Sinking, sinking, ...

Old December 21st 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Willy

Default Sinking, sinking, ...

Seems Dell is continuing to get MUCH worse:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell
Old December 21st 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

does anyone actually think resellerratings information is meaningful? it is
a place where unhappy people go to die.
as bad as you think resellerrattings numbers for dell are, have a look at
toshiba, gateway, hewlett packard, compaq, and emachines... dell still tops
them all. given that all the majors numbers are so bad, if i were dell i
would take their numbers as a compliment since they are king of the pack.

Old December 22nd 06, 02:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J. Brad

"Willy" wrote in message

Seems Dell is continuing to get MUCH worse:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell

Yes, I believe Resellerrratings more than I believe other sources like
Consumer Reports. At least nobody is probably being paid by posting. Not
sure what "a place where unhappy people go to die" means???
Personally, I believe Dell is still better than some of the other
companies; however, I do believe Dell has gone WAY down hill over the
past few years. I've been a Dell customer for about 12 years. In
addition, I service many Dell products. The products are still OK ( I
think the laptops not well built), but the customer service has become
terrible.
Old December 22nd 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

"Willy" wrote in message

Seems Dell is continuing to get MUCH worse:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell

Yes, I believe Resellerrratings more than I believe other sources like
Consumer Reports. At least nobody is probably being paid by posting. Not
sure what "a place where unhappy people go to die" means???
Personally, I believe Dell is still better than some of the other
companies; however, I do believe Dell has gone WAY down hill over the
past few years. I've been a Dell customer for about 12 years. In
addition, I service many Dell products. The products are still OK ( I
think the laptops not well built), but the customer service has become
terrible.

"I think the laptops not well built..."

Which laptops you think not well built, kemo sabe.

Me think'm Latitude very good.

Notan
Old December 22nd 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J. Brad

Notan wrote:

"Willy" wrote in message

Seems Dell is continuing to get MUCH worse:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell

Yes, I believe Resellerrratings more than I believe other sources like
Consumer Reports. At least nobody is probably being paid by posting. Not
sure what "a place where unhappy people go to die" means???
Personally, I believe Dell is still better than some of the other
companies; however, I do believe Dell has gone WAY down hill over the
past few years. I've been a Dell customer for about 12 years. In
addition, I service many Dell products. The products are still OK ( I
think the laptops not well built), but the customer service has become
terrible.

"I think the laptops not well built..."

Which laptops you think not well built, kemo sabe.

Me think'm Latitude very good.

Notan

In my opinion, the Inspirons are poorly and cheaply built. Yes, the
Latitudes are a bit better in build quality. I always recommend the IBM
Thinkpads if one wants a well built laptop. Also, Toshiba is makes a
good laptop as well.
Old December 22nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"J. Brad" wrote in message
Notan wrote:
"J. Brad" wrote:

Christopher Muto wrote:

does anyone actually think resellerratings information is meaningful?
it is
a place where unhappy people go to die.
as bad as you think resellerrattings numbers for dell are, have a look
at
toshiba, gateway, hewlett packard, compaq, and emachines... dell still
tops
them all. given that all the majors numbers are so bad, if i were dell
would take their numbers as a compliment since they are king of the
pack.

"Willy" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I own three Dells and one Toshiba.

The Inpsirons are showing wear, but they're my teenagers and teenagers are
tough on laptops.

The Toshiba is just cheap.. Very cheap.

Thinkpads are the best

Old December 22nd 06, 05:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I've just taken apart and put together several Dell Latitudes and IBM Thinkpads.
No doubt that the Thinkpads are more ruggedly made. But the Latitudes seem to
hold together pretty well... Ben

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:46:04 -0500, "Tom Scales" wrote:

"J. Brad" wrote in message
Notan wrote:
"J. Brad" wrote:

Christopher Muto wrote:

does anyone actually think resellerratings information is meaningful?
it is
a place where unhappy people go to die.
as bad as you think resellerrattings numbers for dell are, have a look
at
toshiba, gateway, hewlett packard, compaq, and emachines... dell still
tops
them all. given that all the majors numbers are so bad, if i were dell
would take their numbers as a compliment since they are king of the
pack.

om...

Old December 22nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

if you are just talking about build quality i agree. but with thinkpads
twice the price of a similar dell/toshiba/hp/compaq i would go with the
cheaper one and replace it sooner and enjoy the shorter life cycle and newer
technology. perhaps in a business setting with a client that wants minimal
equipment replacement/upgrades for various reasons i would feel differently,
otherwise it just doesn't add up for me.

ps. nobody commented on the fact that as low as the resellerratting numbers
are for dell the numbers for every other major brand are even lower. so
whoever started this 'sinking sinking' thread with the intention of
slighting dell was actually complimenting them. i love the irony. is this
making any sense to anyone else? it is a compliment!

wrote:

"J. Brad" wrote in message
Notan wrote:

news:67hlo2d6fbara8uscn9cetqvhdd5k9i0eb@4ax. com...

Old December 22nd 06, 06:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I would agree on everything except the X Series. If you want an Ultralight
(and I like them), the X is the only way to go

wrote:

"J. Brad" wrote in message

Old December 22nd 06, 01:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Comments:

I was not ripping the Latitudes to shreds for lack of quality. It's just that
there is a discernable difference in sturdiness in favor of IBM-designed
ThinkPads. My own notebook for light duty use is a Latitude I rebuilt, but I
am not really a road warrior. If I spent a lot of time on the road, I would
own a ThinkPad, because I would want to minimize the odds of any downtime at
all.

It is noteworthy that IBM first withdrew from the consumer market, then sold the
whole personal computer operation off to Lenovo. IBM executives made two
conscious decisions, both in support of the concept that they would not
compromise IBM's well-deserved reputation for quality. Lenovo is now
struggling along trying to create its own identity in the US marketplace, also
selling ThinkPads at very hefty discounts through retailers who generally cater
to corporate buyers.

Way back when, I had a number of business dealings with IBM, and IBM definitely
is one of the companies with a passion for high quality flowing in its blue
veins. I recall one meeting with the hardware designers of the lamentable
PS/2. They were extremely proud of the high quality and workmanship of the
PS/2, as well as the software needed to configure each and every card installed
in a PS/2 box. The PS/2 engineers became almost enraged when I criticized the
design of one of the cards as having too many accountants on its hardware design
team. The PS/2's built-in hardware to identify each device was a few years
ahead of its time, and something eventually incorporated into PCI after
suggested the same to some Intel PCI guys, drawing on my own years of mainframe
hardware/software experience. Configuing a PS/2 was a serious pain in the ass,
just like an EISA desktop or server system, because the configuration utility
had to boot and run from floppy diskette, and very slowly. And you were
completely lost if you did not have the configuration diskette for whatever
model of PS/2 or EISA system you were working on.

I have very little faith in the numbers from a self-selecting survey like
resellerratting. The people who tend to respond are the ones with a gripe.
Dell and HP sell more computers, so it stands to reason that there will be
numerically more gripes, even if the percentage of gripes is lower. The
quality of telephone tech support available from every name brand computer
company absolutely sucks, and most of the complaints in resellerratting start
with a phone call to tech support on another continent or planet. The good
news here is that I get a lot of service business from people who cannot or will
not deal with vendor telephone support, so I won't complain too loudly. It
helps if you own a computer and someone local speaks your dialect of English,
providing clear explanations of problems and solutions. Needless to say, I
much prefer to work on Dell and IBM systems because I can get far better on line
tech info about them than I can for any other brand name, altho Gateway (but not
eMachines!) on-line info is fairly good.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:36:22 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

if you are just talking about build quality i agree. but with thinkpads
twice the price of a similar dell/toshiba/hp/compaq i would go with the
cheaper one and replace it sooner and enjoy the shorter life cycle and newer
technology. perhaps in a business setting with a client that wants minimal
equipment replacement/upgrades for various reasons i would feel differently,
otherwise it just doesn't add up for me.

ps. nobody commented on the fact that as low as the resellerratting numbers
are for dell the numbers for every other major brand are even lower. so
whoever started this 'sinking sinking' thread with the intention of
slighting dell was actually complimenting them. i love the irony. is this
making any sense to anyone else? it is a compliment!

.. .

wrote:

"J. Brad" wrote in message