Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Old October 5th 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clive Coleman.

Default Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

In message , John Doe
writes
Unfortunately we can't depend on Microsoft to improve personal
computer input, but I think telephone systems might help drive the
technology and eventually make it more accessible.

From: Garrot invalid invalid.invalid
Subject: Why are mainboard boxes already opened?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp .periphs.mainboard.asus
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:12:56 GMT

What is your personal insecurity that you need to display this garbage
every post you make?
--
Clive.
Old October 5th 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
JAD

"John Doe" wrote in message
Garrot invalid invalid.invalid wrote:

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:07:15 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I use it sometimes with high background noise.

It's a skill like touch typing, only much harder. Knowing lots
about personal computing helps.

I do know how you feel, I've been there.

What software do you use?

NaturallySpeaking. It's the only viable speech recognition software
currently available.

Used DRAGON since it was free at the Comp shows....no big deal....and O
really loved the hours of set up. If your handicapped physically then its a
God Sent (in your case I can't see how being mentally handicapped is
benifited by specognition) , other than that, a whole lotta hooey....

I have voice recognition software for games
called Game Commander and it is only 98% accurate, I need 100%
accurasy before I will buy more similar software.

That's up to you and your capabilities, 100% accuracy is not
necessary to benefit from speech recognition.

If I required 100% accuracy, I couldn't use Windows.

In fact, there are some subtleties with language which make 100%
accuracy almost impossible. I am beginning to see why after using
speech-recognition for one or two years.

Learning to cope with your computer's inadequacies/imperfections
helps cope with speech recognition. It's just another program, but
much more complex than usual. You have to be very patient and
flexible. On a dime, you have to switch from expecting the speech
recognition to do it for you to doing it for yourself, efficiently
changing from one mode to the other.

Using something that's not 100% accurate is a sign of computer user
maturity, IMO. Then again, if you don't have a good speaking voice,
it probably won't work no matter how computer proficient you are.

I use it for almost all of my dictation/typing, but it really really
shines for activating macros in Windows. It's amazing the difference
between using keyboard shortcuts and using a nearly unlimited number
of two (plus or minus one) syllable activators to launch scripts.

There is a significant amount of overhead. You do need a fast
computer. From the graph in my secondary monitor, its CPU usage
appears to to be about 10 to 15%. That's a lot while gaming. I use
keypad zero to turn off/on the speech recognition.

Again, it's not easy. There are daunting requirements.

... NaturallySpeaking, the professional version if you want to do
scripting

... a fast computer, very fast if you want to use speech recognition
while gaming, and as any gamer knows you don't want any unnecessary
programs running

... the ability to cope with imperfection and instantly switch from
voice input to manual input and back

... the ability to concentrate

... a good speaking voice, that's probably the biggest problem if
you don't already speak clearly, I practiced for a year or two
speaking into a digital recorder and playing it back (digital
recorders are very useful for taking notes anyway)

Of course, the ability to recognize what is being said is most
important. There is lots of hype in speech-recognition sales, every
new version of speech recognition is "25% more accurate" than the
last even though the last version was already "99% accurate". And if
you ever ask questions in the speech users group, you will run into
a guy who sells microphones and sound cards. He'll sell you as much
as he can, promising better speech recognition, and when it still
doesn't work it doesn't take much to figure out it's your voice
that's the problem. In other words, all you can do is hang your head
in shame because all of his other customers (however few in reality)
can use speech recognition just fine.

Hardware doesn't make all that much difference. I bought a cheap USB
microphone, removed the analog wire going from the microphone to the
analog to digital converter, soldered the microphone right there,
and made my own headset/headband for it.

Unfortunately we can't depend on Microsoft to improve personal
computer input, but I think telephone systems might help drive the
technology and eventually make it more accessible.

newssvr21.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm04.news.prodigy. com!newsdst01.news.prodigy
..net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodi gy.net!pd7cy3no!pd7cy4no!sh
aw.ca!pd7urf2no.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
From: Garrot invalid invalid.invalid

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp .peri
phs.mainboard.asus

R-6dnf7vz40p-L3YnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d comcast.com
wrr8f81hsya6$.15yawdf6rg9hg.dlg 40tude.net
g8g2i2do00ba26rl5316n9fhdbm1prdsef 4ax.com Xns9850C1A24DFEA0123456789
207.115.17.102 joUJrykGoDJFFwQb yewbank.demon.co.uk
Xns9852E4CCD9F2C0123456789 207.115.17.102 8Pt+ykFgiMJFFwg5
yewbank.demon.co.uk Xns98532DFB3E9FE0123456789 207.115.17.102
QMkFiaMERNJFFwV+ yewbank.demon.co.uk Xns98533E4592FF20123456789
207.115.17.102
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:12:56 GMT

MDT)

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:606647
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:754168

Old October 6th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

"JAD" kapasitor earthcharter.net wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in message
news:Xns98539DFE8286F0123456789 207.115.17.102...
Garrot invalid invalid.invalid wrote:

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:07:15 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I use it sometimes with high background noise.

It's a skill like touch typing, only much harder. Knowing lots
about personal computing helps.

I do know how you feel, I've been there.

What software do you use?

NaturallySpeaking. It's the only viable speech recognition
software currently available.

Used DRAGON since it was free at the Comp shows....no big
deal....and O really loved the hours of set up.

The only set up I do is reading the introductory paragraphs. My
voice does the rest. My understanding of computer programs suggests
that most of the work is going to be done by the programmers. If
they don't get it right, you aren't going to have much luck trying
to make it work better.

Working with a computer is kind of like working with a pet, but
annoying. Trying to understand the stupid computer is much easier
than trying to make it understand you.

If your handicapped physically then its a
God Sent (in your case I can't see how being mentally handicapped
is benifited by specognition)

lol

On the contrary, you have to be very patient/understanding to put up
with all the disrespect.

other than that, a whole lotta hooey....

That's the typical cop out from someone who doesn't speak well
enough to use speech recognition. I understand, I felt that way too.

From: "JAD" kapasitor earthcharter.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp .periphs.mainboard.asus
References: Xns984FB395870340123456789 207.115.17.102 R-6dnf7vz40p-L3YnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d comcast.com wrr8f81hsya6$.15yawdf6rg9hg.dlg 40tude.net g8g2i2do00ba26rl5316n9fhdbm1prdsef 4ax.com Xns9850C1A24DFEA0123456789 207.115.17.102 joUJrykGoDJFFwQb yewbank.demon.co.uk Xns9852E4CCD9F2C0123456789 207.115.17.102 8Pt+ykFgiMJFFwg5 yewbank.demon.co.uk Xns98532DFB3E9FE0123456789 207.115.17.102 QMkFiaMERNJFFwV+ yewbank.demon.co.uk Xns98533E4592FF20123456789 207.115.17.102 13oz61cygp52r$.j8g2e3pv9tp6$.dlg 40tude.net Xns98539DFE8286F0123456789 207.115.17.102
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:53:22 -0700

Old October 6th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

"Clive Coleman." wrote:

What is your personal insecurity that you need to display this
garbage every post you make?

What makes jerks like you who pick on meaningless little typos?
Old October 6th 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote
Clive Coleman wrote

****ing, the same thing that makes everyone.

Old October 6th 06, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Garrot

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 20:31:51 GMT, John Doe wrote:

NaturallySpeaking. It's the only viable speech recognition software
currently available.

That's up to you and your capabilities, 100% accuracy is not
necessary to benefit from speech recognition.

It is when I'm playing a game and I want to switch to my sniper rifle and
the speech recognition software gives me a knife instead. Yes, that has
happened. I'm British so I already speak as clear as is possible.
Old October 7th 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

My ASUS mainboard from ZipZoomFly looks factory fresh but came
without any seals whatsoever. I suppose another reason is
serious cost-cutting. Or maybe it's a cultural thing

"Angry American" wrote:

I purchase ASUS products from tier one providers. And I can say
without exception that all ASUS items come with no seals on the
boxes. No shrink wrap either. These are retail packages, not OEM.
I would venture to guess that if you do get ASUS product with a
seal, it's either put on by the warehouse or by the shop you
purchased it from.

Old October 15th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

I wrote:

There is a significant amount of overhead [with NaturallySpeaking
speech-recognition]. From the graph in my secondary monitor, its
CPU usage appears to to be about 10 to 15%.

Now using an Operon 152 on a new mainboard with the same RAM, while
the microphone is active CPU usage appears to average about 3%.

OINK OINK