CAD program dongle vs. Acer laptop

Old October 19th 06, 11:52 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
TeGGeR®

Default CAD program dongle vs. Acer laptop

X-posted to:
comp.sys.laptops
alt.comp.hardware
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,

Greetings,

I've been given a brand-new AMD-based Acer 5044WLMi laptop with WinXP. My
work requires that I use a certain DOS-based CAD program which uses a
dongle attached to LPT1. This dongle is seen properly by the same CAD
program running under WinXP on a Pentium-based desktop where the
motherboard has a built-in parallel port.

The laptop has no parallel port, but must be given one through a PCMCIA
parallel card. These are not cheap. We purchased a Quatech SPP-100. It
works just great, but the CAD program refuses to see the dongle no matter
how we tweak the settings in WinXP. (In fairness, the vendor did say there
was no guarantee the SPP-100 would work the way we needed.)

I know WinXP prohibits direct access to the hardware, something parallel-
port dongles seem to need, but that does not seem to be the problem here.
The CAD program makers refuse to support this version of the program any
more; they want eveybody to upgrade. We are, therefore, on our own.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas before we go buying any more PCMCIA
cards.

--
TeGGeR®

Old October 20th 06, 01:17 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Richard Urban

You are either going to have to update your CAD program or install it (the
DOS version) on a dedicated "older" computer and maintain that computer for
your CAD program. Windows 98se would seem like a good choice here.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Old October 20th 06, 02:13 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
budgie

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:52:42 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®" wrote:

[...]

I think you are going to have to upgrade the software or downgrade the machine.

The way that LPT-connected pass-through dongles work is that the software sends
information to the port without strobing, and the dongle responds when a key
byte sequence is seen. This is why they (in theory at least) don't interfere
with through traffic to the printer or other downstream device such as a
scanner.

Whether a PCMCIA card is capable of supporting this same functionality is
doubtful, as it would really be expecting the "normal" sequence of:
..load_data_port
..strobe
..wait_for_ack
..load_next_byte etc
and I'd be prepared to bet that any other port-replacements (eg using USB or
Firewire) would be spectacularly unsuccessful.
Old October 20th 06, 02:40 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
[email protected]

TeGGeR® wrote:

work requires that I use a certain DOS-based CAD program which uses a
dongle attached to LPT1. This dongle is seen properly by the same CAD

If you are not in the United States (where DMCA prevents fair use of
the type I'm about to describe) then your best, and only long-term
solution, is to find a crack for the program in question. I have a
similar situation with a compiler at an old workplace.

Moral for impressionable souls reading this thread: Don't allow your
proprietary data to be locked up in someone else's copy protection.

Old October 20th 06, 03:29 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
SMS

TeGGeR® wrote:

The laptop has no parallel port, but must be given one through a PCMCIA
parallel card. These are not cheap. We purchased a Quatech SPP-100.

Hmm, I' ve used the SPP-100 on programs where I was almost sure that it
wouldn't work and it did (http://www.macraigor.com/raven.htm). Yep, they
cost around $100. I bought a laptop with a parallel and serial ports
specifically because I knew that I'd need to use other programs that
require direct access.

You did make sure that you had the SPP-100 set to standard mode, with
EPP not enabled?

It also could be that the Quatech isn't providing a high enough voltage
on the pins to power the dongle. Remember, the dongle draws power from
signal pins, not a very kosher thing to do. I've seen this problem with
the Rainbow brand parallel port dongles with certain parallel port
chips. The parallel port manufacturer often uses the minimum voltage
specified by IEEE 1284 (2.4V) in order to reduce EMI, and the dongles
don't like this, even though the parallel port meets spec. You might try
measuring a logic high on one of the parallel port control lines and on
one of the data lines. If it's 3.0V or so, then you should be okay. If
it's the minimum (2.4V) then that may be the problem, and it might be
worthwhile to try a different brand of PCMCIA card, preferably the
oldest one you can find, and PCMCIA, not CardBus (or whatever
terminology you like to use)!

The other problem I saw with dongles is when the parallel port chip
tri-states the outputs between bytes. The way the dongle works is that
the software is using one of the eight data lines as a strobe, and the
other seven lines for data, but never uses the strobe. This is why
pass-through works on dongles, the printer never sees the data sent to
the dongle, because the strobe is never toggled. The dongles don't like
the data lines to be tri-stated, though there is really nothing illegal
about tri-stating them when the port isn't in use.

Look at "http://www.transdigital.net/info.htm". They do offer a
money-back guarantee.
Old October 20th 06, 12:05 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
CBFalconer

SMS wrote:
TeGGeR® wrote:

The laptop has no parallel port, but must be given one through a PCMCIA
parallel card. These are not cheap. We purchased a Quatech SPP-100.

.... snip ...

The other problem I saw with dongles is when the parallel port chip
tri-states the outputs between bytes. The way the dongle works is that
the software is using one of the eight data lines as a strobe, and the
other seven lines for data, but never uses the strobe. This is why
pass-through works on dongles, the printer never sees the data sent to
the dongle, because the strobe is never toggled. The dongles don't like
the data lines to be tri-stated, though there is really nothing illegal
about tri-stating them when the port isn't in use.

If that is the problem why not add pull-up resistors to the port
output lines, with an external supply (maybe 3 AA cells). About
4.7 k per line should do, for roughly 5ma max per line battery
drain. It can all be implemented in a small box.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Old October 20th 06, 03:16 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
TeGGeR®

SMS wrote in
:

TeGGeR® wrote:

The laptop has no parallel port, but must be given one through a
PCMCIA parallel card. These are not cheap. We purchased a Quatech
SPP-100.

Hmm, I' ve used the SPP-100 on programs where I was almost sure that
it wouldn't work and it did (http://www.macraigor.com/raven.htm). Yep,
they cost around $100. I bought a laptop with a parallel and serial
ports specifically because I knew that I'd need to use other programs
that require direct access.

All the ones available to me had no serial or parallel ports.

You did make sure that you had the SPP-100 set to standard mode, with
EPP not enabled?

There's no setting in Device Manager that would allow me to do this. I
tried changing all the options available except the I/O range.

snip

Look at "http://www.transdigital.net/info.htm". They do offer a
money-back guarantee.

I've emailed them, thanks for the link.

I also found this place: http://www.safe-key.com/
They have a utility on their Web site that will read the data on the
key. I have run that utility and sent them the data file. According to
Safe-Key's tech support, the dongle in question is highly sensitive to
timing.

Thanks to all for their help. Hopefully this will get resolved
successfully.

--
TeGGeR®

Old October 20th 06, 03:46 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
SMS

CBFalconer wrote:
SMS wrote:
TeGGeR® wrote:

The laptop has no parallel port, but must be given one through a PCMCIA
parallel card. These are not cheap. We purchased a Quatech SPP-100.

... snip ...
The other problem I saw with dongles is when the parallel port chip
tri-states the outputs between bytes. The way the dongle works is that
the software is using one of the eight data lines as a strobe, and the
other seven lines for data, but never uses the strobe. This is why
pass-through works on dongles, the printer never sees the data sent to
the dongle, because the strobe is never toggled. The dongles don't like
the data lines to be tri-stated, though there is really nothing illegal
about tri-stating them when the port isn't in use.

If that is the problem why not add pull-up resistors to the port
output lines, with an external supply (maybe 3 AA cells). About
4.7 k per line should do, for roughly 5ma max per line battery
drain. It can all be implemented in a small box.

On 1284 compliant ports, there should already be pull-ups. The instance
of this problem was with some weird SuperIO from some low-end Taiwanese
semiconductor company. You didn't see many in the U.S. except on no-name
motherboards because they didn't have a license to use the 16550 UART,
Old October 20th 06, 03:47 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
SMS

TeGGeR® wrote:

I also found this place: http://www.safe-key.com/
They have a utility on their Web site that will read the data on the
key. I have run that utility and sent them the data file. According to
Safe-Key's tech support, the dongle in question is highly sensitive to
timing.

Which brand of dongle is it?