Cheap Graphics Card Update

Old August 20th 04, 04:53 PM
Greedy G

Default Cheap Graphics Card Update

Hi

I'm currently using a Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb card in an Athlon XP 2400+ PC
with 512mb DDR ram.

I'm looking to upgrade to a card that I can comfortably play the newer games
on such as Pro Evolution Soccer 4 when it comes out.

I have around 75 UKP to play with only as I'm on a tight budget, would the
following 9600 256mb card suffice?

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/...cecompariso n

I'm aware that I could get a good card on EBay for the price but I'd rather
buy from a shop so that I have a warranty in case of anything going wrong.

Thanks

Old August 20th 04, 05:11 PM
Cuzman

"Greedy G" wrote in message

" I have around 75 UKP to play with only as I'm on a tight budget, would
the following 9600 256mb card suffice? "

Someone over at 'uk.comp.home-built' said that his local PC World were
selling OEM 128MB PNY 5700 Ultras for £69. The faster card will do more
good than the extra memory on your system. Read this article for a good
measure of their comparison:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/

Old August 20th 04, 05:49 PM
Augustus

"Greedy G" wrote in message
Hi

I'm currently using a Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb card in an Athlon XP 2400+ PC
with 512mb DDR ram.

I'm looking to upgrade to a card that I can comfortably play the newer

games
on such as Pro Evolution Soccer 4 when it comes out.

I have around 75 UKP to play with only as I'm on a tight budget, would the
following 9600 256mb card suffice?

A straight 9600 256Mb is a so-so card. That same website sells a 9600XT
128Mb for 88UKP that is twice the card of the straight 9600. You don't need
256Mb of slow, slow 200Mhz memory on your card.

Old August 21st 04, 03:54 AM
Mac Cool

"Greedy G" said:

I'm looking to upgrade to a card that I can comfortably play the
newer games on such as Pro Evolution Soccer 4 when it comes out.

The 9600 will be a significant upgrade from your MX440, I'm not familiar
with the game you mention so I can't answer any better than that.
--
Mac Cool
Old August 21st 04, 10:30 AM
Greedy G

Thanks for the help all.

A mate pointed me in the direction of the following card:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...3978&GroupID=0

I think I'll go for this one - a 9600 PRO for 74UKP.

Cheers

Old August 21st 04, 10:56 AM
Aki Peltola

"Greedy G" wrote
I think I'll go for this one - a 9600 PRO for 74UKP.

Well that's the minimun card for games novadays, but
if you're not used to 60fps framerates anyway then it
should be sufficient :-)

Old September 6th 04, 05:07 PM
wired and confused

Well u will get 60 fps in older games like dx 8.1 type but new games like dx
9. with all those new settings in new games You wont be able to get frame
rate of umber card but it will be sufficent.
"Greedy G" wrote