About Kill filing skybuck

Old June 5th 21, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default About Kill filing skybuck

I kill filed Skybuck long ago. But with my newsreader, his posts still
show if someone replys to his post..... so I don't see his post, but
do see the reply, so I keep getting his nonsense. Am I doing the kill
file wrong, or is this the way it's supposed to work? For what it's
worth, I'm using Agent as a newsreader, but it's an old version,
haven't updated in years.
Old June 5th 21, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
s|b

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 09:52:28 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

I kill filed Skybuck long ago. But with my newsreader, his posts still
show if someone replys to his post..... so I don't see his post, but
do see the reply, so I keep getting his nonsense. Am I doing the kill
file wrong, or is this the way it's supposed to work? For what it's
worth, I'm using Agent as a newsreader, but it's an old version,
haven't updated in years.

Set you kill filter to 'Ignore thread' instead of 'Delete'.

--
s|b
Old June 5th 21, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

I kill filed Skybuck long ago. But with my newsreader, his posts still
show if someone replys to his post..... so I don't see his post, but
do see the reply, so I keep getting his nonsense. Am I doing the kill
file wrong, or is this the way it's supposed to work? For what it's
worth, I'm using Agent as a newsreader, but it's an old version,
haven't updated in years.

From your headers since you never bothered to identify "my newsreader":

Their newsgroup is over at ---.
..-----------------------------'
'--- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

In my client (40tude Dialog), there is the option "Watch/ignore works on
subthreads". My rules will flag unwanted posts (set Ignore flag), and
my default view is to Hide Ignored Messages. The unwanted post gets
ignored (hidden), and so do all replies to it (subthreads).

https://www.forteinc.com/release/notes.php?id=40
Ignore Subthread
In previous versions of Agent you could ignore an entire thread. In this
case Agent would retrieve the message headers in the thread but mark
them all read. Now you can select a message anywhere in a message thread
and ignore that message and any messages that are part of the response
thread to that message. In other words, you can now ignore subthreads ,
not just entire message threads. Message filters that use the Ignore
option can be pinpointed to specific subthreads.

That was back in version 4, so it should be available in your verion 7.
Their on-site help seems rather dismal, like a bunch of videos on a few
categories, and an incomplete FAQ (well, absent since I get "500
Internal Server Error - The server encountered an unexpected condition
that prevented it from fulfilling the request", and that's been a defect
for eons), and no detailed online manual, especially considering that
they sell a payware product. Because of their crappy online docs, I
could not delve into the settings to see which might apply against
subthreads.

The last free version was 3.3. Since v7 is payware, why not contact
them for support at https://www.forteinc.com/contact/agent.php? They
don't operate their own web-based forums. Other than contacting them,
their peer community is in the mentioned newsgroup. Ask there about a
setting in Agent that has an option to apply rules on subthreads.