Long term 100% CPU

Old December 13th 04, 05:27 PM
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Default Long term 100% CPU

Is there a detriment to running your processor at 100% so long as the
cooling fans are running properly and there is adequate air flow? I
have an Inspirion 8500 and started playing with SETI@home s/w which
punches it up to 100% . The Threadmaster s/w that supposedly tones
down the load on the CPU isn't working yet (I don't think I have it
configured properly).

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly
Old December 14th 04, 12:31 AM
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Is there a detriment to running your processor at 100% so long as the
cooling fans are running properly and there is adequate air flow?

I've seen some cheap-o systems that couldn't handle this. I think this was
mainly because the power supply and power supply circuitry on the
motherboard weren't up to the task. Also, if you have a slightly weak
system, you may not know it until you try one of these programs.

But other than that, running your processor at 100% utilization all the time
won't hurt anything. A lot of people do just that with projects like
Seti@home and Distributed.net. In other words, if your machine has some
minor fault, doing such a project will usually find it, but it's not going
to break perfectly functional hardware.

Now...you mention having a laptop in the form of an Inspiron 8500. This
brings to mind some points of caution when you start a distributed computing
project for the first time. First, make sure the machine is in a place where
ventilation is not an issue. Secondly, make sure the computer is capable of
charging the battery *properly* while running a distributed computing
project of any sort. Sometimes the power supplies in laptops cannot handle
all the load of a pegged CPU, a lit display panel and charging the battery.
Since the battery "doesn't have to charge" for the machine to function, you
may find that it does not, even if the charging indicator is lit. Just be
watchful on this...you can ruin a battery this way. Seen it happen.

Finally, be careful with handling the computer after it has been running a
distributed computing project. Laptops run with a lot more of their "hot"
parts in closer proximity to the case than desktops do. This could mean that
portions of the casing will be VERY hot and could possibly cause burns if
you go to pick the machine up.

have an Inspirion 8500 and started playing with SETI@home s/w which
punches it up to 100% . The Threadmaster s/w that supposedly tones
down the load on the CPU isn't working yet (I don't think I have it
configured properly).

That's what the SETI@home client should do...it will keep CPU usage at or
near 100% all of the time. However, it runs at a low process priority so
that other programs get time on the CPU before it does.

William

Old December 14th 04, 01:35 AM
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:31:53 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

[...]

Good. I think I will remove the Threadmaster s/w and let it have at
it. I have the laptop on AC power and rarely use the battery unless
I'm on the road in the car. Even then I use an inverter. Runs much
slower on battery power.

The system has been perfect from day one. Not a single problem.
(Knock on wood, hand hitting head)

I do keep things clear of the vent openings and the air coming off the
CPU is not excessive although it is quite warm. I can hear the fan
cycle as needed.

Thanks.

Old December 14th 04, 01:51 AM
William P.N. Smith

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:
Is there a detriment to running your processor at 100% so long as the
cooling fans are running properly and there is adequate air flow?

In general, while elevated temperatures will (thermodynamically)
reduce the lifetime of the chips in your computer, you may not notice
it in the 3-5 year lifespan of a typical computer.

have an Inspirion 8500

Laptops, on the other hand, don't have the best cooling in the world,
and (given the investment) I'd never run a laptop at 100% CPU 24x7.
You're better off economically buying a $350 Dell desktop just for
Seti@Home and extending the life of your laptop, IMHO.

Old December 14th 04, 02:06 AM
Tom Almy

Frankly, I wouldn't run any notebook system at 100% CPU for long periods
because they have cooling issues and weren't designed for such use.
However the Dimension systems I have had in the past run at 100% CPU for
over a year, 24/7, with no problems.

Old December 14th 04, 03:01 AM
William R. Walsh

Hi!

In general, while elevated temperatures will (thermodynamically)
reduce the lifetime of the chips in your computer, you may not notice
it in the 3-5 year lifespan of a typical computer.

I'm still running some 386 and 486 class machines and they do distributed
computing projects (in their own admittedly little way). I don't imagine
they saw that kind of use when new, but some have been running for the past
four years almost nonstop and there are no significant problems. I also have
a lot of Pentium 1 through 3 machines that have been running much the same
way.

Laptops, on the other hand, don't have the best cooling in the world,
and (given the investment) I'd never run a laptop at 100% CPU 24x7.
You're better off economically buying a $350 Dell desktop just for
Seti@Home and extending the life of your laptop, IMHO.

I don't know how much of a problem that will be. The battery charging seems
to be the biggest deal...some machines just can't do it while the CPU is
pegged and the display is on. I've had a Compaq LTE 5000 (150MHz) notebook
running distributed.net since I got it in 2001, and during some of that time
it had very subpar cooling because the fan was almost worn out. To this day
it still runs like new. It looks like the backlighting will be what ends up
killing it--it's getting rather weak and shifting color when cold.

William

Old December 15th 04, 07:45 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Good. I think I will remove the Threadmaster s/w and let it have at
it. I have the laptop on AC power and rarely use the battery unless
I'm on the road in the car. Even then I use an inverter. Runs much
slower on battery power.

The system has been perfect from day one. Not a single problem.
(Knock on wood, hand hitting head)

I do keep things clear of the vent openings and the air coming off the
CPU is not excessive although it is quite warm. I can hear the fan
cycle as needed.

Thanks.

the screensaver is very pretty, but it adds quite a bit to the processing
time.

Get the commandline cleint for your OS, and then get a monitor like SetiSPY.

Better utililization of the processor, and faster WU processing times. Plus,
SetiSPY does groovy logs and starmaps and things. Also shows you your CPU
efficiency, and other nifty things.

Give it a look. I stopped doing seti (hard core) a couple years ago. I
stopped with about 11,000 work units completed. Mostly run on SMP machines,
and high end (at the time) athlons.

- NuTs