Increase print density/darkness (on a Brother HL-L2395DW)

Old October 29th 20, 03:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Forkosh

Default Increase print density/darkness (on a Brother HL-L2395DW)

Trying to increase the print density/darkness on my
Brother HL-L2395DW. Only half-successful way seems
to be increasing resolution to its 1200dpi max
(600dpi is way too light, and 300dpi is barely visible).

Logged into the printer's webpage interface, which has
separate pages for print, copy, scan. The copy pages
actually have a darkness setting from -2 to +2, which
I set to +2 but that predictably had no effect on printing.
And the print pages have no density/darkness settings
whatsoever, just resolution (and paper size, tray, duplex,
all the usual stuff, but no darkness/density).

And, of course, I've done all the usual shaking, cleaning,
etc, of the toner, drum. But I don't think they're the
problem (I actually have two of these printers, and they
both behave identically).

So, any general way to increase print darkness/density???
....I was even thinking of running the pdf's I'm printing
through convert (I'm running Slackware64 linux) or some
other program that would modify them in some way such
that the printer would just print them darker. But convert's
man page doesn't seem to have any -switches that would do
any such thing, as far as I could tell. And google didn't
cough up anything else along these lines.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: where j=john and f=forkosh )
Old October 30th 20, 06:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Forkosh

Received the following email followup, reproduced below,
which apparently wasn't also posted here...

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 18:31:34 -0700
From: Bennett
To: John Forkosh

On 10/29/2020 7:44 AM, John Forkosh wrote:
[...]

Are you using Brother toner or after market toner?
I've had density problems w. after market toner.

Yeah, all genuine Brother, which I should have mentioned
in original post. One of the two printers is still using
its original 400 sheet capacity toner cartridge that comes
with the printer. The other is using a genuine Brother TN-760.

So is there any general way to increase print darkness/density?
Or any specific way for the HL-L2395DW?