Memory chip question

Old May 10th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RF[_4_]

Default Memory chip question

My thanks to you all for your comments

Thanks Philo for your comments on the memory chips.

Old May 10th 09, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

RF wrote:
[...]

OK

Post back with the results.

I am a firm believer in keeping the old equipment going as long as possible.

I still setup a lot of P-II and P-III machines for people
and they are still quite useful
Old May 12th 09, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RF[_4_]

"philo" wrote in message
RF wrote:
[...]

Thanks Philo. This old board is an Intel AL440LX and is surprisingly fast.
The fan is
barely audible and, on the whole I am very satisfied with this as a backup
box - I need to
work on the memory chips though - later.
I have now removed both of the drives that were in the newer box after the
fan problem
started. I could not get either drive to start - had those dxapi.sys
complaints - and now
both drives are in the old box. I reinstalled Win2K on the C drive and it
runs fine in the
old box.

The D drive has a Win2K installation and has lots of progs installed and I
sure don't want
to reinstall all again, so I'm moving carefully. After I installed the C
drive, the CDR was the D: drive and after I added the second drive, the
letters of the partitions went up from the original D, E, F, G to E, F and
G, H. I needed the first partition at D, so I used the Disk Manager to shift
the letters around - I put the CDR to the very end.

The C drive boots fine but the D drive has a problem. "Win2K could not start
because of a
computer disk hardware problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.
Check boot
path and the boot hardware." The D drive has the usual collection of files
boot.ini,
config.sys, ntldr etc, The Boot.ini reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
Professional"
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
Professional"
/fastdetect

I had this boot file on both C and D drives and, after removing it from the
D drive, I
could not select the second drive on the screen. I guess I am missing
something here.

Suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Old May 12th 09, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

RF wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
RF wrote:
[...]

Win2k will generally not boot if the drive is put into a different mobo
unless you do a repair installation

plus it needs to be on the same ide channel and position as it was
originally
Old May 13th 09, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MF[_2_]

"RF" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

It looks like your boot.ini may be wrong. If they are IDE disks, the
operative parameter in boot.ini is "rdisk". So your boot.ini is referencing
the same disk, same partition, in both entries, or being confused by the
entry after "disk".

If your second W2k install is on the slave drive, it should be referenced as
"rdisk(1)" and "disk" should be 0. For IDE systems, "disk" is always 0,
"multi" refers to the controller, or IDE channel, and rdisk refers to the
physical disk.

You can *ususally* swap disks between systems if the processor and
motherboard have the same architecture. If the mobo differs, e.g, one was
ACPI, the other APM, you can *sometimes* simply change the HAL in Device
Manager and everything will work. But if you are going from, say, an AMD
system to an Intel system, you'll probably have to do a repair install.

But first thing is to make sure the drive and partition entries in boot.ini
refer to the disk and partition that your second W2k is on. It sounds like
it's the first partition on the second drive. Check to see if the drive is
the slave on the IDE primary channel or the master (or only drive) on the
secondary channel, make sure it is jumpered correctly, then edit boot.ini
accordingly in Notepad. And see what happens .

If slave on primary channel, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(whichever it
is, starting at 1 not 0).
If master on IDE 2, multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(whichever)

Oh, and only one boot.ini will be used, the one on the active partition on
the first disk, which in your case looks like it is the C: drive. if
another copy is on another partition, it will be ignored. So check to make
sure the correct partition is marked active.

Good luck.

Old May 23rd 09, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RF[_6_]

Default Memory chip question + HARD DRIVES NOW

MF wrote:
"RF" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks MF.

I am now just coming back again to the issue of the two drives. Briefly,
this is the situation now.

Initially I had two hard drives, say C and D. The win2k installation on
the C drive became corrupted because of some defect in the drive, so I
deleted that installation and used the disk for minor storage after
repair. The D drive continued to work fine. Next I bought a new drive
and replaced the removed C with it. I tried to use the ERD floppy to get
D installation to fire up but alas, no success. The LKG, etc. went
nowhere too. It appears that an ERD not only has repair info about the
OS in question but the rest of the computer too.

Help appreciated.

Thanks again.

USB Memory Chip Q General Hardware 0 September 3rd 06 07:26 PM
Best memory for a7n8x-x nf2 400 ... with 3 kind of brand ocz, kingston, and corsair witch one is the best for the value entry memory chip DDC Asus Motherboards 3 August 29th 05 07:19 AM
Memory chip type question. Brian The Snail General 0 January 6th 05 10:14 PM
ibm memory chip -- What is it? [email protected] General 4 September 10th 03 09:08 PM