Windows freezes after changing PSU

Old December 10th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Guybrush Threepwood

Default Windows freezes after changing PSU

I've changed the PSU of a computer with Windows 98 installed onto. The
system boots ok, and Windows is starting without problems, but whenever I
try to access the C drive or the cdrom the computer just freezes. The only
think I can do then is pressing the reset button. Any ideas what might be
the problem?

--
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."

Old December 10th 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Richie Dawson

It could be a problem with your ram
Download memtest86 and check that your RAM are working. Also it could be
oevrheating you should get intel active monitor and take a look at your
temperatures
its free you can download it here
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

news

Old December 10th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

I've changed the PSU of a computer with Windows 98 installed onto.

Why ?

The system boots ok, and Windows is starting without problems, but
whenever I try to access the C drive or the cdrom the computer just
freezes. The only think I can do then is pressing the reset button.
Any ideas what might be the problem?

The PSU likely isnt suitable, not powerful enough.

Old December 10th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Guybrush Threepwood wrote:
I've changed the PSU of a computer with Windows 98 installed onto. The
system boots ok, and Windows is starting without problems, but whenever I
try to access the C drive or the cdrom the computer just freezes. The only
think I can do then is pressing the reset button. Any ideas what might be
the problem?

Due diligence. Check the RAM, check also hard drive and CDROM. Look for
bad capacitors on the motherboard. Consider replacing PSU if all else
checks out.

memtest86+

Old December 11th 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood wrote:
I've changed the PSU of a computer with Windows 98 installed onto. The
system boots ok, and Windows is starting without problems, but whenever
try to access the C drive or the cdrom the computer just freezes. The
only
think I can do then is pressing the reset button. Any ideas what might
be
the problem?

The problem seems to be the PCI soundcard. If I remove it, I don't have
the problem described above. The BIOS defaults have been loaded after the
new PSU was into place, could this have anything to do with it?

Is there possibly a PS connector on the soundcard that got left off?

I don't think the old PSU was directly connected to the soundcard. But I
might be mistaken. The soundcard is a Creative Labs CT 4810. There are 3
connectors situated on it: TAD, CD-IN and AUX-IN. I don't think one of
these is a PS connector?