USB External Drive - recomendations?

Old October 27th 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Provocative

Default USB External Drive - recomendations?

Hi, I'm in the market for a USB External Drive, say around 200-300Gb, not
the portable type.
Backup software not essential as most bundles are not so good.
Cool, reliable, quiet.
Haven't got multiple PCs at home but would there be any advantages to
network storage?

Thanks.

-------------------------------------
www.indigo-silver.co.uk

Old October 28th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T Shadow

"Provocative" wrote in message
Hi, I'm in the market for a USB External Drive, say around 200-300Gb, not
the portable type.
Backup software not essential as most bundles are not so good.
Cool, reliable, quiet.
Haven't got multiple PCs at home but would there be any advantages to
network storage?

Thanks.

I have an ADS 5.25" enclosure that I put an old HDD into. Has a fan so isn't
totally quiet but can't hear it till the computer is turned off. Can also
put an optical drive in it instead.

Only benefits I can think of for NAS and 1 PC would be if you wanted to put
the drive farther away than a USB cable would allow or future use. IMHO NAS
is the way to go for 2 or more PCs if you can find one for around the same
price.

Old October 29th 06, 05:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"Provocative" wrote...
Hi, I'm in the market for a USB External Drive, say around 200-300Gb, not
the portable type.
Backup software not essential as most bundles are not so good.
Cool, reliable, quiet.
Haven't got multiple PCs at home but would there be any advantages to
network storage?

Shop around, pick your enclosure, and pick the drive(s) you want in it. For
a normal USB external, you can probably do this for less than a "prebuilt"
drive. Specifics on the enclosure depend on whether it will be running full
time or intermittently.

NAS may be a reasonable alternative. What are you going to use it for?

Old October 29th 06, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Indigo-Silver

To be used for backup so I thought NAS might be a neat way to provide on the
fly back-up rather than have to schedule or manually manage my back-up
routine - with appropriate NAS backup software of course, but I guess that's
another thread!

I wouldn't want to leave it on all the time, necessarily.

Yes I could buy a case and install a hard drive of my choosing - I hadn't
thought of that. Are there any disadvantages to doing this over a ready made
solution?

www.indigo-silver.co.uk - for Christmas!

"Provocative" wrote...

Old October 29th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

I highly recommend this enclosure with a normal Seagate SATA internal drive
installed:
http://www.aziocorp.com/product_detail/ENC311SU41.php

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

"Indigo-Silver" wrote in message
To be used for backup so I thought NAS might be a neat way to provide on
the fly back-up rather than have to schedule or manually manage my back-up
routine - with appropriate NAS backup software of course, but I guess
that's another thread!

I wouldn't want to leave it on all the time, necessarily.

Yes I could buy a case and install a hard drive of my choosing - I hadn't
thought of that. Are there any disadvantages to doing this over a ready
made solution?

www.indigo-silver.co.uk - for Christmas!

"Provocative" wrote...

Old November 2nd 06, 06:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
henry

I have an 3.25" enclosure and an old hd in it. The backup software is
uplus sync. The helpful program perfect support backing up to usb
drives.

Old November 3rd 06, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sdlomi2

"Indigo-Silver" wrote in message
To be used for backup so I thought NAS might be a neat way to provide on
the fly back-up rather than have to schedule or manually manage my back-up
routine - with appropriate NAS backup software of course, but I guess
that's another thread!

I wouldn't want to leave it on all the time, necessarily.

Yes I could buy a case and install a hard drive of my choosing - I hadn't
thought of that. Are there any disadvantages to doing this over a ready
made solution?

(snip) Probably the main advantage is the price is cheaper. [[I know a
couple of self-employed comp-repairmen who use harddrives running outside
ANY case/enclosure for intermittent backup. I guess that would run cooler,
huh? And if used only, say bi-weekly, maybe not too dangerous? These 2
guys operate "outside the box", using 'defective' parts for
building/repairing their own personal computers!]] But again the reason to
build your own is to save a little $, buying a decent hd on special sales
much cheaper than you'd be charged by co's selling to unknowing or
non-technical buyers. s

Part 2 of thread: Not internal SATA/PATA but external Warra Overclocking AMD Processors 27 July 13th 06 08:00 PM
SATA drives in the cosmos . . . I don't use no stinking drive sleds . . . Stan Shankman Storage (alternative) 0 May 12th 06 12:33 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo Storage (alternative) 37 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Help With Locked Hard Drive Louis Bybee Storage (alternative) 29 November 22nd 03 03:01 PM