Easy USB HDD set-up?

Old December 21st 06, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave Smith

Default Easy USB HDD set-up?

I have a need to access multiple hard drives that I store as bare
drives. I have been using a Dynex USB drive enclosure and swapping
the drives in and out as necessary, but it's a pretty clumsy system
and I've had to replace an enclosure because of my own clumsyness.

Is there an easier way to temporarily hook up drives VIA USB? Is
there an enclosure that's easy to swap drives in and out of?

Thanks very much for any help.
Old December 21st 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:29:10 -0800, Dave Smith
wrote:

I have a need to access multiple hard drives that I store as bare
drives. I have been using a Dynex USB drive enclosure and swapping
the drives in and out as necessary, but it's a pretty clumsy system
and I've had to replace an enclosure because of my own clumsyness.

Is there an easier way to temporarily hook up drives VIA USB? Is
there an enclosure that's easy to swap drives in and out of?

Thanks very much for any help.

yes, there are USB to IDE bridges built into cables so you
don't need the enclosure at all, just that cable and an
external support (often included with the cable). For
example,

http://www.microbarn.com/USBAdapters...source=froogle

Though there are MANY places that sell these, best price
could depend on adding it to your next order of other parts
to get a shipping/handling discount.
Old December 21st 06, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

Dave Smith wrote:

I have a need to access multiple hard drives that I store as bare
drives. I have been using a Dynex USB drive enclosure and swapping
the drives in and out as necessary, but it's a pretty clumsy system
and I've had to replace an enclosure because of my own clumsyness.

Is there an easier way to temporarily hook up drives VIA USB? Is
there an enclosure that's easy to swap drives in and out of?

Sure! I do the same. Forget using the enclosure! I coincidentally just tossed
an enclosure unit that I had been using only the electronics and IDE & power
connectors portion of because it had always been faulty. I picked up its
replacement at Fry's a couple of weeks ago for $20. It's simple and
straightforward with just the power molex connected to the independent power
supply and the IDE connector on a separate USB cable. No enclosure involved and
they just trap heat anyhow. My HD's rest on a piece of plastic with vent holes
in it to give some cooling to the bottom side of the HD. Works great!

HTH
Bob
Old December 21st 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

I have a need to access multiple hard drives that I store as bare
drives. I have been using a Dynex USB drive enclosure and swapping
the drives in and out as necessary, but it's a pretty clumsy system
and I've had to replace an enclosure because of my own clumsyness.

Is there an easier way to temporarily hook up drives VIA USB? Is
there an enclosure that's easy to swap drives in and out of?

Thanks very much for any help.

yes, there are USB to IDE bridges built into cables so you
don't need the enclosure at all, just that cable and an
external support (often included with the cable). For
example,

http://www.microbarn.com/USBAdapters...source=froogle

Though there are MANY places that sell these, best price
could depend on adding it to your next order of other parts
to get a shipping/handling discount.

Watch out for that one though as it doesn't have a separate power supply and an
unpowered drive will bring USB and the system to its knees. They do mention that
same unit there with a power supply and it looks like the unit I just bought.
Well constructed I would say.
http://www.microbarn.com/ADA-UIDEP--18-162-101531.html

Bob
Old December 21st 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave Smith

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:51:33 -0800, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

[...]

Thanks!

Can you tell me the brand?
Old December 21st 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's a Vantec. I was going to tell you initially, but things being what
they are, I could find everything but the packaging with spare parts. The
packaging, color & all, in Kony's link looks just like it although you can
surely find it locally also.
Old December 21st 06, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Dave Smith wrote

I have a need to access multiple hard drives that I store as bare
drives. I have been using a Dynex USB drive enclosure and swapping
the drives in and out as necessary, but it's a pretty clumsy system
and I've had to replace an enclosure because of my own clumsyness.

Is there an easier way to temporarily hook up drives VIA USB?

Yes, you can get a pure cable system which has a multi connector
thing that plugs into the drive and has a USB connector on the other
end. Thats mechanically easier with bare drives.

Is there an enclosure that's easy to swap drives in and out of?

Easiest with no enclosure at all, see above.

Thanks very much for any help.

Old December 21st 06, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Dave Smith wrote:
I have a need to access multiple hard drives that I store as bare
drives. I have been using a Dynex USB drive enclosure and swapping
the drives in and out as necessary, but it's a pretty clumsy system
and I've had to replace an enclosure because of my own clumsyness.

Is there an easier way to temporarily hook up drives VIA USB? Is
there an enclosure that's easy to swap drives in and out of?

Thanks very much for any help.

There are other solutions besides USB, that you may want to consider.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...ds&ATT=froogle

Old December 22nd 06, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave Smith

wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much!

Easy CD Creator 5.3 doesn't work any more (E80041916: TrackWriter error - Insufficient memory) ??? Rick Chauvin Cdr 6 January 14th 06 10:02 PM
easy cash Rangersword3 Nvidia Videocards 0 July 27th 05 02:42 AM
easy cash Rangersword3 Ati Videocards 0 July 27th 05 02:42 AM
easy cash Rangersword3 Homebuilt PC's 0 July 27th 05 02:41 AM
easy cash Rangersword3 Asus Motherboards 0 July 27th 05 02:39 AM