My rights...

Old October 2nd 03, 02:33 PM
Ryuumeiko

Default My rights...

I've just brought a Bluetooth adaptor for my laptop... And now found
out my new 'phone doesn't have bluetooth.

The shop claims it doesn't take returns or refund 'if you change your
mind about the goods'...

Is there any basis I can get a refund? (I brought it 10 minutes ago!)
Or anyone want to buy one? *sigh*

~Ryuumeiko...
Old October 2nd 03, 02:53 PM
JULIAN HALES

if the shop said it had b/t features on the fone or was compatable then for
sure a refund, not sure if you jsut buy somthing and find out its not
compatable, most places will refund as goodwill

Old October 2nd 03, 06:46 PM
Andy

AFAIK, if it's a shop bought purchase, and it's a walk-in - you walk in, say
I want that, and buy it rather than being advised by the shop of a products
suitability - then the shop is correct in it's interpretation of current
consumer law. You're entitled to a refund if a) the product is not as
described, b) faulty on first examination or within a short period of time,
or c) not of satisfactory quality. Changing your mind, or buyer's remorse
isn't a legal reason for a refund.

If you haven't used the item, it's not been opened and is in 'as new'
condition, then clearly they're just being w'kers about it. Try going in,
speaking clearly and calmly to the manager, and appealing to his better
nature. Alternatively, go in when they're at their busiest, and simply argue
your case calmly and clearly. Might embarrass them into refunding.

Old October 2nd 03, 08:13 PM
Paul Hopwood

Ryuumeiko wrote:

I've just brought a Bluetooth adaptor for my laptop... And now found
out my new 'phone doesn't have bluetooth.

The shop claims it doesn't take returns or refund 'if you change your
mind about the goods'...

Is there any basis I can get a refund? (I brought it 10 minutes ago!)
Or anyone want to buy one? *sigh*

Unless a member of staff advised the product was suitable for your
requirements the shop isn't obliged to accept it back for a refund.

Most will offer a refund if the goods are still packaged and in
saleable condition but it's purely down to goodwill. If they refuse
I'm afraid there's little you can do except put it down to experience
and perhaps naming the company here so you and others can consider
taking their business elsewhere in the future.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old October 3rd 03, 02:14 PM
lbockhed

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

if this is any typical mobile phone shop, the manager will be under strict
instructions not to give refunds.

sounds like phone4u, remember this company, part of singlepoint, regularly
charges customers after they cancel mobile phone contracts with them, they
are on very tight margins and wont make a loss if at all possible, no matter
how they look like to other potential customers,

Old October 3rd 03, 03:35 PM
dg

This is a good reason to upgrade to a bluetooth phone!

The shop does not have to take it back unless faulty.
Are you sure it was not faulty when you bought it? (been dropped,
shortcircuited, etc)
;o)

Alternatively, some software licence agreements allow you to reject the
terms and return the product.

Also, are there any "fit for purpose" issues - ie the bluetooth will not
work on your machine even though it is supposed to?

dg