Ati TV Tuner card

Old January 22nd 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PH

Default Ati TV Tuner card

I replaced an older tv tuner card with the pro version in the same PCI slot.
Now the PC dosen't boot half of the time. The PC would hang right after the
power button was pushed with the power and CPU leds lit but no screen. Is it
possible something as insignificant as this card could cause this?

Old January 22nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1932

"PH" wrote in message
I replaced an older tv tuner card with the pro version in the same PCI
slot. Now the PC dosen't boot half of the time. The PC would hang right
after the power button was pushed with the power and CPU leds lit but no
screen. Is it possible something as insignificant as this card could cause
this?

Did you first Remove the drivers for the old card ?.
Then fit the new card, and install the drivers afterwards ?.

Old January 22nd 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PH

I removed the old card first then unistalled the program from the add remove
in the Control Panel. Next I installed the new card and then the new
drivers. Maybe I didn't follow the right procedure. Should I reinstall the
old card so that I could remove the old drivers?

Old January 22nd 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Simon

PH wrote:
I replaced an older tv tuner card with the pro version in the same PCI slot.
Now the PC dosen't boot half of the time. The PC would hang right after the
power button was pushed with the power and CPU leds lit but no screen. Is it
possible something as insignificant as this card could cause this?

does the system boot ok without the card installed ? that should tell
you. If so then I would try another pci slot. If it still plays up then
try the card in another pc if you have access to one.
simon
Old January 22nd 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1932

"PH" wrote in message
I removed the old card first then unistalled the program from the add
remove in the Control Panel. Next I installed the new card and then the new
drivers. Maybe I didn't follow the right procedure. Should I reinstall the
old card so that I could remove the old drivers?

snipped

1.Uninstall old drivers.
2.Shutdown.
3. Fir new card.
4. Restart machine.
5. Machine should ask for drivers.

Old January 22nd 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PH

I was thinking of doing the same thing you suggest, using another PCI slot.
The PC does boot up without it. Could that PCI slot be bad?

Old January 22nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PH

1932
Other than uninstalling the program from the add/remove window how else can
I remove the drivers?

Old January 22nd 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1932

"PH" wrote in message
1932
Other than uninstalling the program from the add/remove window how else
can I remove the drivers?

In the Device Manager.

Old January 23rd 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Simon

"Simon" wrote in message
PH wrote:
I replaced an older tv tuner card with the pro version in the same PCI
slot. Now the PC dosen't boot half of the time. The PC would hang right
after the power button was pushed with the power and CPU leds lit but no
screen. Is it possible something as insignificant as this card could
cause this?

does the system boot ok without the card installed ? that should tell you.
If so then I would try another pci slot. If it still plays up then try the
card in another pc if you have access to one.
simon

You never know, and it's an easy test to try
Old January 24th 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PH

Simon

I put the old card back in that same pci slot and there are no more
problems. Is there another easier way of testing pci slots?

You never know, and it's an easy test to try