Printing to a net printer?

Old December 3rd 06, 03:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

Default Printing to a net printer?

"jasee" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:
Thanks for the post. The configuration is Windows 2000 Pro machine
connected to a Linksys WRT54G with ethernet cable and an Apple
Laserwriter 16/600 PS connected to the WRT54G with an ethernet
cable and adapter.

^^^^^^^

What is this (has it a name or number) like jetdirect****?

M0437 Apple Ethernet Twisted Pair Transceiver.

later.....

Old December 3rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jasee

***** charles wrote:
"jasee" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:
Thanks for the post. The configuration is Windows 2000 Pro machine
connected to a Linksys WRT54G with ethernet cable and an Apple
Laserwriter 16/600 PS connected to the WRT54G with an ethernet
cable and adapter.

^^^^^^^

What is this (has it a name or number) like jetdirect****?

M0437 Apple Ethernet Twisted Pair Transceiver.

Doh! :-( All the other stuff I suggested is useless :-(
These use appletalk to talk to the network (a proprietry protocol used by
apple)
You can try installing this protocol on the W2k machine, click the network
adapter add protocol appletalk. I've never done this however then maybe
you'll need to create an appletalk port when you make a new printer
connection? Sorry, I hadn't noticed your refernces to 'Apple'!

Old December 3rd 06, 04:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

"jasee" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:
"jasee" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:
Thanks for the post. The configuration is Windows 2000 Pro machine
connected to a Linksys WRT54G with ethernet cable and an Apple
Laserwriter 16/600 PS connected to the WRT54G with an ethernet
cable and adapter.
^^^^^^^

What is this (has it a name or number) like jetdirect****?

M0437 Apple Ethernet Twisted Pair Transceiver.

Doh! :-( All the other stuff I suggested is useless :-(
These use appletalk to talk to the network (a proprietry protocol used by
apple)
You can try installing this protocol on the W2k machine, click the network
adapter add protocol appletalk. I've never done this however then maybe
you'll need to create an appletalk port when you make a new printer
connection? Sorry, I hadn't noticed your refernces to 'Apple'!

That's what is making it so difficult, getting anything Apple to work
in a Windows world. Apple has always seen the Microsoft world
as "the enemy". Problem is MS has 95 percent of the market. If
it would realize that it is better to work with them than against them
Apple would get a lot farther. Just plug it in and it works, that
should be the goal. Linux is having that problem now but it is getting
better. I went into adding all the extras in the add/remove location
so I am sure that if it is there, I have it installed. I always thought
that
AppleTalk was a seperate protocol that wasn't needed if the printer
was a tcp/ip postscript printer. Guess I have more reading to do.
I have set up HP net printers that were a LOT easier. Set the IP and
install the client software and go.

I delivered my drawings so the next step is wait for feedback from the
contractor. Sad to say I make more money with realestate than computers.

later.....

Old December 3rd 06, 05:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

***** charles wrote:

I have a Laserwriter 16/600PS that is connected to my lan
with ethernet. I also have a Windows 2000 Pro machine
that I have to get to print to this thing. How do I determine
the IP address of the printer? and How do I set up 2K
to print to the thing?

Apple has some information on that printer:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_...ALW16600SU.PDF

Here is an article on configuration which may be helpful:

http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/laserwriter16-600/

And here is a link to the Win95 drivers for that printer, which seem to
include the Apple Laserwriter Utility For Windows:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...5/LW95_422.ZIP

Old December 3rd 06, 05:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

***** charles wrote:

That's what is making it so difficult, getting anything Apple to work
in a Windows world.

At the time that printer came out, there wasn't much of a Windows world.
In 1994, there was Windows 3.1, and most people were still running DOS.

Apple has always seen the Microsoft world as "the enemy".

I would say that as "Microsoft has always seen the world as their
enemy", but it works out the same way.

Problem is MS has 95 percent of the market. If it would realize that
it is better to work with them than against them Apple would get a lot
farther.

The manual for that printer actually has very detailed installation
instructions for the most popular systems and networks of the time, Mac,
DOS, Windows, Novell, and Unix.

Just plug it in and it works, that should be the goal.

There were initial steps in that direction at the time, but it was just
getting started.

Linux is having that problem now but it is getting better. I went
into adding all the extras in the add/remove location so I am sure
that if it is there, I have it installed. I always thought that
AppleTalk was a seperate protocol that wasn't needed if the printer
was a tcp/ip postscript printer. Guess I have more reading to do. I
have set up HP net printers that were a LOT easier. Set the IP and
install the client software and go.

I bet those HP printers were a lot newer, also. From what the manual
for the 16/600 says, it does not need AppleTalk or EtherTalk, but should
handle TCP/IP fine. It probably does not support port 9100 printing,
so you should set it to lpr/lpd. And the manual suggests that it prints
a startup page showing configuration; maybe that's been disabled,
though.

Old December 3rd 06, 09:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

"Warren Block" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:

That's what is making it so difficult, getting anything Apple to work
in a Windows world.

At the time that printer came out, there wasn't much of a Windows world.
In 1994, there was Windows 3.1, and most people were still running DOS.

Apple has always seen the Microsoft world as "the enemy".

I would say that as "Microsoft has always seen the world as their
enemy", but it works out the same way.

Problem is MS has 95 percent of the market. If it would realize that
it is better to work with them than against them Apple would get a lot
farther.

The manual for that printer actually has very detailed installation
instructions for the most popular systems and networks of the time, Mac,
DOS, Windows, Novell, and Unix.

True but not for Windows 2000 Pro. The Windows they talk about
is 95 the consumer side. NT/2000/XP grew up to be the business
side which took over.

[...]

Yes, the startup page is disabled. The IP for the printer is set to
something
but I can't figure out what it is. I wonder if I can get LaserWriter
Utility
for Windows (95) to work in Windows 2000, if I can even find it any more?
The HP printers I have set up were at least 5 years old and more like 10.
So they were not THAT much newer. The net box I am using has DHCP
built in (it assigns 192.168.1.100 to my Windows machine. But the printer
doesn't use it. The IP has to be hard coded to the printer. I guess I
could
try to boot to Knoppix and see if I can get anywhere with that. But that is
for another day when I am not under the gun.

later.....

charles * Keene, Texas " USA

Old December 4th 06, 03:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

***** charles wrote:
"Warren Block" wrote in message

The manual for that printer actually has very detailed installation
instructions for the most popular systems and networks of the time, Mac,
DOS, Windows, Novell, and Unix.

True but not for Windows 2000 Pro. The Windows they talk about
is 95 the consumer side. NT/2000/XP grew up to be the business
side which took over.

Well, yes, but you can't really expect them to have written instructions
for Windows 2000 five years before it existed. Windows NT came out in
1993, but it was pretty rare for a while.

was a tcp/ip postscript printer. Guess I have more reading to do. I
have set up HP net printers that were a LOT easier. Set the IP and
install the client software and go.

I bet those HP printers were a lot newer, also. From what the manual
for the 16/600 says, it does not need AppleTalk or EtherTalk, but should
handle TCP/IP fine. It probably does not support port 9100 printing,
so you should set it to lpr/lpd. And the manual suggests that it prints
a startup page showing configuration; maybe that's been disabled,
though.

Yes, the startup page is disabled. The IP for the printer is set to
something but I can't figure out what it is. I wonder if I can get
LaserWriter Utility for Windows (95) to work in Windows 2000, if I can
even find it any more?

One of the links in my other post goes to the Windows 95 driver, which
looked like it included the utility.

The HP printers I have set up were at least 5 years old and more like
10. So they were not THAT much newer. The net box I am using has DHCP
built in (it assigns 192.168.1.100 to my Windows machine. But the
printer doesn't use it. The IP has to be hard coded to the printer.

DHCP came out in late 1993, so that's not surprising. That printer is
old. The manual shows that one of the ways the IP address can be set is
by pinging the printer.

I guess I could try to boot to Knoppix and see if I can get anywhere
with that. But that is for another day when I am not under the gun.

I'd start with the Win95 driver package; don't install the driver (if
you can avoid it), just run the utility from the archive.

Old December 4th 06, 07:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

The NT driver does have the configuration program in it.
It does work with W2KPro. The rest should be easy.
Thanks to all.

later,
charles.....

wireless printing to network printer [email protected] Printers 0 August 16th 06 04:41 AM
The ideal inkjet printer anon Printers 6 April 29th 05 07:39 AM
Cost per printer for CD printing patent? Daniel Prince Printers 0 April 17th 05 07:43 AM
Don't Throw Away Your HP Deskjet 722C Printer Lee McKnight Printers 8 January 21st 05 06:10 AM
Solution: printing directly to a networked printer JP Printers 0 February 16th 04 12:44 AM