Problem to read data from 5.25 floppy disk.

Old June 9th 09, 02:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mew

Default Problem to read data from 5.25 floppy disk.

On Jun 8, 9:20*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Mew wrote

Franc Zabkar wrote
Mew wrote
this weekend I try to plug my old 5.25 flopppy disk to read my old
data that I used on my 80286
My recent PC doesn't support two floppy, so I plug it instead of the
3.5 floppy and setup in the bios to 3.5 720k because in that bios I
have only choice of 1.44 or 720k
under windows xp, I could read some disk, but somes not.
Then I decided to plug it onto an older pc that support 5.25 in the
bios, in this one I have choice between 5.25 360k and 1.22
I successfully setup it in the bios, I can still boot on the floppy
drive 3.5 A: and it detect floppy drive B:
I boot first with a win98se boot disk, but I cannot read disk, I
just get error message: General failure reading drive B
so I decide to make another boot disk of dos 3.3 maybe its because
the file system on the floppy is different than the one that
win98se used. and I get the same error.
Now I am out of ideas, any suggestions ? In the bios I try both 360k and 1.22
What is the brand and model number of your 5.25" drive?
Do you have any blank 5.25" diskettes? If so, try to format them.
Check your diskettes for scratch marks or mould by spinning them
manually inside the jacket.
Use DOS Debug to view the diskette's boot sector as follows:
debug
-L 100 1 0 1
-D 100 2FF
-Q

I just check the model and it is panasonic ju-475-4

Thats a 1.2MB drive, so if you're trying to format 360K disks in it, that would explain the result you are getting.http://insight.actapricot.org/insigh...y/pa475-4f.htm

I try to format a disk but I got error: Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable

What does the label on the media say ?

Double Side and Double Density

I just try with format of win98se with /F:360 and /4 and another time
with /F:1.22 and it is formatting until the end it say: Unable to
write BOOT
Old June 9th 09, 03:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Mew wrote:
[...]

Thats the problem, you need High Density to format them 1.2MB.

Those are 360K media.

I just try with format of win98se with /F:360 and /4 and another time
with /F:1.22 and it is formatting until the end it say: Unable to write BOOT

Thats normal, it doesnt check whats working during the format
phase, just when it tries writing the boot sector to the floppy.

Old June 9th 09, 01:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mew

On Jun 8, 10:19*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Mew wrote:
[...]

Ok, si if I understand right, 1.22 floppy cannot read/write low
density media ?

but I just try to read a high density media, old microsoft windows 3.0
disk that is labeled as high density disk 1.22 and it doesnt read, I
think the head is dirty. I will try to clean it
Old June 9th 09, 07:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Mew wrote:
[...]

Yes it can do both.

but I just try to read a high density media, old microsoft windows 3.0
disk that is labeled as high density disk 1.22 and it doesnt read, I
think the head is dirty. I will try to clean it

Yeah, that likely is the problem. Or the drive has died.

Old June 10th 09, 01:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mew

Mew wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that likely is the problem. Or the drive has died.- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Hi ^^ I just try to clean the head and now it can read some disk, so I
try to use disk2fdi with apple II disk to make an image and it read
fine, but for some disk, the floppy have made a strange noise while
reading and when I check on the disk the floppy have made a white grey
line on the disk, I think the drive have scratch the disc, I don't
know what happened exactly, sometime the device still spin when I get
out the disc. Do you think I should buy another floppy ?
Old June 10th 09, 06:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Mew wrote:
[...]

Yep, thats what that means.

I don't know what happened exactly,

Maybe the heads are defective and thats whats scratching the media.

sometime the device still spin when I get out the disc.
Do you think I should buy another floppy ?

Depends on how much you want that old data.