BH6 and 256 MB Ram

Old July 12th 03, 01:05 PM
jan

Default BH6 and 256 MB Ram

Hi,

I bought a Kingston 256 Mb Ram (133) but my BH6 only counts up to 128. Any
Ideas?

Thanks
Jan

Old July 12th 03, 03:24 PM
tf

This issue has been thoroughly discussed on this NG over the past year.
Most "new" PC133 RAM is high density. Only 1/2 of the memory can be used
with mobos with a BX chipset. Office Depot, Office Max, and other big box
stores have warning signs at the RAM display case about this.

I "think" PC100 RAM is still OK. I bought some 2-3 months ago and it was
OK. You should confirm this before buying.

You have to get low density RAM if you want all of it to work. The "safest"
or "easiest" route is to have a very knowledgeable person pick out RAM for
you (e.g., Mom & Pop store) or to go to Crucial or Kingston's web site and
buy RAM that is specified for the BH6. Big box store sales people are
usually not knowledgeable about this issue.

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
ddress_disguised...
In article , (jan)
wrote:

I bought a Kingston 256 Mb Ram (133) but my BH6 only counts up to 128.
Any Ideas?

Try a different slot... at least one person I found in a quick Google
search said this worked for them.

But the search showed that some types of SDRAM work, some don't (it may
also depend upon the version of your BH6). Crucial's site shows 256Mb
dimms for sale for the BH6 so *they* must work.

Andrew McP

Old July 12th 03, 10:09 PM
Z28

"jan" wrote in message
Hi,

I bought a Kingston 256 Mb Ram (133) but my BH6 only counts up to 128. Any
Ideas?

Thanks
Jan

The latest bios flash is SS. The earlier QN bios flash fixes a problem with
memory capacity on linux. Who knows, it may help!

I don't know if it's only Abit or not, but I have 3 different Abit mobos
(not one the BH6 though) and they are all picky with the ram I use. Even
quality stuff like Corsair 133 cas2. My mobos=KT7a, BX133-raid, BM6. The two
later should be close to your mobo and I have never had a problem with not
recognizing the memory capacity. Just O/C'ing and different brand sticks
seem to give me problems. I'll bet changing the slot will make a dif like
someone said. My KT7a only works with two of the three slots.