Dell Inspiron mini 10V

Old April 6th 12, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Menno Hershberger

Default Dell Inspiron mini 10V

It's a mini notebook. The hard drive was shot. I installed a new one.
I'm using a Dell XP Home restore CD to restore it.

After XP installed, the hard drive comes up as drive E:
There's no CD drive in it so I'm using an external one to install. It shows
up as D: What is showing up as C: is a "Removable Disk".
In Device Manager it's called a Generic- Multi-Card USB Device.
In reality it is a built in card reader.
There's no trace of it in BIOS. If I disable legacy USB support then I
can't boot off the CD.
Back into installation again. I have deleted the existing Windows partition
(that I just installed) and am now down to Unpartitioned Space and "Unknown
Disk" followed by "(There is no disk in this drive)"

Basically, I want the hard drive to come up as C: That's the way it was
before and that's the way I want it now.

Surely there's an easier way than taking the thing apart and disconnecting
the card reader. With my luck, it'd probably still show up anyway.

I am starting over again at this moment, but I haven't changed anything and
I don't expect anything different.

Ideas?

--
-- I'm out of white ink --

Old April 6th 12, 06:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Menno Hershberger

Menno Hershberger wrote in

[...]

OK. Scratch that one. The second time around it turned up as C drive!

All I've got left now is an Unknown Device I haven't figured out yet. I'll
try to Google my way through that one.

If not.... I'll be back! :-)

--
-- I'm out of white ink --

Old April 6th 12, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Menno Hershberger wrote:
[...]

One site mentions:

"The only unknown device was the battery driver and I downloaded the
Mini 10v XP driver from the Dell website which worked fine. I also
installed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the Dell website to
enable scrolling to work."

I'd take a skim through the Dell drivers, and see which ones you haven't
got yet.

HTH,
Paul
Old April 7th 12, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Menno Hershberger

Paul wrote in :

Menno Hershberger wrote:
[...]

It was "Dell Battery Meter/Wireless Select Switch".

--
-- I'm out of white ink --

Old April 7th 12, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 4/6/2012 6:28 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
wrote in :

Menno Hershberger wrote:
Menno wrote in

[...]

If I recall correctly, you an even uninstall the utility after you have
installed it, and the driver bit will stay behind. There's really no
reason to do that, but just a bit of trivia for you.

Old April 7th 12, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Menno Hershberger

Grinder wrote in
:

On 4/6/2012 6:28 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
wrote in :

Menno Hershberger wrote:
Menno wrote in

[...]

Interesting :-)
I'll try to remember and try that on the *next* one!

--
-- I'm out of white ink --