2/3 of New HD Missing?

Old May 22nd 09, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Ken[_7_]

Default 2/3 of New HD Missing?

On Fri, 22 May 2009 14:27:58 -0800, "RF" wrote:

Hi Experts :-)

I bought a new 400GB HD a few days ago. I added it to my older computer to
format it and it went fine. After that I set up about 1/3 of it in one
partition and left the remainder empty.

Next I moved it to my newer computer and started the win2k installation via
the CDR. Things went fine until I reached the point where I had a message
that I had to decide the size of the partition. It gave the complete number
of GBs of the drive in a yellow blob and indicated that I had to decide the
size of the volume. I moved to the number with my kbd but I could do nothing
with it. The number just could not be changed.

I then removed the HD and returned it to the old computer where I
reformatted and made the partitions NTFS. I returned it again to the newer
one and again I had the same problems as before. Finally I let it format and
install win2k. It turned out that it now thinks the drive is 128GB. The
remainder of it is missing from Computer Management.

Has anyone seen this before?

Yes
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305098
http://www.48bitlba.com/win2k.htm

Old May 23rd 09, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
RF[_6_]

Ken wrote:
[...]

Nice job, Ken. Many thanks.
Now I can see the rest of the drive.