Cheap 22 Inch LCDs

Old September 24th 06, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Default Cheap 22 Inch LCDs

Why are these 22 inchers so cheap(?):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=20

.. . . back when it was a crt world only, monitors that size would be 1 or 2
thousand dollars.

-g

Old September 24th 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Johanna

Hi Geoff,
Acer is a good make -this could be a real find. I've got a 20" and a 22"
and am happy.
I think these do not take DVI cables though. That could be a reason for
the price.
Also, Their policy says: # ** This item is warranted through the product
manufacturer only. what's this?
** Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more dead pixels
only.

8 dead pixels would be pretty bad. Perhaps they have a dodgy batch that
they want to get rid of.
Jo

Old September 24th 06, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

In article .net,
"Geoff" wrote:

Why are these 22 inchers so cheap(?):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=20

. . . back when it was a crt world only, monitors that size would be 1 or 2
thousand dollars.

-g

Pixels cost money and glass costs money. As long as the
fab making panels, has a machine wide enough to make a 22"
panel without a significant penalty to the number of panels
they can lay up, there is no reason for it to be more expensive.
If they were using an older generation of panel fab, then a
22" would cost a fortune due to the wasted (cut off) glass.

So I'd say they got a wider machine :-)

And remember that a CRT with a 22" tube weighs a ton. The
glass used in an LCD is virtually weightless by comparison.
One CRT of that size uses a lot more resources than a
similar LCD.

Paul
Old September 25th 06, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
%

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 07:26:43 GMT, "Geoff" wrote:

Why are these 22 inchers so cheap(?):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=20

. . . back when it was a crt world only, monitors that size would be 1 or 2
thousand dollars.

-g

Maybe because the 23" and 24" LCDs are the expensive one's these
days. The 22"s are the economy line. I think you'll notice for
instance they're six bit not 8 bit color. They dither the extra
colors. Not for photographers. Good for games and web browsing.
I think the vertical viewing angle leaves a lot to be desired, so
much so you won't see many 90 deg pivots on these models.

Old October 12th 06, 12:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

% wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 07:26:43 GMT, "Geoff" wrote:

Why are these 22 inchers so cheap(?):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=20

. . . back when it was a crt world only, monitors that size would be 1 or 2
thousand dollars.

-g

Maybe because the 23" and 24" LCDs are the expensive one's these
days. The 22"s are the economy line. I think you'll notice for
instance they're six bit not 8 bit color. They dither the extra
colors. Not for photographers. Good for games and web browsing.
I think the vertical viewing angle leaves a lot to be desired, so
much so you won't see many 90 deg pivots on these models.

Interesting info I guess that using a LCD for computer (primary use) and
TV uses may not be as good as once espoused. Your point on colors also
explains to me why color photos on CRT look better then on LCD.