.

Perhaps the video card is sending something abnormal and the monitor
shuts off by way of a self-protection mechanism?

Old April 18th 04, 12:17 AM
SteveH

"Andrew J" wrote in message

This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):

- I turn on the monitor
- The light goes on
- I turn on the computer
- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
- Monitor flashes briefly
- Then it turns off.

It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
until after one minute or so.

I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
However, this last time I had to do it twice.

Bad circuitry?

Does that happen if you tap F5 at startup and enter safe mode? If not
it's most likely a driver problem. Go to Device Manager, delete the
video card(not disable) and reboot. That should straighten it out.

Not likely to be a driver problem as it doesn't get as far as Windows.

As it doesn't seem to be booting properly, I'm not sure it's anything to do
with the monitor. I would guess at the PSU in the PC being flakey, it might
be worth trying another one in it, if you have one avilable.

HTH
SteveH

Old April 18th 04, 06:45 PM
monitorhelp

DNG DING DING !! WINNER! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

But I've had it like this for years. Main reason I went to BNC was
because of the newer nVidia detenator drivers / iiyama refresh rate bug
(but I think that's fixed now). And sure enough, I left the old vga
cable connected. I'll try with just one cable. Thanks.

Aldo Larrabiata wrote:

iiyama monitor with both BNC inputs and a VGA socket ?

If yes, looks to be quite common. Try the other set of connectors
instead.

Old April 21st 04, 08:02 AM
monitorhelp

Well, I tried that and it's still turning off. Tomorrow I will try a
different computer. Could be the video card.