ASrock 775dual-VSTA sometimes refuses to boot even to BIOS

Old March 23rd 07, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
jives11

Default ASrock 775dual-VSTA sometimes refuses to boot even to BIOS

Hi,

I have a Pentium 4 775dual-VSTA system I built at christmas. I'm
seeing a problem where sometime it refuses to boot. It does not run
the BIOS , nor do I see the nvidia details.
I've had this occur with either an FX5200 (AGP) or an FX 7600 (PCI-E)
as the motherboard has both slots.
Lights and fans come on, red disk IO light comes on, and the CD rom
light comes on, then it just hanges. Typically if I try later
( normally after an hour) it will boot.

Turning off the the unit at the wall does not appear to make a
difference.

I flashed the BIOS to the most recent a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions. When the PC boots (most of the time) it appears to
run fine, nothing in the system event log, no BSOD, everything is fine

Old March 24th 07, 12:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
peter

after flashing the BIOS did you reset to Deafult?? and boot
then restart and enter BIOS and adjust to what your actually running??
peter
ups.com...

Old March 24th 07, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
jives11

On 24 Mar, 00:37, "peter" wrote:
[...]

Thanks. yes I did set the bios to default, reboot then change any
entries. I have just repeated this for the 2.60 version of the BIOS
and have still seen the problem recur.

however an odd workaround that seems to work is

1) Boot PC and it hangs pre BIOS or Graphics card banner

2) Eject the CD tray

3) press the reset button

4) gren light and red light on, then when the CD light flashes, it
retracts the extended tray and the PC seems to boot fine.

twice now this sequence seems to have worked. I'm wondering if there
is some PSU issue. It's a 500W supply, but it came with the case, so
is not a name PSU.

perhaps forcing the CDROM to retract the tray, gives the MBO time to
get over whatever voltage drop it sees ? CD is a Linte-On DVD/CD combo
and I have flashed it with the latest firmware too.

Old March 24th 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
***** charles

snip

however an odd workaround that seems to work is

1) Boot PC and it hangs pre BIOS or Graphics card banner

2) Eject the CD tray

3) press the reset button

4) gren light and red light on, then when the CD light flashes, it
retracts the extended tray and the PC seems to boot fine.

twice now this sequence seems to have worked. I'm wondering if there
is some PSU issue. It's a 500W supply, but it came with the case, so
is not a name PSU.

perhaps forcing the CDROM to retract the tray, gives the MBO time to
get over whatever voltage drop it sees ? CD is a Linte-On DVD/CD combo
and I have flashed it with the latest firmware too

Try a known good quality ps. or connect a meter on the lines and see if any
funny business is happening. Power supplies don't last forever but the
better
ones last longer.

later.....

Old March 27th 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Anssi Saari

"jives11" writes:

Hi,

I have a Pentium 4 775dual-VSTA system I built at christmas. I'm
seeing a problem where sometime it refuses to boot. It does not run
the BIOS , nor do I see the nvidia details.

I've had a similar problem lately. System works otherwise, but often
it sticks in a boot loop before loading the OS, but eventually it gets
out of it. Things are rock solid otherwise, if I can get an operating
system loaded.

The problem with this sort of thing is that it can be almost anything.
In my case I eventually found this problem has to do with the BIOS. If
I change CPU speed to anything but the default, this problem occurs.
Thing is, the CPU is a Turion and the default speed is 800 MHz while
nominal speed is 2 GHz.
Old March 29th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roy Coorne

Anssi Saari wrote:
"jives11" writes:

Hi,

I have a Pentium 4 775dual-VSTA system I built at christmas. I'm
seeing a problem where sometime it refuses to boot. It does not run
the BIOS , nor do I see the nvidia details.

I've had a similar problem lately. System works otherwise, but often
it sticks in a boot loop before loading the OS, but eventually it gets
out of it. Things are rock solid otherwise, if I can get an operating
system loaded.

The problem with this sort of thing is that it can be almost anything.
In my case I eventually found this problem has to do with the BIOS. If
I change CPU speed to anything but the default, this problem occurs.
Thing is, the CPU is a Turion and the default speed is 800 MHz while
nominal speed is 2 GHz.

A Turion on a socket 775 board? Or what...