all stop

Old April 22nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Default all stop

I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely
stops working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing CPU
time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.
Old April 22nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
CJT

cew wrote:

I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely
stops working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing CPU
time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

maybe the code showing whether they're incrementing has died

Old April 22nd 07, 09:22 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

CJT wrote:
cew wrote:

I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely
stops working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing
CPU time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

maybe the code showing whether they're incrementing has died

and everything else -- all at the same time.
Old April 22nd 07, 09:31 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Intel Rocks

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:40:28 -0700, cew wrote:

Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

Read your other post on USB. It's not USB. My suggestion is to backup all
your data on an external drive, completely wipeout the internal hard drive
(destroying the partition), then install a fresh virgin copy of Windows XP.
Ditch W2K.
Old April 24th 07, 12:46 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

"cew" wrote in message
I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely
stops working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing CPU
time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

Get and boot to Ubuntu 7.04 i386 DT. Then run the memory
tester over night. That would rule out cpu, mb, ram and ps if
it doesn't lock up.

later.....

Old April 25th 07, 03:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

cew wrote:
I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely
stops working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing CPU
time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

Ultimate boot Windows Memory Test, extended test mode, runs successfully
all night. No errors. Basic CPU, normal PS, MB, and RAM all OK. Could
be that HD does not always spin up from boot, standby, or hibernate.
Old April 25th 07, 05:55 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

cew wrote:
I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely
stops working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing CPU
time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

Western Digital diagnostics show no problems.
Old April 25th 07, 06:32 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Beemer Biker[_2_]

"cew" wrote in message
I have task manager processes running. When my computer completely stops
working, system idle and all other process stop incrementing CPU time.
Any suggestions as to most likely problem? CPU? MB? PS?
intel d865perl, p42.8 1G matched ram. W2K.

Looking at all your posts seems you got a real hardware problem.

Try the following: Remove any cables connected to the motherboard or system
that are un-terminated or not necessary:

4 wire Audio CD to motherboard from player/recorder if you are using that.

Any USB or firewire cables (except that usb keyboard and mouse). Should not
have any un-terminated usb or firewire hanging off the system.

All audio cables going to/from speakers or line.

Pull cpu fan cable off motherboard and connect to an adapter so the power to
the cpu fan comes from the powersupply. Do the same for any other 3 pin
fans or just remove them.

The above prevents noise, glitches, etc from being injected into the
motherboard. It has been found that faulty fans can cause electrical spikes
and some motherboards are more susceptible than others.

You might want to try a non-USB keyboard and mouse.

You couid have a ground loop where not enough metal standoffs are being used
and return ground is going thru a screw near a sensitive component. Some
motherboard designs required an insulated washer for screws near the back of
the case but generally the newer designs should not have this problem. You
might want to just pull out the motherboard and see if the problem is
repeatable. If it is out of the case then you can gently flex the board to
check for cracks. One problem I have seen is a loose 4 pin power connector
on a hard drive. Really obvious as the system would hang and/or reset when
I jiggled the wireing about or pressed against the drive connector. You
could also put a GFI tester on the power outlet to verify the ground is
working. I actually had this happen as one room in a house we owned was not
properly grounded and we noticed the system would lock up when shuffiling
the feet across the room and touching the case.

HTH

Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

Fan stop spinning... Davy General 0 February 16th 07 12:07 PM
Fan stop spinning... Davy General 0 February 16th 07 12:07 PM
Can't stop the SLI notification!! Bartman Nvidia Videocards 4 July 27th 06 07:23 PM
Somebody stop me!! Dwood Nvidia Videocards 13 February 13th 04 09:36 AM
Must Stop before removing? Doug Mitchell Dell Computers 1 December 22nd 03 03:43 PM