Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives

Old July 1st 09, 08:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
the world according to me

Default Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives

Arno wrote:

Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
whilc the top side does not.

Arno

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.
Old July 1st 09, 03:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"the world according to me" wrote in message
Arno wrote:

Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
whilc the top side does not.

Arno

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous post as to why. I'm a gamer
so my PC gets a good workout and have never used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues
with heat on the HDDs.

Agreed. I've been using 10/15K SCSI drives for 8 years, leaving space above/below them. My only
extra fan is a 120mm exhaust.

Old July 1st 09, 11:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Arno wrote:

Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
whilc the top side does not.

Arno

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.

The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
cooling is needed.

Arno
Old July 1st 09, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

the world according to me wrote:
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
I think you should cool the upper side....

If your pC has good air circulation you don't need any dedicated cooling
for the HDDs at all. I've never used them and have never had issues with
heat and HDDs either. I have 3 HDDs in my main PC and heat is just not
a problem because that PC has good air circulation. People with loads of
fans in their cases are just attacking the issue from the wrong angle
and is overkill.

I think the problem is that many PCs do not have good airflow.
Direct cooling of the disk is a stopgap in these cases. I also
have a disk with noise insulation, which would die very fast
without a fan. This is a decidedly non-standard situation though.

First thing to do when getting a new case is get one with good
ventilation on the front, next cut out those stupid exhaust mesh grills
on the back of the case.

I couldn't agree more. I have a very old case that went from constant
overheating to reasonable airflow with this.

Those impede air flow greatly and cause noise
due to turbulence. Do those two things when getting a new case and heat
will not be an issue. Problem with many of today's cases on the market
is that they have stupid doors on the front so there is no ventilation.
Doors are just a bad idea all around. Who wants to have to open a door
every time you want to change the cd in the drive? Not me, I avoid cases
with doors like the plague.

I guess this is a case of form over function. But if you
are lucky the door is bad enough that it falls off after a while
anyways.

Arno

Old July 1st 09, 11:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Fred[_13_]

Arno wrote:

Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
whilc the top side does not.

Arno

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have
never used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat
on the HDDs.

The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
cooling is needed.

And he commented on whether extra cooling is needed at all.

He's right, it normally isnt.

Old July 2nd 09, 05:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
DevilsPGD[_3_]

Arno wrote:

Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
whilc the top side does not.

Arno

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.

The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
cooling is needed.

If cooling isn't needed at all then it doesn't matter what you cool.
Old July 2nd 09, 08:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Fred[_13_]

Arno wrote:
the world according to me wrote:
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
I think you should cool the upper side....

If your pC has good air circulation you don't need any dedicated
cooling for the HDDs at all. I've never used them and have never had
issues with heat and HDDs either. I have 3 HDDs in my main PC and
heat is just not a problem because that PC has good air circulation.
People with loads of fans in their cases are just attacking the
issue from the wrong angle and is overkill.

I think the problem is that many PCs do not have good airflow.

Most dont need that because they only have one hard drive
and the airflow they do have is adequate in that situation.

Direct cooling of the disk is a stopgap in these cases.

Only necessary if you have more than one hard drive and not
always even then if you can have a spare slot between drives.

Old July 3rd 09, 01:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message Arno
was claimed to have wrote:

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.

The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
cooling is needed.

If cooling isn't needed at all then it doesn't matter what you cool.

You still are cooling by case airflow, so you need free space top and bottom.

Old July 3rd 09, 01:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jed Clampett

Eric Gisin wrote:

You still are cooling by case airflow, so you need free space top and
bottom.

Yes, I never put 2 HDDs right next to each other for that reason.