Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Old October 2nd 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

Default Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 03:20:12 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Garrot wrote:

I've read two or three different comments on the Internet recently
about keeping plastic items (one was about grass trimmer line) in
a container with a small amount of water to keep it pliable. It's
an interesting concept to me, the idea of keeping plastic items
humid to help keep them from degrading.

Well, don't just do everything that you read about without
checking first.

Try doing extensive author histories if you want to learn that
principle. Some of the coincidences are pretty amazing to me.

That might work for "some" plastics, but I happen to know that
Nylon degrades significantly if allowed to absorb moisture.... so
any Nylon gears or other load carrying parts could be weakened
significantly.... I don't know what grass trimmer line is made of,
but if it's Nylon, you wouldn't want it to absorb any moisture.

I just did a small amount of research. Nothing I saw suggested that
there was any detrimental effect to keeping trimmer line in water.
Most say it helps, some say it doesn't help, none say it hurts.
Apparently at least two manufacturers include a sponge in their
package of trimmer line, Husqvarna and Oregon. I also read that
dealers sometimes recommend keeping the line in water.

Maybe you're concept of degradation is different than a lawn care
professional. Do you have any citations?

If you're fishing for information, you're welcome.

Charlie Hoffpauir

From: Charlie Hoffpauir
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Why are mainboard boxes already opened?
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:07:17 -0500

Old October 2nd 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote
Mark A wrote
John Doe wrote

Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part
of a computer that you would want to know is factory
fresh, how come mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?

If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

They basically dont bother on the whole.

They are not "opened". They were never shrink wrapped to begin with.

There's only so much meaning you can put into a subject line.

The subject line aint the problem.

Maybe you can be my subject line writer.

Or maybe not.

Wal-Mart has started a new program to get suppliers to reduce the
amount of packaging for products they sell. They have estimated
that it will save them tens of Billions of dollars per year, a
significant portion of which will be reduction in energy usage for
shipping and the energy needed to make the packaging. Maybe you
didn't know it, but plastic (including shrink-wrap) comes from oil.

But in fact, more and more things from Wal-Mart and all
other stores are coming in bubble packaging which is plastic.

In many European countries, when you buy a
loaf of bread, it comes with no packaging at all.

So you just catch the loaf with your filthy hands?

Yep.

How about all of the other people that have fingered your
bread, no telling where their fingers were before then.

The frogs have never been that mindlessly anal.

Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

Reasonable care has something to do with knowing about disease.

We have an immune system for a reason, stupid.

Dont bother visiting china, they use human **** as fertilizer with food crops.

If you deal with a reputable manufacturer and a
reputable retailer, you have nothing to worry about.

In my big city, we have very large stores that sell
things you've probably never even dreamed of.

Unlikely.

It's a trade-off I can live with. Besides, I'm not talking about most
things. Most things, electronics and tools for example, are coming
in bubble packaging (which happens to be plastic BTW). I have
noticed the local Wal-Mart does have some cheap tools on the
bottom shelf without packaging, but that's the really cheap stuff.

Wrong again with the bigger tools like hammers etc.

Maybe you are more comfortable with really cheap stuff.

Or maybe you couldnt bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

By the way, why are you trying to turn this into a fight?

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed paranoid fantasys/projections.

If you don't like folks from the United States,

He never said he didnt.

turn on headers and avoid reading them.

Or tell you to go shove your head up a dead bear's arse.

Old October 2nd 06, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote
Mark A wrote
John Doe wrote

There's only so much meaning you can put into a subject line.
Maybe you can be my subject line writer.

How much does it pay?

You don't qualify.

But you could have posted:
"Why are mainboard boxes not shrink-wrapped?"

But that's not what I meant.

But in fact, more and more things from Wal-Mart and all other
stores are coming in bubble packaging which is plastic.

Check this out:
http://money.cnn.com/services/ticker...609221350PR_NE
WS_USPR_____DAF017.htm

I guess Wal-Mart means everything to you.

Reasonable care has something to do with knowing about disease.

Do you think you will catch a disease from a MB box that is not
shrink-wrapped?

You were off on a tangent talking about unwrapped bread. I tend to
follow the subject. Maybe I'm too easy.

In my big city, we have very large stores that sell things you've
probably never even dreamed of. It's a trade-off I can live with.
Besides, I'm not talking about most things. Most things,
electronics and tools for example, are coming in bubble packaging
(which happens to be plastic BTW). I have noticed the local
Wal-Mart does have some cheap tools on the bottom shelf without
packaging, but that's the really cheap stuff. Maybe you are more
comfortable with really cheap stuff.

By the way, why are you trying to turn this into a fight? If you
don't like folks from the United States, turn on headers and
avoid reading them.

Very big city? I live in very big US city also,

So you are just a troll.

Or you got egg all over your pathetic little face, as always.

but newegg.com has just about everything I need, and the Asus MB
that I got from them was not shrink-wrapped and it worked perfectly.

That's hardly science.

Your silly **** in spades.

I'm just guessing, but do you quote only one level in your replies?

You get to like it or lump it, prat.

Old October 2nd 06, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rod Speed

Garrot wrote
Mark A wrote

In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it comes with
no packaging at all. Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born germs?

The europeans, obviously.

Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they should, IMO.

Pity about what happens to it before its wrapped and when its wrapped.

Old October 2nd 06, 08:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote
Garrot wrote
Mark A wrote

In many European countries, when you buy a loaf
of bread, it comes with no packaging at all. Your
phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born germs?
Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they should, IMO.

And bread tends to get stale quickly when exposed.

Wrong again. The crust goes soggy when its wrapped and
those europeans eat the bread the day its bought anyway.

They dont appear to be dying like flys, so
your mindless germ phobia is your problem.

They are no doubt happy you stay away from europe.

I've read two or three different comments on the Internet recently
about keeping plastic items (one was about grass trimmer line) in a
container with a small amount of water to keep it pliable. It's an
interesting concept to me, the idea of keeping plastic items humid
to help keep them from degrading.

No, that doesn't have anything to do with the subject either.
I think someone opened the box and swapped the part.

Or the motherboard manufacturer doesnt bother to seal the box
and you're being as mindlessly paranoid as you are about 'germs'

Old October 2nd 06, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Senex

John Doe rattled this off his keyboard on 10/1/2006 :
Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?

If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

Thank you.

They're just providing good service by eliminating the need to remove
those pesky shrink-wrap thingys and the seals that are so difficult to
get your fingernails under. :')

Old October 2nd 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

"Rod Speed" rod.speed.aaa gmail.com wrote:

They are no doubt happy you stay away from europe.

Look who's talking. People from your own country's USENET groups
would be very happy if you stayed away. A brief USENET history
clearly shows that you are a hyperactive chronic insulting troll.

From: "Rod Speed" rod.speed.aaa gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp .periphs.mainboard.asus
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:09:09 +1000

Old October 2nd 06, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

a troll on a rampage, maybe drunk

From: "Rod Speed" rod.speed.aaa gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp .periphs.mainboard.asus
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:03:59 +1000

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote
Mark A nobody nowhere.com wrote

Old October 2nd 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

Nym shifting troll

See also:
"JohnH" johnh jjss.com
"Oscar Jones" oj ojqw.com

Old October 2nd 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dylan C

Garrot wrote:
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:04:54 -0600, Mark A wrote:

In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it comes with no
packaging at all. Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born germs?
Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they should, IMO.

Since we're now WAY off topic, I'll contribute, too. I spent 11 months
in Iraq eating food covered with dirt and dust, not to mention my
greasy, oily, and otherwise filthy hands that I used to put the food in
my mouth. Sometimes with silverware, sometimes not. The only adverse
side effect was that my food sometimes had a little extra grit or crunch
to it. I'm sure that your hometown bakery is much more sanitary and you
have very little to worry about.

I agree with the poster that argued for cultural bias. My wife is in
excellent (although drastic) example. When we used to go to the grocery
store, she wouldn't even buy the first can of soup on the shelf. She
had to dig for one in the back that hadn't been touched by as many
people. No rational person behaves like this.

On a more relevent note, I used to work for a small PC shop and none of
our boards came from the distributor shrink-wrapped. Mostly Asus and
Abit if I recall. However, we did shrinkwrap them. This made the
customer feel better and made it easier for us to tell if a returned
item had been opened.

-Dylan C