which is the "real" Backup My PC?

Old January 24th 05, 02:24 AM
Louise

Default which is the "real" Backup My PC?

When doing a Google search for Backup My PC, there are two listings for
what looks like the same product - except it isn't....

One is made by "StompSoft" and is version 5 - the same version that has
been out for a long time.

One seems to be made by Sonic and is the "new version 6".

Are these two different programs with Sonic masquerading as Stomp? Or
how do they relate?

I'm concerned because StompSoft version 5 has not been upgraded in a
long time and every so often, as it has for years, it throws out an
entire backup because it says there's an error on the disk. This is
usually not the case and I've yet to figure out what causes it but it's
making me look further for DVD backup programs.

TIA

Louise
Old January 24th 05, 03:16 AM
J. Clarke

Louise wrote:

When doing a Google search for Backup My PC, there are two listings for
what looks like the same product - except it isn't....

One is made by "StompSoft" and is version 5 - the same version that has
been out for a long time.

One seems to be made by Sonic and is the "new version 6".

Are these two different programs with Sonic masquerading as Stomp? Or
how do they relate?

I'm concerned because StompSoft version 5 has not been upgraded in a
long time and every so often, as it has for years, it throws out an
entire backup because it says there's an error on the disk. This is
usually not the case and I've yet to figure out what causes it but it's
making me look further for DVD backup programs.

http://www.sonic.com/support/dmd.asp

Historically, BackupMyPC was the desktop version of Seagate/Veritas Backup
Express. For a while it was being producted by Veritas and marketed by
Stomp. In 2002 Sonic bought the desktop software product line from Veritas
and apparently continued to market it through Stomp for a while. The
version on the Sonic site can be presumed to be "official" considering that
it is now their product.

TIA

Louise

--

[...]