UPS Recommendations?

Old September 27th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Default UPS Recommendations?

Per Mitch Crane:
I used a sealed lawn mower battery. It's been working great for over a
year.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/DSCF3082.jpg

12v or 24?
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 27th 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mitch Crane

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

Per Mitch Crane:
I used a sealed lawn mower battery. It's been working great for over a
year.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/DSCF3082.jpg

12v or 24?

12v. That particular unit came with 2 6v batteries wired in series.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng
Old September 27th 06, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DK

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:59:38 -0500, Mitch Crane -three
wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

Per Mitch Crane:
I used a sealed lawn mower battery. It's been working great for over a
year.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/DSCF3082.jpg

12v or 24?

12v. That particular unit came with 2 6v batteries wired in series.

Mine came with a 12 v battery too.

Old September 27th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

I have a number of APC UPS devices in my home and at work. I started
getting the nag message at home on my main PC. The battery lasted
about 6 months after the nagging. However, one day the PC would not
boot. I checked and the PSU was failed. I replaced it, and the
second PSU made a sound and failed. I replaced with a third and
bypassed the UPS and was back up.

I had a router, cable modem, and such also plugged into this UPS. They
started acting up. They would quit working, and the router kept
loosing it's configuration.

Ends up the problem was with the UPS and the old battery. I replaced
the battery and all is fine again. The computer and all are back on
this old UPS with a new APC battery.

I could have saved some bucks if I'd of just replaced the battery when
I was reminded to do so. While I used an APC branded battery (though
it is 3rd party) we replace with other brands at work.

I almost went with this Panasonic for $10 less;
http://www.wholesalebatteries.us/rep...C-R127R2P1.htm
But figured I'd go with APC incase something else was wrong with the
UPS.

Old September 27th 06, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

This really doesn't make a lot of sense. All of the low end APC units
are "standby" UPS .... they don't run on batteries except during a power
"event" ... rather, you are directly connected to the AC power line
through a surge supressor. Thus a bad battery (regardless of how one
defines "bad") can only cause problems when there is a power line
"event" requiring the UPS to switch from the AC power line to the inverter.

Old September 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Kyle

"Peter Finney" wrote in message
| On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:56:42 GMT, Leythos wrote:
|
| In article ,
| says...
| You may have been premature on buying the new battery. Typical
battery
| life is about 6 years.
|
| typical batter life, in a residential setting, is between 2 and 5
years
| - according to APC Support technicians. I've seen batteries, new,
last
| only 1 year in a setting with lots of power problems.
|
| I had to replace the battery on my APC Backup UPS Pro 650 after
about
| 2.5 years. I concluded that it was running too hot - after moving
the
| box to improve ventilation it is much cooler.

It all depends on many mysterious factors, including the UPS's circuit
design, but 2-3 years is a more safe estimate of longevity. I have a
minuteman UPS that does not tolerate much battery degradation, and
needs batteries every couple of years. In fact, recent new batteries
for this unit lasted only 5 months, turns out one of the two 6V
batteries exhibited a voltage dip when the load was initially applied
to it during a power outage, triggering the UPS's circuitry to
indicate battery failure even tho the battery voltage would nearly
immediately return back to near normal levels under load (did some
power resistor tests on the unit). The battery would charge up
properly, but apparently has a manufacturing defect of some sort as
voltage drops of 2-3 volts were observed across one of the batteries
on application of a significant load, then output voltage returned to
normal voltage nearly immediately.

OTOH, I have an APC unit that is a 500 or 600 VAR unit that is about
10 years old, and its batteries lasted 9 years before the unit "puked"
on a power failure. I learned from this that the brand of batteries
does make a difference and prefer Panasonic or Yuasa brand gel cell
sealed batteries over "brand x" type gel cells sold thru retail stores
such as Batteries Plus.

Another factor affecting life span of the batteries is whether the UPS
performs any self tests. I have an APC net-1000 (or some such model)
UPS that uses 2 huge 6v batteries and it is fairly "smart", and
performs battery load testing at some unknown interval and also during
power up events.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old September 27th 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Yes, I understand that the cheaper ones don't use the battery unless of
an outage, or dip. However, the power in my area is very unstable.
The first month I had the UPS, it switched on over 100 times per the
software counter. It's a little better now.

I had 2 PSU's blow and other hardware instability while the bad battery
was in place. Replace the battery, or bypass the UPS and things work
fine. The battery was kicking out about 80V when switched on per VO
meter. It did handle a 100W light okay. What else could it have been
if not the battery? I still have it so I could test it if I new how.

Old September 27th 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Kyle

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Yes, I understand that the cheaper ones don't use the battery unless
of
| an outage, or dip. However, the power in my area is very unstable.
| The first month I had the UPS, it switched on over 100 times per the
| software counter. It's a little better now.
|
| I had 2 PSU's blow and other hardware instability while the bad
battery
| was in place. Replace the battery, or bypass the UPS and things
work
| fine. The battery was kicking out about 80V when switched on per
VO
| meter. It did handle a 100W light okay. What else could it have
been
| if not the battery? I still have it so I could test it if I new
how.

It stands to reason that a low input voltage to a PC power supply
might force the switching regulator circuits to work much harder than
normal to maintain rated outputs, causing overheating in the caps and
thus failures, particularly cheap branded PS units with cheap
capacitors. I've also seen cheap caps in more expensive PS units, ya
never know what you're gonna get any more.

As to AC power stability from the power utility, I see brief or
momentary power outages all the time in my area, I live in a large
midwestern US city and see power drops mostly on clear sunny days
(iow, not weather related). Oddly, I usually hear what sounds like a
very loud gunshot in the distance when power dropouts occur (I live
about 1 mile from the power substation). Since I work out of my home,
I invested in UPS protection for all critical systems, and some not so
critical systems (hehe, my gaming rig).
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old September 27th 06, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

No.

Capacitors are used for filtering. They would not react as you hypothesize.

Kyle wrote:

oups.com...