Rip-off artists

Old February 20th 05, 02:00 AM
aether

Default Rip-off artists

That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
realize this.

Old February 20th 05, 12:40 PM
John Russell

"aether" wrote in message
oups.com...
That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
realize this.

What about R&D?
If we follow your logic all semi-conductor products should be free becuase
the raw material is "sand".

Old February 20th 05, 02:37 PM
Ben Pope

John Russell wrote:
What about R&D?
If we follow your logic all semi-conductor products should be free
becuase the raw material is "sand".

Exactly. It's like saying that software should be free, 'cos you can get it
online using electrons that are recyclable.

Ben

Old February 20th 05, 03:01 PM
John Russell

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
John Russell wrote:
What about R&D?
If we follow your logic all semi-conductor products should be free
becuase the raw material is "sand".

Exactly. It's like saying that software should be free, 'cos you can get
it online using electrons that are recyclable.

That's right. The manufacturing cost of software is naff all, the price of a
cd! What your paying for is a "share" of the interlectual effort required to
"design" the software.

Old February 20th 05, 05:14 PM
Colon Terminus

VIdeo cards?

The newer video cards are, in fact, a very powerful computer-on-a-board. The
GPU is actually more powerful than most current CPUs. Video cards are one of
the better bargains to be had today. You wanna carp about prices? Start with
memory. No reason in the world that vanilla DDR should cost what it does.

oups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 08:32 PM
Trinity

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:00:53 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Okay, comrade.

Jon

Ya, every home will have a CBJ10 model computer installed at the price
of ten Copeks per year. Oh, and Government agency logging software is
freely installed too.
Old February 20th 05, 08:47 PM
Gregory Toomey

aether wrote:

That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
realize this.

Fab plants start at $1 billion.
$50 Graphics cards are faster than supercomputers of 20 years ago.

If you dont like capitalism move to North Korea.

gtoomey

Old February 20th 05, 09:25 PM
aether

It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.

The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
in overpricing. (e.g. theft)

Old February 21st 05, 01:41 AM
Richard Hopkins

"aether" wrote in message...
A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If that's not a form
of larceny, what is?

If you don't want to pay that amount of money, there are plenty of cheaper
products. If you want to live on the bleeding edge, and have the absolute
fastest, you will have to pay top dollar for it. That's market forces.

For a video card that will be obsolete in less than three, perhaps
two, years.

The video card market is only turning over at the rate it is because there
are plenty of gamers and benchmark ******s out there prepared to pay for the
latest and greatest. If you don't want to pay, nobody's forcing you.

The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market.

No, it's primarily because of customers.

They must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This
results in overpricing.

....but if they price the products out of the market, nobody buys the
merchandise, no profits, and no stock value.

(e.g. theft)

Rofl, get a life. It's hardly theft if the buyer willingly hands over the
money. It's a transaction is what it is, and if there are people willing to
pay that sort of money for a graphics card, there's no reason why companies
shouldn't satisfy that demand.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom