Suround sound

Old March 5th 12, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des[_2_]

Default Suround sound

Hi I am long overdue for a new motherboard. Currently mine is an Asus
2005 make. I was looking at this

GA-MA785GPM-UD2H/

It states 7.1 suround sound. That I beleive is an 8 Speaker system. I
only have 3 connections.

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out Jack (Orange)
Rear Speaker Out Jack (Black)
Side Speaker Out Jack (Gray)

How does this work? Is there a website for showing diagrams?

What if I just wanted plain sterio with 2 speakers.

Could do with some input on this one.

TIA

Desmond.
Old March 5th 12, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Des" wrote in message ...
Hi I am long overdue for a new motherboard. Currently mine is an Asus
2005 make. I was looking at this

GA-MA785GPM-UD2H/

It states 7.1 suround sound. That I beleive is an 8 Speaker system. I
only have 3 connections.

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out Jack (Orange)
Rear Speaker Out Jack (Black)
Side Speaker Out Jack (Gray)

How does this work? Is there a website for showing diagrams?

What if I just wanted plain sterio with 2 speakers.

Could do with some input on this one.

TIA

Desmond.

If you look on p.88 of the manual, there's a diagram of how to hook the speakers for different configurations:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/.../Manual/207721

--
SC Tom

Old March 5th 12, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mar 5, 10:51 am, Des wrote:
What if I just wanted plain sterio with 2 speakers.

Everything becomes amazingly plain once it boots with drivers, a
spiffy keyboard, and headphones.
Old March 5th 12, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des[_2_]

On Mar 5, 4:08*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
"Des" wrote in ...
Hi I am long overdue for a new motherboard. Currently mine is an Asus
2005 make. I was looking at this

GA-MA785GPM-UD2H/

It states 7.1 suround sound. That I beleive is an 8 Speaker system. I
only have 3 connections.

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out Jack (Orange)
Rear Speaker Out Jack (Black)
Side Speaker Out Jack (Gray)

How does this work? Is there a website for showing diagrams?

What if I just wanted plain sterio with 2 speakers.

Could do with some input on this one.

TIA

Desmond.

If you look on p.88 of the manual, there's a diagram of how to hook the speakers for different configurations:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/.../Manual/207721

--
SC Tom

This is strange. I am used to a left and a right channel for sterio.

Front speaker out is just one speaker or two speakers wired together.
Not seen this concept before.
Old March 5th 12, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

Des wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:08 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
"Des" wrote in ...
[...]

Front Speaker Out is a stereo jack; left and right channels incorporated into a single jack with (L+) and (R+) out and a
common ground. If you have stereo speakers with a single jack on each one, you can get an adapter to plug the speakers
in to, then plug the adapter into the Front Speaker Out jack.
--
SC Tom

Old March 5th 12, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des[_2_]

On Mar 5, 4:47*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
Des wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:08 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
"Des" wrote in ...
[...]

Ok the PDF said front speaker not speakers. If I have to make the
leads up ist there a proper wiring for the sterio jack. ie tip = right
middle left?

Old March 5th 12, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

Des wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:47 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
Des wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:08 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
"Des" wrote in
[...]

On my headphones, the tip is left, middle right, and the large part is common. Whether or not that's a code standard, I
don't know. Wire yours temporarily and see it's the same for you. If not, just swap the tip and middle wires.
--
SC Tom

Old March 5th 12, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

SC Tom wrote:
Des wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:47 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
Des wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:08 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
"Des" wrote in

[...]

I think that's what I always find, is tip is left, ring contact is right,
sleeve contact is ground.

The fact Des is asking this question, suggests the usage of non-amplified
speakers.

Computer outputs today, expect the usage of a stereo (receiver/amplifier) or
"computer speakers" which have the amplifier inside. The computer output is
typically too weak, to drive passive speakers.

Anything amplified, is likely to have stereo 1/8" cabling (or on professional
gear, they use a larger connector of some sort).

The RCA/Cinch connector, is used on raw speakers. And would need an
adapter, from two RCA/Cinch to a stereo 1/8" plug.

For example, this adapter converts 1/8" to two RCA/Cinch connectors. But
if you think you need one of these, there is a chance you're missing
the "amplifier" part of the solution. I own a couple of these, because
my old amplifier/mixer had Cinch only on the back, and to make
a computer connection, I needed this to get from the computer,
to something the amp/mixer could use.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103225

This is the male version of RCA/Cinch, and I have these on some speakers.
Since the passive speakers in that case, are a heavy electrical load,
I need an amplifier to drive the speakers, and not the computer directly.

http://www.budgetronics.eu/RCA-Cinch.jpg

The output on the computer, is strong enough to drive headphones. It'll
drive around 1 volt rms into a 32 ohm load, as an example. And if a passive
speaker is connected to that, it won't be very loud at all.

Paul
Old March 7th 12, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
yukonron[_23_]

Des;1331544 Wrote:
Hi I am long overdue for a new motherboard. Currently mine is an Asus
2005 make. I was looking at this

GA-MA785GPM-UD2H/

It states 7.1 suround sound. That I beleive is an 8 Speaker system. I
only have 3 connections.

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out Jack (Orange)
Rear Speaker Out Jack (Black)
Side Speaker Out Jack (Gray)

How does this work? Is there a website for showing diagrams?

What if I just wanted plain sterio with 2 speakers.

Could do with some input on this one.

TIA

Desmond.

You can't plug directly into non amplipfied speakers. Those connection
are for plugging into a powered subwoofer/speaker setup like this
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...er-system-Z906
here's a connection diagram
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...2,4,5/cl/us,en
if you scroll down to the picture you will see the same color coded
connections as you have on your pc. The powered sub then decodes it to
surround sound. Thats just 1 example of a decent lower priced system.
You can find them from under $100 to thousands of $. My system has a
Denon AVR 3808CI amp. $1700.00 Klipsch Quintet III surround speakers
$549.00 and a Klipsch RW12D 12" subwoofer $999.99 (got it on sale at
newegg for $299.99) I have my cable, PS3, and my pc all hooked up to my
Denon amp and I use a 55" 1080p trumotion TV for my monitor so I can
watch internet movies, blurays, cable, play games, all in dolby digital
True HD surround. So it's a complete home theatre. I don't even use a
sound card I use the HDMI connection on my video card. My system is what
you'd call a "middle of the road" system. You can spend many thousand's
more than I did. It just depends on what you're looking for. I wanted an
all in one Home Theatre/PC entertainment system. Anyway if you check
out the link's they will show you how to connect your PC

Old March 13th 12, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bear

Flasherly wrote in news:74613954-4bf7-41aa-ba30-
:

On Mar 5, 10:51 am, Des wrote:
What if I just wanted plain sterio with 2 speakers.

Everything becomes amazingly plain once it boots with drivers, a
spiffy keyboard, and headphones.

The right drivers and headphones are enough. You don't need a spiffy
keyboard.

--
Bear
http://bearware.info