ZoneAlarm & home network

Old October 16th 03, 09:38 PM

Default ZoneAlarm & home network

I have networked my home computers but am unable to connect between
any 2 while ZoneAlarm is operating. Is it possible to use the network
while zonealarm is running?

Thanks
Mike

Old October 16th 03, 09:51 PM
gorf

wrote in message
I have networked my home computers but am unable to connect between
any 2 while ZoneAlarm is operating. Is it possible to use the network
while zonealarm is running?

Here's a suggestion... use a NAT device first & foremost. You may already
be using one, but NAT will block external threats (unless an internal source
instantiates it) AND give you the ability to have multiple computers on one
connection.

Now, using ZA is an okay idea... it will help prevent trojans and spyware
from communicating from your system to an external system. Of course, that
is dependent on you recognizing that spyware.exe is unwanted when it
attempts to make that first connection. I personally keep the client
firewall off because the ones I have used tend to hurt performance. The NAT
device and good AV software typically work (although it leaves a slight hole
for new trojans).

If you still use ZA, you will want to add the IP address of other machines
you trust in a "trusted zone". Then you can tell ZA to have high security
for everyone else, and low security for your trusted zone. At least you
will have the functionality you want.

--
gorf

Old October 17th 03, 04:22 PM
JULIAN HALES

wrote in message
I have networked my home computers but am unable to connect between
any 2 while ZoneAlarm is operating. Is it possible to use the network
while zonealarm is running?

Thanks
Mike

I have a large Lan with ZA on one machine, often it would crash and reset
all the IP's the other machines, all the others use kerio, oh and that one
too along with ZA.

Old October 18th 03, 10:18 AM
Gene Puhl

astounded us with: news:3f8efff2.76409062
@news.ozemail.com.au:

I have networked my home computers but am unable to connect between
any 2 while ZoneAlarm is operating. Is it possible to use the network
while zonealarm is running?

Thanks
Mike

I eschewed the Microsoft Internet Connection sharing thing in favor of my
own method.
All 5 of my PC's have a fixed IP address, ie, 192.168.0.x.
I D/l'd AnalogX's free "Proxy" program
http://www.analogx.com
Make the PC with the internet connection the server (this is for dialup)
In the client's web browser connection settings, select "use a proxy
server"
specify the ip of the server.
In Zone Alarm, enter the IP's of your LAN machines into the trusted zone,
done!
Proxy comes with full instructions, and works with MS Messenger, but not
ICQ. As I don't use either, it's not a problem to me

--
Gene P