Is it worth paying a bit more for a 256 Meg video card than buy a 128Meg video card?

Old February 9th 04, 08:17 AM
Brian

Default Is it worth paying a bit more for a 256 Meg video card than buy a 128Meg video card?

What are the advantages of having a 256 Meg video card compared to
having a 128 Meg video card?
I don't think their are any programs that require a 256 Meg graphics
card.

Regards Brian

Old February 9th 04, 09:26 AM
Tod

Some cards that come with 256MBs of memory come with slower memory.
200mhz (200 DDR= 400) vs. 300mhz(300 DDR=600)
That is why some 256MB cards only cost a little more then the 128MB ones
Regular ATI 9600s (and PROs and XTs) have 128 bit wide memory pathways.
ATI 9600SE have only 64 bit wide memory pathways.

Now having even the slower 200mhz (400) memory is still better then the
graphics card
having to use main memory thru the AGP aperture.

Someone doing video editing might benefit from the extra memory on the card.
Also having the extra memory may just be a selling gimmick.

Old February 9th 04, 10:01 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:17:29 +1300, Brian wrote:

What are the advantages of having a 256 Meg video card compared to
having a 128 Meg video card?
I don't think their are any programs that require a 256 Meg graphics
card.

No gain or worse.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 12th 04, 10:15 PM
NightSky 421

"Brian" wrote in message
What are the advantages of having a 256 Meg video card compared to
having a 128 Meg video card?
I don't think their are any programs that require a 256 Meg graphics
card.

Regards Brian

The only software which I know specifically says it will take advantage of a
256MB video card is a game called Call of Duty. However, it is definitely
not a requirement for the game.

I think 256MB on any current generation video card is a waste of time and
money. The only way in which I see it remotely useful is if you are willing
to fork out for the highest-end graphics cards, such as the 5950 Ultra or
9800XT. For lesser cards, it's not worthwhile at all IMHO.

Anyway, if you are doing looking to buy a new video card but are still doing
OK with what you currently have, you might want to wait at least two to
three months for when next generation cards get released. Or, if you want
to be truly ambitious, wait for the fall when PCI Express comes out and buy
a new motherboard, processor, memory and video card combo.

Old February 13th 04, 10:12 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:15:18 -0700, "NightSky 421"
wrote:
The only software which I know specifically says it will take advantage of a
256MB video card is a game called Call of Duty. However, it is definitely
not a requirement for the game.

Nope... I have COD - Its a Quake3 Engine class game. Really not
detailed, but its a very GOOD game (Art / music / sfx / map design)...
It doesn't take a typical 64mb Ti4200 or 9500 video card.

With 256mb, the 9800Pro is no faster...
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-15.html

In UT2003, it gains a whole 3fps.

I think 256MB on any current generation video card is a waste of time and
money. The only way in which I see it remotely useful is if you are willing
to fork out for the highest-end graphics cards, such as the 5950 Ultra or
9800XT. For lesser cards, it's not worthwhile at all IMHO.

The 9800XT sells for $500 - next to it, the 9800Pro at $250~300...

They can keep the $250 differnce price tag... it ain't worth the
5-10fps over the PRO.