Motherboard recommendation?

Old November 20th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

Default Motherboard recommendation?

Hi all,

I would like to build a computer with two AMD Opterons 2216's.
Which motherboard would you recommand?

thanks,
charles......

Old November 21st 06, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
BC

***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to build a computer with two AMD Opterons 2216's.
Which motherboard would you recommand?

thanks,
charles......

Dear Charles,

I would recommend whatever Tyan board has the slot/peripheral
configuration that fits best for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16 813151052

Caveat: I have a Tyan socket 939 board, not one of these....

For a double-double CPU combo board, you might consider an Intel board
with the 5000X chipset:

I notice that this is the configuration that Apple chose for their high
end systems; the Mac Pro line has a board in it that looks like a
modified S5000XVNSATA.

Since the Intel quad core is already out, you could possibly use that,
depending on whether or not your application will take advantage of the
additional cores.

HTH,

BC

Intel product brief:

ftp://download.intel.com/products/pr...kprodbrief.pdf

Socket 771 CPUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=343

AMD socket F/1207 CPUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&srchIn Desc=

Old November 21st 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

"BC" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:
[...]

thanks for the feedback.

the program in question is Poser 7. it is supposed to handle
up to 4 threads but I think that is the limit.

I have a $2000 budget.

later.....

Old November 22nd 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
BC

thanks for the feedback.

the program in question is Poser 7. it is supposed to handle
up to 4 threads but I think that is the limit.

I have a $2000 budget.

later.....

TYAN S2915A2NRF Dual Socket 1207

$389.99 $389.99
Processors

AMD Opteron 2216(WOF) Santa Rosa 2.4GHz
Socket F Dual Core Processor
$450.99 x 2 = $901.98

Subtotal: $1,291.97

At about $150 per GB of Fully buffered RAM, that's about 4 GB worth left
in your budget--do you already have case/power supply/hard drives?

FB-DIMMS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...lue=524%3A8437

And, one thing to consider if you don't have the case/power supply, etc:

Stripped down but still fucntional, $2100:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...U27mnM9/2.?p=0

Apple can put together a dual dual core system for less than Dell right
now for some reason:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/feat...rice/index.php

Quote:

I think these variations address most of the modified comparisons
readers suggested. After looking at the table, one thing becomes even
more clear: The Mac Pro’s price advantage over the Dell is robust—it
holds up under many different “comparable” configurations. Granted, it’s
smaller in some scenarios, but the Dell never even gets within $500.
Where Dell wins

One thing you may notice, from both the original article and this one,
is that although the Mac Pro itself is significantly cheaper than the
equivalent Dell, Dell’s upgrades are cheaper. For example, Dell charges
$300 less to add the same top-of-the-line video card and a 30-inch
display. Seasoned Mac users are likely nodding their heads knowlingly
right now, as this has long been the case: Apple has always charged a
premium for such options, and especially for RAM, compared to both other
PC vendors and third-party resellers. In some instances, such as video
cards, Apple may have to pay vendors more for a Mac-compatible version,
but that doesn’t make the customer feel any better after spending
significantly more for essentially the same technology than their
Windows-PC-owning friends.
***

upgrades: do them yourself later. Hard drives are super cheap,
and, you can get good quality FB-DIMM RAM for much less than Apple
charges and install it yourself very easily.

HTH,

BC
Old November 27th 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

"BC" wrote in message

thanks for the feedback.

the program in question is Poser 7. it is supposed to handle
up to 4 threads but I think that is the limit.

I have a $2000 budget.

later.....

TYAN S2915A2NRF Dual Socket 1207

$389.99 $389.99
Processors

AMD Opteron 2216(WOF) Santa Rosa 2.4GHz
Socket F Dual Core Processor
$450.99 x 2 = $901.98

Subtotal: $1,291.97

At about $150 per GB of Fully buffered RAM, that's about 4 GB worth left
in your budget--do you already have case/power supply/hard drives?

FB-DIMMS:

I've got the rest of the stuff but I will have to buy a copy of XP Pro. I
will be
buying the mb, cpu's, fans, ram and os. I tend to get full retail stuff
because of
the longer warrantees.

later......