Any OSX86 users here?

Old March 1st 07, 05:35 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
The New Guy[_2_]

Default Any OSX86 users here?

It sure would be great to have an OSX86 newsgroup instead of just forums.

Old March 1st 07, 06:43 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* The New Guy:

It sure would be great to have an OSX86 newsgroup instead of just forums.

What do you mean with "OSX86"? If this should be MacOS X then there
already are several newsgroups (remember: running MacOS X for intel on
anything else than a Apple Mac is illegal!).

Benjamin
Old March 1st 07, 09:59 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
The New Guy[_2_]

It sure would be great to have an OSX86 newsgroup instead of just forums.

What do you mean with "OSX86"? If this should be MacOS X then there
already are several newsgroups (remember: running MacOS X for intel on
anything else than a Apple Mac is illegal!).

OSX86 refers to running OS X on PC hardware. Without Apple's
permissions.......shudder. Now I'm going to go outside and jaywalk.
That's life: living on the edge.

Old March 2nd 07, 12:54 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* The New Guy:

OSX86 refers to running OS X on PC hardware. Without Apple's
permissions.......shudder. Now I'm going to go outside and jaywalk.
That's life: living on the edge.

There probably are a dozen or so warez groups out there, I'm sure you'll
find something that covers what you want, especially since it belongs to
the same illegal category...

Benjamin
Old March 2nd 07, 03:25 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Intel Guy

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

OSX86 refers to running OS X on PC hardware.
Without Apple's permissions.......shudder.

There probably are a dozen or so warez groups out there...

Why doesn't apple release OSX for the PC?

They've ported it to x86. Seems like an opportunity here. Why aren't
they doing it?

Are they too afraid that they can't generate a build that's robust
enough to handle the wide variety of PC hardware that's out there?
Old March 2nd 07, 07:23 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
The New Guy

OSX86 refers to running OS X on PC hardware. Without Apple's
permissions.......shudder. Now I'm going to go outside and jaywalk.
That's life: living on the edge.

There probably are a dozen or so warez groups out there, I'm sure you'll
find something that covers what you want, especially since it belongs to
the same illegal category...

I'm not looking for the software. I was hoping there might be a
newsgroup discussing various aspects and problems with installing and
running it. Because there are lots. And web based forums are
ponderous and inefficient for scanning lots of messages.

How difficult is it to start a newsgroup I wonder? Most groups on my
ISP's news server are dead or filled with 99% spam.
Old March 2nd 07, 07:32 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
The New Guy

OSX86 refers to running OS X on PC hardware.
Without Apple's permissions.......shudder.

There probably are a dozen or so warez groups out there...

Why doesn't apple release OSX for the PC?

They may be planning this but it won't happen for a while yet. With
the release of the newest version of OS X (10.5 or Leopard) in a month
or 2, we'll see if Apple gets serious about making the OS unhackable.
If they do, that will really kill the OSX86 movement as its future
will be entrenched in the 10.4 series. Not that would be awful. But
updates, and security issues would be non-existent.

Parallels might make a Windows version that might be able to be hacked
to run OS X as well. Everything depends on OS X 10.5.

They've ported it to x86. Seems like an opportunity here. Why aren't
they doing it?

They make lots of money off hardware. It seems odd, but you'd think
they would value a business model that makes a 99% profit on its
product ($1 DVD package sells for over $100). But they'd rather sell
overpriced hardware that is almost always behind in technology and is
a nightmare to upgrade. Most Mac people barely know what ram is.
They are, as a group, unbelievably ignorant of their hardware
parameters. They would argue that they buy a Mac to do their work,
not immerse themselves in the workings of the hardware. And they have
a point. There allegiance to their "master" puts Microsoft to shame.

Are they too afraid that they can't generate a build that's robust
enough to handle the wide variety of PC hardware that's out there?

There are a million reasons. Mainly it would appear its a fear of
losing hardware sales. If they did release their hardware sales would
plummet but after a year or 2, the software would probably have 4
times the present market share. Many people would gravitate to a
bullet proof, virus/worm/trojan proof OS that is very stable. NSA
wrote an guide for OS X. That's gotta say something for the security
of it.
Old March 2nd 07, 07:55 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* Intel Guy:

Why doesn't apple release OSX for the PC?

Simply because Apple gets more renevue from hardware sales...

They've ported it to x86. Seems like an opportunity here. Why aren't
they doing it?

Are they too afraid that they can't generate a build that's robust
enough to handle the wide variety of PC hardware that's out there?

Why should they? Releasing MacOS X for standard PCs means loosing
hardware sales and much higher support costs. You should be aware that
one reason why MacOS X is usually more trouble free than Windows or
Linux comes from the fact that it only has to support a very limited
number of hardware.

Apple would be stupid to give up one of their cash cows...

Benjamin
Old March 2nd 07, 08:04 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* The New Guy:

I'm not looking for the software. I was hoping there might be a
newsgroup discussing various aspects and problems with installing and
running it.

How much ISPs do you think will host groups that discuss illegal
content? Or will take the risk to get into a lawsuit with Apple?

Because there are lots. And web based forums are
ponderous and inefficient for scanning lots of messages.

Yes, web forums are a pain in the ass. But you can set up a web forum by
yourself easily. Newsgroups on the other side require to be set up by an
news provider, and then you have to convince other news provider to host
that group.

How difficult is it to start a newsgroup I wonder? Most groups on my
ISP's news server are dead or filled with 99% spam.

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/big-eight.html

But as I said, any ISP who helps you to create an illegal newsgroup must
be stupid...

Benjamin
Old March 2nd 07, 01:52 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Intel Guy:

Why doesn't apple release OSX for the PC?

Simply because Apple gets more renevue from hardware sales...

They've ported it to x86. Seems like an opportunity here. Why aren't
they doing it?

Are they too afraid that they can't generate a build that's robust
enough to handle the wide variety of PC hardware that's out there?

Why should they? Releasing MacOS X for standard PCs means loosing
hardware sales and much higher support costs. You should be aware that
one reason why MacOS X is usually more trouble free than Windows or
Linux comes from the fact that it only has to support a very limited
number of hardware.

Apple would be stupid to give up one of their cash cows...

Benjamin

With virtualization in the x86 world, OSes including OSX can
be VM'd. I know that the 1U Apple Server can do this with
the Intel Xeon 5160 chips. It works especially well with
VMwares' ESX which works a lot like IBMs' old VM on
mainframes. Problem is ESX starts out at $1000 but it doesn't
need a host OS to install. I have heard it is about 700,000
lines of machine language. As long as the computer has VT
and 64bit extensions, ESX should work. One of the big
downsides is that the video is not virtualized so virtualization
only realy works for problems like file serving and application
servers. To many different kinds of video graphics subsystems
for the moment. The genie is out of the bottle.

later......

One for UK users... Sham B Ati Videocards 1 August 13th 04 11:07 PM
How Many New C84 Users? xNokia3390x Printers 3 June 14th 04 08:02 PM
AIW users Jim Strand Homebuilt PC's 0 January 6th 04 12:54 AM
FX 5200 users (and possibly other users check this out!) E-rich Nvidia Videocards 6 October 3rd 03 09:22 PM
Dutch and Belgian users of Marvel G450 eTV TT users Linea Recta Matrox Videocards 0 July 28th 03 10:55 PM