FX5200 AGP 3.0 x8 on ASUS P2B mobo, works on 3.3V ok?

Old December 13th 06, 05:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default FX5200 AGP 3.0 x8 on ASUS P2B mobo, works on 3.3V ok?

Has anyone tried using an FX5200 AGP 3.0 x8 card on an ASUS P2B
motherboard (rev 1.1 or something like that) which is only AGP 1.0, x2,
3.3V? In particular, an MSI FX5200-T128, 64-bit, half height, passively
cooled card (one of an apparently endless number of minor variants of
FX5200 MSI has, judging from their tech support section).

All the info on the web/usenet indicates it should work fine, and the
universal AGP connector of the card (keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5/0.8V)
further affirms this.

But... I asked MSI's tech support and they say "no". I assume their
tech drones are either not very knowledgeable or they have no "official
endorsement" for such usage (although I can't think of reason for them
to do that).

Old December 14th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

The old "AGP 1.0" standard of your motherboard may be the problem why a
modern video card will not work.

--
DaveW

----------------
ups.com...

Old December 14th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ehud Shapira

BigJim wrote:
I stuck one in a p3v4x worked fine but that is newer than the p2b.

Yes, newer and AGP 2.0.

Old December 14th 06, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ehud Shapira

DaveW wrote:
The old "AGP 1.0" standard of your motherboard may be the problem why a
modern video card will not work.

Of course that *might* be the problem (I haven't tried it yet), that's
exactly what I'm asking.

The thing is, everything on the web and Usenet indicates it should work
fine (although not MSI, but then again, tech support people tend to be
pretty misguided and non-helpful).

I just want to verify it's ok and not try something that might harmful.

Old December 14th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Ehud Shapira wrote:
DaveW wrote:
The old "AGP 1.0" standard of your motherboard may be the problem why a
modern video card will not work.

Of course that *might* be the problem (I haven't tried it yet), that's
exactly what I'm asking.

The thing is, everything on the web and Usenet indicates it should work
fine (although not MSI, but then again, tech support people tend to be
pretty misguided and non-helpful).

I just want to verify it's ok and not try something that might harmful.

I just tested it for you. I plugged an MSI FX5200 into my P2B-S
motherboard (440BX based) and it works fine. I booted into Knoppix
and it worked OK. This is not as strong an endorsement as running
it with a Windows OS, but I didn't want to have to install any
drivers, and booting my Knoppix 5.1 CD is great for fast tests.

I also tested an ATI 9800Pro, a card with universal keying on the
edge card, and I got the "three beep" code, which means the BIOS
was not able to see the card. If there is one weakness about my
setup, it is that the AGP slot and video cards, don't fit together
as well as they should. The card that fits the best, is my Geforce3
TI200, and that is the card I used when I was tightening up the
motherboard screws.

So it looks to me like your FX5200 purchase should be OK.

HTH,
Paul
Old December 14th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ehud Shapira

Thanks Paul.

Can you tell me the exact model or describe the MSI card? (Just to be
extra sure...

The 9800 would not work, but 9700 and 9500 should (according to info I
bumped into while looking around).

And after my recent conversation (of sorts) with MSI, as always, I'm
amazed by the lousiness companies have for technical support. There are
exceptions, but that's what they are, exceptions. :-/

Old December 14th 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Ehud Shapira wrote:
Thanks Paul.

Can you tell me the exact model or describe the MSI card? (Just to be
extra sure...

The 9800 would not work, but 9700 and 9500 should (according to info I
bumped into while looking around).

And after my recent conversation (of sorts) with MSI, as always, I'm
amazed by the lousiness companies have for technical support. There are
exceptions, but that's what they are, exceptions. :-/

I own two FX5200 cards.

The MSI one is FX5200-TD128 (602-8930-040 model number).

The EVGA one is 128-A8-N304-LX.

Both cards tested OK on the P2B-S (Knoppix boot test).

HTH,
Paul
Old December 14th 06, 07:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
123

Hi

I have a P2B motherboard, with a Gigabyte 5200 installed (GV-N52128DS). I
have been using this setup to do my Windows Vista testing. It has a
PowerLeap adapter with a 1.5GHz processor, 768 MB ram. The system gets a
performance rating of 1.7, and this is only due to the ram (motherboard
cannot take anymore)

The system runs with the Area Glass theme enabled and works surprisingly
well. It is very responsive.

So there is no reason why the card should not work.

Good Luck

Brett

Old December 14th 06, 12:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Daniel Mandic

123 wrote:

Hi

I have a P2B motherboard, with a Gigabyte 5200 installed
(GV-N52128DS). I have been using this setup to do my Windows Vista
testing. It has a PowerLeap adapter with a 1.5GHz processor, 768 MB
ram. The system gets a performance rating of 1.7, and this is only
due to the ram (motherboard cannot take anymore)

The system runs with the Area Glass theme enabled and works
surprisingly well. It is very responsive.

That's the BX... latency as a dual-channel board with DDR2 RAM. Well,
not the same throughput, but I have never seen 700MB loaded in one
second..... not even on a machine with 7GB/s RAM speed. BX is about
300-900MB/s (raw)...

So there is no reason why the card should not work.

and even more decent one...

Good Luck

Brett

Best Regards,