Itanium question.

Old November 22nd 06, 05:04 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

Default Itanium question.

Hi all,

This was the closest newsgroup I could find so here goes.

The current cpu's in an IBM Intelistation Z 6894-1RZ are
first gen 800 MYz ones. What is the fastest version of the
Itanium can one put in these machines?

thanks,
charles......

Old November 22nd 06, 06:46 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* ***** charles:

This was the closest newsgroup I could find so here goes.

The current cpu's in an IBM Intelistation Z 6894-1RZ

That's an intel OEM box. The same was sold as SGI 750 and HP i2000. All
had different case colours and labels but are technically identical.

I still have an HP i2000 here...

are
first gen 800 MYz ones. What is the fastest version of the
Itanium can one put in these machines?

The ones with 800MHz with 4MB Cache. That's the limit. Faster CPUs are
Itanium2 already, requiring different sockets, different chipsets and
such...

BTW: the 460GX chipset in these machines has some bugs which prevent
them from doing 3D acceleration with most gfx cards. Besides that,
current Linux versions don't support Itanium any more (just Itanium2) so
you're stuck with older Linux, Windowsxp Professional 64bit Edition
(EOL'd), Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition, or HP-UX 11i v1.5 or v1.6...

Benjamin
Old November 24th 06, 03:47 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* ***** charles:

[...]

The latest version of FreeBSD says it supports both Itanium and Itanium2.
Please list latest versions of Linux that do not boot/install on older
Itaniums spcifically. SuSE, RH etc....?

Because of what you said above, I passed on buying an IBM Itanium
system for about $200 so I hope you can backup your proposition.

thanks,
charles.....

Old November 24th 06, 09:25 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* ***** charles:

The latest version of FreeBSD says it supports both Itanium and Itanium2.

Right, but these are the only free operating systems.

Please list latest versions of Linux that do not boot/install on older
Itaniums spcifically. SuSE, RH etc....?

Latest SuSE for Itanium is SuSE 7.something (7.1?), latest Redhat is 7.3.

Because of what you said above, I passed on buying an IBM Itanium
system for about $200 so I hope you can backup your proposition.

200$ for a 7 year old Itanium machine isn't really a bargain...

Benjamin
Old November 24th 06, 10:03 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
CJT

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

* ***** charles:

The latest version of FreeBSD says it supports both Itanium and Itanium2.

Right, but these are the only free operating systems.

Please list latest versions of Linux that do not boot/install on older
Itaniums spcifically. SuSE, RH etc....?

Latest SuSE for Itanium is SuSE 7.something (7.1?), latest Redhat is 7.3.

Because of what you said above, I passed on buying an IBM Itanium
system for about $200 so I hope you can backup your proposition.

200$ for a 7 year old Itanium machine isn't really a bargain...

Benjamin

It might have made a decent space heater for the coming winter.

Old November 27th 06, 06:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Rick Jones

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
BTW: the 460GX chipset in these machines has some bugs which prevent
them from doing 3D acceleration with most gfx cards. Besides that,
current Linux versions don't support Itanium any more (just
Itanium2) so you're stuck with older Linux, Windowsxp Professional
64bit Edition (EOL'd), Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition, or HP-UX
11i v1.5 or v1.6...

I was never certain if all those merced-based systems were
sufficiently "identical" that HP-UX would boot/run on the non-HP
versions or not. Regardless, I think that while 11iv1.5 (aka 11.20)
and 11iv1.6 (aka 11.22) might run on the rx4610, i2000 and rx9610
those OSes themselves are no longer "supported" (IIRC).

rick jones
Old November 27th 06, 06:31 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Rick Jones

***** charles wrote:
The latest version of FreeBSD says it supports both Itanium and
Itanium2. Please list latest versions of Linux that do not
boot/install on older Itaniums spcifically. SuSE, RH etc....?

Because of what you said above, I passed on buying an IBM Itanium
system for about $200 so I hope you can backup your proposition.

For experimentation/play/fun/whatever with Itanium, and sticking with
the used market, I'd probably suggest one of:

HP zx2000
HP zx6000
HP rx1600
HP rx2600
Whatever SGI has/had as Itanium2-based systems

The "current" versions of the rx1600 and rx2600 are the rx1620 and
rx2620.

The the zx's were "workstations." The rx's are "servers." The rx2600
and rx2620 have what are called "OFS" or Office Friendly Server
configurations that include pedestal mounts and quieter fans.
Depending on the OS, either 2D or some 3D graphics are supported in
those.

rick jones
Old November 27th 06, 08:59 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Peter Bjørn Perlsø

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

* ***** charles:

The latest version of FreeBSD says it supports both Itanium and Itanium2.

Right, but these are the only free operating systems.

Please list latest versions of Linux that do not boot/install on older
Itaniums spcifically. SuSE, RH etc....?

Latest SuSE for Itanium is SuSE 7.something (7.1?), latest Redhat is 7.3.

Because of what you said above, I passed on buying an IBM Itanium
system for about $200 so I hope you can backup your proposition.

200$ for a 7 year old Itanium machine isn't really a bargain...

Benjamin

It might just be; wha was the original price of the sucker?

--
regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog
http://markedspartiet.dk, http://macplanet.dk
Old November 27th 06, 11:52 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Peter Bjørn Perlsø wrote:
Benjamin Gawert wrote:

* ***** charles:

The latest version of FreeBSD says it supports both Itanium and Itanium2.

Right, but these are the only free operating systems.

Please list latest versions of Linux that do not boot/install on older
Itaniums spcifically. SuSE, RH etc....?

Latest SuSE for Itanium is SuSE 7.something (7.1?), latest Redhat is 7.3.

Because of what you said above, I passed on buying an IBM Itanium
system for about $200 so I hope you can backup your proposition.

200$ for a 7 year old Itanium machine isn't really a bargain...

Benjamin

It might just be; wha was the original price of the sucker?

I don't think that's relevant, a seven year old PC has some use because
it can run non-demanding tasks. An obsolete formerly high performance
workstation is just obsolete, there probably aren't any non-demanding
tasks of interest. Other than people wanting to run Linux for the fun of
it, which doesn't create much market demand. Old computers are often
sold by the pound, for salvage value rather than any useful purpose.

I was surprised to learn that my old S100 computers are now collectable
and in demand again. Who would have thought?

--
Bill Davidsen
Old November 28th 06, 05:42 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* Rick Jones:

I was never certain if all those merced-based systems were
sufficiently "identical" that HP-UX would boot/run on the non-HP
versions or not.

They were 100% identical with the only difference being the color of the
case. Funny thing is that the SGI 750 (SGIs version of this intel dual
Itanium workstation) at that time was the fastest system SGI offered.
Like all the other clones it ran HP-UX just fine...

Regardless, I think that while 11iv1.5 (aka 11.20)
and 11iv1.6 (aka 11.22) might run on the rx4610, i2000 and rx9610
those OSes themselves are no longer "supported" (IIRC).

Right, all these releases are EOL'd. For hobby purposes a HP i2000 or
one of the other OEM systems makes a nice system (it's still quite fast
in the fp department), but for production use it's just obsolete.

Benjamin

couple of Dimension XPS Gen4 question Matt Dell Computers 3 March 4th 05 02:20 AM
itanium future Avi Intel 4 February 25th 05 05:24 AM
old Itanium articles Yousuf Khan Intel 18 October 3rd 04 01:17 AM
Itanium sales hit $14bn (w/ -$13.4bn adjustment)! Uh, Opteron sales too Yousuf Khan Intel 43 September 7th 04 09:34 AM
Question - Printing 2-up on 11x17 Don Printers 1 August 24th 03 04:27 AM