Do I have 'SSE Support'?

Old February 4th 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Terry Pinnell

Default Do I have 'SSE Support'?

I'm downloading a trial of a video editor program called Adobe Premier
Elements (at 700 MB, my largest ever program download!). I've just
noticed that under System Requirements it includes;
"Intel® Pentium® (or compatible) 1.3GHz processor with SSE2 support.."

In the spec for my 5 year old Athlon 1800 512 MB I can see no mention
of "SSE Support" (whatever that is). How can I check whether or not I
have it please?

If it helps, here is the spec of my PC, which runs under XP Home
(SP1):

CPU = AMD Athlon XP1800+ with 512MB PC2100 DDR memory, m/b = ASUS
A7A266-E (+sound), BIOS = Award Software with ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS
v 1009, System Chipset = M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller, Buses
= AGP/PCI/USB, L2 On-board Cache = 256kB ECC synchronous write-back.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old February 4th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Nick Le Lievre

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I'm downloading a trial of a video editor program called Adobe Premier
Elements (at 700 MB, my largest ever program download!). I've just
noticed that under System Requirements it includes;
"Intel® Pentium® (or compatible) 1.3GHz processor with SSE2 support.."

In the spec for my 5 year old Athlon 1800 512 MB I can see no mention
of "SSE Support" (whatever that is). How can I check whether or not I
have it please?

If it helps, here is the spec of my PC, which runs under XP Home
(SP1):

I downloaded a trial of Adobe Premier Elements 2 and it required SSE2
support which the AthlonXP range do not support, unfortunately its one of
those rare instances where having a Celeron or Pentium4 CPU or newer Athlon
64 would be benefitial. So unfortunately you won't be able to run it as it
will inform you that it requires SSE2 support which your CPU doesn't have
when you try to start it.

Old February 4th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
1932

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I'm downloading a trial of a video editor program called Adobe Premier
Elements (at 700 MB, my largest ever program download!). I've just
noticed that under System Requirements it includes;
"Intel® Pentium® (or compatible) 1.3GHz processor with SSE2 support.."

In the spec for my 5 year old Athlon 1800 512 MB I can see no mention
of "SSE Support" (whatever that is). How can I check whether or not I
have it please?

If it helps, here is the spec of my PC, which runs under XP Home
(SP1):

CPU = AMD Athlon XP1800+ with 512MB PC2100 DDR memory, m/b = ASUS
A7A266-E (+sound), BIOS = Award Software with ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS
v 1009, System Chipset = M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller, Buses
= AGP/PCI/USB, L2 On-board Cache = 256kB ECC synchronous write-back.

Read this Terry. If your CPU is 3Dnow capable, (I
think it is), you should be fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

Old February 4th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Nick Le Lievre

"1932" wrote in message
Read this Terry. If your CPU is 3Dnow capable, (I
think it is), you should be fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

3D Now is different to SSE2 he needs SSE2 support which his CPU doesn't
have. I know it seems strange that an "Athlon 1800" won't be able to run a
program but its true.

Old February 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Terry Pinnell

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote:

"1932" wrote in message
Read this Terry. If your CPU is 3Dnow capable, (I
think it is), you should be fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

3D Now is different to SSE2 he needs SSE2 support which his CPU doesn't
have. I know it seems strange that an "Athlon 1800" won't be able to run a
program but its true.

Thanks both. You're right Nick. The download was faster than I
expected so I went ahead and tried installing - only to get the
message saying I didn't have SSE. Bummer...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old February 4th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
1932

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
. com...
"1932" wrote in message
Read this Terry. If your CPU is 3Dnow capable, (I
think it is), you should be fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

3D Now is different to SSE2 he needs SSE2 support which his CPU doesn't
have. I know it seems strange that an "Athlon 1800" won't be able to run a
program but its true.

Thanks Nick, I`ll try to remember that one.
1932

Old February 4th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Nick Le Lievre

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote:

"1932" wrote in message
Read this Terry. If your CPU is 3Dnow capable, (I
think it is), you should be fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

3D Now is different to SSE2 he needs SSE2 support which his CPU doesn't
have. I know it seems strange that an "Athlon 1800" won't be able to run a
program but its true.

Thanks both. You're right Nick. The download was faster than I
expected so I went ahead and tried installing - only to get the
message saying I didn't have SSE. Bummer...

Maybe its time to upgrade thats if your serious about running Adobe Premier
Elements, the Athlon 64 range support SSE2 and the venice cores SSE3 so with
a CPU like that you should be OK for now and future versions of Adobe
Premier Elements. Alternatively get a Celeron or Pentium4 but if your
prepared to spend some real money get a Core 2 Duo CPU.

Old February 4th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Jim Howes

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm downloading a trial of a video editor program called Adobe Premier
Elements (at 700 MB, my largest ever program download!). I've just
noticed that under System Requirements it includes;
"Intel® Pentium® (or compatible) 1.3GHz processor with SSE2 support.."

In the spec for my 5 year old Athlon 1800 512 MB I can see no mention
of "SSE Support" (whatever that is). How can I check whether or not I
have it please?

Not sure about your CPU, but to be sure, you need a utility that reads
the capabilities of your CPU via the CPUID instruction.

Such a beastie is he
http://www.jimhowes.org.uk/cpuid.exe
(although I think you're mad if you run unknown binaries that just
anyone has left on the net). You can find the source at
http://www.jimhowes.org.uk/cpuid.c
(The uBrand[x] = x stuff is annoying and 'orrid looking, but I just
couldn't get my head around MSVC's weird inline asm syntax. I'd do a
linux version, but you might as well cat /proc/cpuinfo )

If someone wants to extend that to add flags present in newer CPU's
please be my guest (but send me the changes, ok?)

Various other programs will read CPU flags.
I just successfully ran the windows .exe on a Fedora core 6 box. There
is just something so wrong about that.... It makes me feel all icky.. :-)
Old February 4th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Bruce Stephens

Jim Howes writes:

[...]

Various other programs will read CPU flags.
I just successfully ran the windows .exe on a Fedora core 6 box. There
is just something so wrong about that.... It makes me feel all icky.. :-)

Yeah. Apart from anything else "cat /proc/cpuinfo" would surely give
the same information on GNU/Linux?
Old February 4th 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Trev

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote:

"1932" wrote in message
Read this Terry. If your CPU is 3Dnow capable, (I
think it is), you should be fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

3D Now is different to SSE2 he needs SSE2 support which his CPU doesn't
have. I know it seems strange that an "Athlon 1800" won't be able to run a
program but its true.

Thanks both. You're right Nick. The download was faster than I
expected so I went ahead and tried installing - only to get the
message saying I didn't have SSE. Bummer...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Try Ulead
http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm