P4P800-E Dlx IDE/SATA question?

Old May 18th 04, 06:09 PM
Neil Maxwell

Default P4P800-E Dlx IDE/SATA question?

Looking for a new P4 MB, and I see the P4P800-E Deluxe has 2 IDE, 2
IDE RAID, 2 SATA, and 2 SATA RAID ports. A few questions on these:

- How many of these can be used at once? 4 ports total? Can IDE and
SATA devices be mixed, that is, 1 IDE and 1 SATA (or more) at the same
time?

- Related question - how many IDE devices can I use on this MB total?

- Can the RAID ports be used as standard HD ports, without using RAID?
That is, can I hook up IDE drives to the RAID ports and just use them
as regular non-RAID hard drives? Can they be used with other IDE
devices, such as CD/DVD?

TIA!

Old May 18th 04, 07:45 PM
end user

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:09:44 -0700, Neil Maxwell
wrote:

Looking for a new P4 MB, and I see the P4P800-E Deluxe has 2 IDE, 2
IDE RAID, 2 SATA, and 2 SATA RAID ports. A few questions on these:

- How many of these can be used at once? 4 ports total? Can IDE and
SATA devices be mixed, that is, 1 IDE and 1 SATA (or more) at the same
time?

IDE & SATA can be mixed. Unsure about the E version but my p4p800dlx
has VIA raid. I can run 4 IDE off the regular controler, another 4 off
the via raid (not using raid) & 2 SATA. Combinations are possible such
as 4 regu;lar IDE + SATA raid + VIA raid.

The question is do you have enough PSU wattage. to run the works. I
had to build a special PSU running off a small 4 cylinder engine to
make mine work ;-)

- Related question - how many IDE devices can I use on this MB total?

10 including cdrom / dvdrom on regular IDE ports

- Can the RAID ports be used as standard HD ports, without using RAID?
That is, can I hook up IDE drives to the RAID ports and just use them
as regular non-RAID hard drives?

Yes
Can they be used with other IDE
devices, such as CD/DVD?

Not on th p4p800dlx, VIA controller does not recognise them.
TIA!

Old May 22nd 04, 01:03 AM
Legend

but you can use the sata ports as well as the IDE raid ports at the same
time giving you 2 more drives... thats 10 drives no raid

you tell the bios if you want raid or ide mode and then just keep
plugging in drives til you are sick of the noise that 10 drives makes

I have a total of 8 EIDE on my system, 4 on the standard ports and 4 on
the
raid ports in NON RAID mode (The raid connectors default to non raid) . So
basically

2 HDs on primary onboard
2 DVD type devices on secondary onboard
2 HD on primary raid
2 HD on secondary raid

There is no secondary Raid IDE port (thanks again ASUS)
on the P4P800-E .

Old May 22nd 04, 05:58 AM
tk

"Legend" wrote in message ...
but you can use the sata ports as well as the IDE raid ports at the same
time giving you 2 more drives... thats 10 drives no raid

Sorry, only 8 drives possible

2 Primary IDE
2 Secondary IDE
2 Sata
2 Primary Raid IDE

There is no secondary Raid IDE on the P4P800-E Deluxe

From Asus site:

The P4P800-E Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution. A Promise RAID controller offers RAID 0, 1 and 0+1 functions with Max. 2 UltraATA 133 ports and 2 SATA HD ports, enabling users to build a RAID array with any 2, 3 or 4 of the ports. With unique multi-RAID function, RAID 0 and RAID 1 array can co-exist.

Old June 12th 04, 07:22 PM
Konrad

"tk" wrote in message ...
"Legend" wrote in message
but you can use the sata ports as well as the IDE raid ports at the

same
time giving you 2 more drives... thats 10 drives no raid

This Board can handle 10 ide drives.
In fact it have 4 s-ata connectors (2 managed by promise and 2 managed
by Intel chipset ,total 4 drives)+ 3 ide connectors (1 managed by
promise and 2 managed by Intel chipset, total 6 drives) but cdrom,
dvd's etc only work in regular ide (4 drives).

Sorry, only 8 drives possible

2 Primary IDE
2 Secondary IDE
2 Sata
2 Primary Raid IDE

There is no secondary Raid IDE on the P4P800-E Deluxe

From Asus site:

Old June 12th 04, 07:51 PM
tk

"Konrad" wrote in message
om...
"tk" wrote in message ...
"Legend" wrote in message
but you can use the sata ports as well as the IDE raid ports at the

same
time giving you 2 more drives... thats 10 drives no raid

This Board can handle 10 ide drives.
In fact it have 4 s-ata connectors (2 managed by promise and 2 managed
by Intel chipset ,total 4 drives)+ 3 ide connectors (1 managed by
promise and 2 managed by Intel chipset, total 6 drives) but cdrom,
dvd's etc only work in regular ide (4 drives).

If you read down below that blurb is from the Asus product site so I guess
they
don't know what they're selling.

You notice the board comes with 2 SATA connectors and a Y power adapter with
2
plugs for Sata not 4. Agian from Asus:

Multi-RAID
The P4P800-E Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution.
A Promise RAID controller offers RAID 0, 1 and 0+1 functions with Max.
2 UltraATA 133 ports and 2 SATA HD ports,
2 ATA and 2 SATA ports not 4 SATA ports and 2 ATA ports
enabling users to build a RAID array with any 2, 3 or 4 of the ports.
With unique multi-RAID function, RAID 0 and RAID 1 array can co-exist.

Now are you saying that the SATA ports can be split? if not you are wrong.

Sorry, only 8 drives possible

2 Primary IDE
2 Secondary IDE
2 Sata
2 Primary Raid IDE

There is no secondary Raid IDE on the P4P800-E Deluxe

From Asus site:

Old June 14th 04, 08:46 PM
Walt

Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "2 SATA connectors", but
my board came with 4 SATA data cables, and there are 4 SATA data sockets
on the MB itself. Also, it came with two Y-power adapters, each supporting
two SATA drives giving a total of power for 4 SATA drives.