1680x1050 VGA but not DVI?

Old July 24th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

Default 1680x1050 VGA but not DVI?

I can get 1680x1050 VGA, but only 1280x1024 DVI. Any ideas?

I have an nVidia Quadro 4 NVS with 64 MB driver 6.5.7.3 bios
4.17.00.44.22.

That's the latest driver I found.

Also, Samsung's MagicTune Premium says that my computer isn't
compatible...

Thanks (Yes, I'm going to try and call Samsung - I was getting fast
busies last time I tried.)

Old July 26th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
I can get 1680x1050 VGA, but only 1280x1024 DVI. Any ideas?

I have an nVidia Quadro 4 NVS with 64 MB driver 6.5.7.3 bios
4.17.00.44.22.

That's the latest driver I found.

Also, Samsung's MagicTune Premium says that my computer isn't
compatible...

Thanks (Yes, I'm going to try and call Samsung - I was getting fast
busies last time I tried.)

There are a couple possibilities for why that happens. The resolution
limits offered, can depend on the EDID or the monitor driver. AFAIK, the
following tool dumps the EDID as it comes across the serial link from
the monitor. (There is serial clock and data on the monitor cable.)

Moninfo.exe (download link in upper left corner of web page)
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

A second reason, has to do with the hardware capabilities of
the DVI link on some cards. If the DVI link comes straight from
the GPU (most of the time), the upper resolution limit depends
on the signal quality from the GPU. There are also separate
Silicon Image driver chips, that work all the way to 165MHz like
they are supposed to. Now, in fact, the signal from the GPU may
indeed be able to work at 165MHz, but the driver may have a
coded limit (i.e. Nvidia limits the resolution to conservative
values). Sometimes this bit of cleverness is a function of
driver release, so trying another driver might change it.

While this link is probably not relevant to your problem, it
will give you some idea of the issues involved.

http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

What is the exact model number of your video card again ? There
might be a number after the "NVS" part.

Paul
Old July 26th 07, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

Thanks, I'll take a look.

The NVidia software says just about everything but the model number.
Is there a way of telling?
I haven't tried opening the PC to look there, at this point- I don't
know if it's on the board itself.

I'm now using Forceware 84.26, with the same issues. It also doesn't
allow Samsung MagicTune to work.

Old July 26th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Paul wrote:
wrote:
I can get 1680x1050 VGA, but only 1280x1024 DVI. Any ideas?

Is there an entry in Device Manager ?

If not there, you can try Everest. You can look in Devices:PCI Devices
and find the display adapter there. If the text string is not informative,
use the "Device ID" such as 10DE-xxxx, listed in Everest for the adapter.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181 (Everest Download)

This file has PCI device identities. The first four hex digits are
the Vendor. 10DE is Nvidia, and there is an extensive list
of Devices. You can search this text file, for instances of
"NVS", to speed up the locating of the Device code "xxxx" part
that you find with Everest. This is not an official registry and
volunteers maintain this list.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/v2.2/pci.ids

The card itself could be lacking in a physical label, if the card
is an OEM. Some cards may have an FCC_ID, but the last time I tried
to use the FCC search engine, it wasn't working worth a damn.

MagicTune uses DDC apparently, to communicate with the monitor. That
would be the same interface that communicates the EDID. So if Moninfo
can see the monitor, so should MagicTune. (I notice there are many
versions of MagicTune, so perhaps a later version would help.)

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Moni...ictune_01s.htm

I don't know the driver details of EDID, as to whether there is a separate
component to the driver, that makes the EDID interface available.

Pin 6 and 7 on the DVI connector, are for the DDC serial interface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

On a VGA connector, it is pin 12 and 15 used for DDC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

Both connectors have DDC, and that is how the OS can query the
monitor and see what the max resolution is, listed in the EDID info.

Paul
Old July 26th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

Well, it's either a 200 NVS or 400 NVS.

case 0x017a10de: /* Nvidia Quadro4 200 NVS/400 NVS */

(The file you pointed me to, only said Quadro 4 - I googled and found
some code with
the above comment ... I think 200 sounds familiar from when I bought
it with my IBM ThinkCentre...
maybe they have record.)

I hear that the Forceware driver doesn't support MagicTune -- but
I was using the latest, non-Forceware drivers from IBM's website.
and the latest Windows update version before - and MagicTune didn't
work.

I'll take a look at your earlier links to see what it reports in
Digital mode, when I get a chance to fiddle.

Thanks

Old July 27th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
Well, it's either a 200 NVS or 400 NVS.

case 0x017a10de: /* Nvidia Quadro4 200 NVS/400 NVS */

(The file you pointed me to, only said Quadro 4 - I googled and found
some code with
the above comment ... I think 200 sounds familiar from when I bought
it with my IBM ThinkCentre...
maybe they have record.)

I hear that the Forceware driver doesn't support MagicTune -- but
I was using the latest, non-Forceware drivers from IBM's website.
and the latest Windows update version before - and MagicTune didn't
work.

I'll take a look at your earlier links to see what it reports in
Digital mode, when I get a chance to fiddle.

Thanks

I think the 400 has two GPU chips, and can drive up to four monitors.
The 200 has one GPU chip (one heatsink), and drives two monitors.
The 200 could be on a low profile card (not as tall as regular PCI).

As I understand it, the serial bus is mastered by the video card. I
don't think it is the same bus as the rest of the computer. So the
video driver would have control over what other software can do to the
bus. For example, if an application attempted to "write" to the bus,
they could filter out the writes and send them to the bit bucket.
Preventing writes or filtering addresses, might be an attempt to
prevent errant applications from overwriting the EDID EEPROM.
That is just a guess on my part, as to why it might not work.

Apparently, some Samsung monitors don't have any buttons at
all, and rely entirely on Magictune. How scary is that...

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php...1&limitstart=1

Maybe if you looked through the driver archive, and found a
really old Quadro driver, that would work. Some releases,
when you go to the web page for them, have release notes in
PDF form. The supported video cards are listed. The 66.93
mentions support for NVS200. So you could go back at least
that far and try that driver. 61.76 mentions NVS200 as well
in the release notes.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

PDF page 23, shows an example of a support table (61.76 driver).
http://http.download.nvidia.com/Wind...000-9x-NT4.pdf

The info is also accessible through FTP.
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76

Paul
Old July 27th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

84.26 is listed for the Quadro as well (which is what I'm using).
Are you saying I should use an older version, for a reason?

Someone on the nVidia forum mentioned that these Forceware drivers
don't work with MagicTune... you think an older version would... or
would give me the higher resolution? I would doubt that...

Thanks

Old July 27th 07, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
84.26 is listed for the Quadro as well (which is what I'm using).
Are you saying I should use an older version, for a reason?

Someone on the nVidia forum mentioned that these Forceware drivers
don't work with MagicTune... you think an older version would... or
would give me the higher resolution? I would doubt that...

Thanks

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76

Paul

I personally refer to the practice, as "driver roulette" :-)
Sometimes you get lucky, and a bad behavior you were seeing, stops.

For example, when I got an ATI video card a few years ago, I made
the mistake of using the driver off the CD in the box. Crashed
the machine, and required some work to get around and fix. It took three
different drivers off their website, before I was happy enough with
it, to leave the drivers alone.

On the other side of the coin, you could also look into the Magictune
user support on the Samsung web site, and see if they acknowledge
that their software doesn't work under all circumstances. I really
feel sorry for anyone that has no physical OSD buttons on the side
of the monitor - relying on a software package to do this, is
really taking chances. If they wanted people to have a better
user experience, they should have used a USB interface for their
idea. (I.e. Run a USB cable from the monitor to the computer, as
USB would not stop their software from working.)

Paul
Old July 27th 07, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

This monitor (216BW) does have an OSD, but the color adjustments get
skipped over.
I can adjust the color via the NVIDIA driver. Are those video card
settings, or does that actually
adjust the monitor?

Again, there are two issues, the MagicTune and max DVI resolution...
I'll see what else I can find.
I replied to the Forceware not compatible with SmartTune in the nVidia
forum.. no reply yet.

Samsung does have the Quadro 4 NVS 200 listed on their MagicTune site
-- and I had a non-Forceware driver at first.
Samsung Tech Support said I should check if there is a videocard
update (not firmware update)... I'm guessing firmware. nVidia's
website doesn't have any..(I gather that's more manufacturer specific)
I guess I'll have to pop open the box and scan for the manufacturer -
but I guess that if they are hiding so well, they're not going to have
much in terms of support!

Thanks

Old July 27th 07, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
[...]

The color adjustment in the video driver, would be done to the graphics
card and not the monitor.

People do flash and change video card BIOSes, but trashing the card
is probably not what you are interested in. You'd have to find a forum
that specializes in such things, to determine whether the NVS 200 is
a good candidate.

By the way, what did the Entechtaiwan Moninfo tool report ? Did it
get any info ? That would be proof that the interface works to some
extent.

Paul