1680x1050 VGA but not DVI?

Old July 28th 07, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

Default 1680x1050 VGA but not DVI?

Well, in VGA mode, all is fine in Moninfo.

In digital mode, the 'Samsung 216BW in digital mode' just shows the
card.

The 'Samsung Monitor on Auxilary Port' - shows all of the info -- and
it includes
1680x1050 - the resolution which I can't get to.

In the Windows Display settings it shows this third display as
"Default monitor on Nvidia Quadro NVS' and it doesn't allow me to set
anything... and it is not the current monitor according to the Display
Settings, the 216BW is.

I did uninstall the drivers before installing the latest one...

Monitor
Windows description......... Samsung Monitor
Manufacturer description.... SyncMaster
Manufacturer................ Samsung
----------------------------
Plug and Play ID............ SAM030D
Serial number............... anonymized by me
EDID data source............ I2C bus (real-time)
----------------------------
Manufacture date............ anonymized by me
EDID revision............... 1.3
Display type and signal..... Digital
Sync input support.......... n/a
Screen size................. 470 x 300 mm (~23")
Power management............ Active off/sleep

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 2.20
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0.644 - Ry 0.333
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0.286 - Gy 0.603
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0.152 - By 0.079
White point (default)....... Wx 0.313 - Wy 0.329

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 30-81kHz
Vertical scan range......... 56-75Hz
Video bandwidth............. 140MHz
Extension blocks............ n/a
Timing recommendation #1.... 1680x1050 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1680x1050" 119.000 1680 1728 1760 1840
1050 1053 1059 1080 +hsync -vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
640 x 480 at 67Hz - Mac II
640 x 480 at 72Hz - VESA
640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
720 x 400 at 70Hz - IBM VGA
800 x 600 at 56Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 60Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 72Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
832 x 624 at 75Hz - Mac II
1024 x 768 at 60Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 70Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 75Hz - VESA
1152 x 864 at 75Hz - VESA
1152 x 870 at 75Hz - Mac II
1280 x 960 at 60Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 75Hz - VESA
1680 x 1050 at 60Hz - Samsung
1680 x 1680 at 60Hz - VESA

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00
rest anonymized by me (I'm not sure what the data contains...
when decoded alot of hex data.)

Display adapter
Adapter description......... Auxiliary port
Adapter device ID........... 0x017A10DE
Display settings............ n/a

User/computer information
anonymized by me

On Jul 27, 8:26 am, Paul wrote:
wrote:
This monitor (216BW) does have an OSD, but the color adjustments get
skipped over.
I can adjust the color via the NVIDIA driver. Are those video card
settings, or does that actually
adjust the monitor?

Again, there are two issues, the MagicTune and max DVI resolution...
I'll see what else I can find.
I replied to the Forceware not compatible with SmartTune in the nVidia
forum.. no reply yet.

Samsung does have the Quadro 4 NVS 200 listed on their MagicTune site
-- and I had a non-Forceware driver at first.
Samsung Tech Support said I should check if there is a videocard
update (not firmware update)... I'm guessing firmware. nVidia's
website doesn't have any..(I gather that's more manufacturer specific)
I guess I'll have to pop open the box and scan for the manufacturer -
but I guess that if they are hiding so well, they're not going to have
much in terms of support!

Thanks

The color adjustment in the video driver, would be done to the graphics
card and not the monitor.

People do flash and change video card BIOSes, but trashing the card
is probably not what you are interested in. You'd have to find a forum
that specializes in such things, to determine whether the NVS 200 is
a good candidate.

By the way, what did the Entechtaiwan Moninfo tool report ? Did it
get any info ? That would be proof that the interface works to some
extent.

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Old July 29th 07, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

So, I removed the extra monitors... So MonInfo now only sees the one
monitor and has all the proper information with 1680x1050 max res for
'Samsung 216BW in digital mode', yet, the video driver still tells me
the max is 1280x1024.

Old July 29th 07, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

I opened the machine and saw the IBM FRU and looked it up on IBM's
website.
It is indeed the Quadro4 200 NVS.

I searched IBM's website for Quadro4 and came up with a 91.36
driver, which is about 3 months newer than the latest driver on
nVidia's website (even if I search for beta).
It's over 2 years newer than the latest driver IBM had for my specific
PC model.

With this driver, MagicTuner works! I still haven't actually tuned
it.
By the way, the monitor OSD color and contrast settings were disabled,
since I had MagicColor on --
it had nothing to do with the monitor or anything else.

I still can not get about 1280x1024 DVI. (I explicitly ordered this
card with the PC a few years ago, to
be able to use with with a DVI monitor - which I finally just
bought).

If I manually add the 1680x1050 resolution to the nVidia driver,
it gives a mess of a screen. Looking at the spec sheet - it doesn't
list any DVI resolutions above it...
but it doesn't list 1680x1024 VGA either (although it lists higher
resolutions).

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-45039.html

Maybe the 140 mHz clock has to do with it.. although I see others
online doing that
res with that max clock speed... Donno...

I need to see what I will really be gaining with DVI.
Just trying to see if I should go video card shopping..
I don't do gaming, so I don't need a $200 card (I see this card is now
about $20).

Thanks again!

Old July 29th 07, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

On Jul 28, 10:09 pm, " wrote:
So, I removed the extra monitors... So MonInfo now only sees the one
monitor and has all the proper information with 1680x1050 max res for
'Samsung 216BW in digital mode', yet, the video driver still tells me
the max is 1280x1024.

I found a similar set of data here for the NVS200. A DVI resolution
limit of 1280x1024 at 60Hz seems pretty low, even for DVI output limited
resolution.

http://www.elsa-jp.co.jp/product/02m..._NVS/spec.html

At least you've gained access to MagicTune, which is a partial victory.

Paul
Old July 29th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

I finally found it spelled out he

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/suppor...ion_Tables.pdf

Note: The following products only support up to 1280 x 1024 digital
resolution maximum:
NVIDIA Quadro4 200 NVS
NVIDIA Quadro4 400 NVS
NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL

Old August 3rd 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
'sein

On Jul 29, 1:41 pm, " wrote:
I finally found it spelled out he

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/suppor...ion_Tables.pdf

Note: The following products only support up to 1280 x 1024 digital
resolution maximum:
NVIDIA Quadro4 200 NVS
NVIDIA Quadro4 400 NVS
NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL

I have the same kind of problem. Just got a Quadro4 550 XGL card from
eBay to run my two LG L204WT 1680x1050 displays. It seems so lame to
have such a low resolution limit on a Quadro card.

I totally believe that Leadtek information which says that its simply
not supported and not going to work. I'm so very frustrated after
wasting half a day trying.

There is a lot of contradictory information around, for example:

o http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/d...xgl/550xgl.asp
This page says "2048x1536 per display". I've found a few
other places around on the Internet that quote this too.

o http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/Q...ease_Notes.pdf
These are the release notes for the latest driver supporting
this chip and on page 62 it says in Table A.2 that
1680x1050 is a nonstandard mode which is supported.

What a great big fat waste of time. Anyone recommend a good cheap ATi
card with two DVI connectors? I like the breakout cable design of
this Quadro4 550 as my case has a lip which I'd have to saw off with a
hacksaw if two connectors were next to each other.

--
Hussein Jodiyawalla
mightymouse dot net

Old August 3rd 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
'sein

On Aug 3, 3:31 pm, 'sein wrote:

Anyone recommend a good cheap ATi
card with two DVI connectors? I like the breakout cable design of
this Quadro4 550 as my case has a lip which I'd have to saw off with a
hacksaw if two connectors were next to each other.

Oop, didn't realise this was an nVidia group. Didn't mean to be
controversial by mentioning ATi here

--
Hussein Jodiyawalla
mightymouse dot net