Setting up new USB drive

Old July 3rd 07, 04:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Setting up new USB drive

I have a new Samsung PATA 160G drive that I'd like to use as a USB
storage/backup drive.

I thought I might be able to just plug it into a USB and away we go,
but no dice.

It seems that it must be partitioned and formatted before I can use it
as a USB drive.

Can someone please give me some tips as to:
- whether I can partition/format this drive without taking apart my
computer or someone else's?

-if I need to take apart my computer, do I need to put WinXP on it in
order to partition/format it? (FAT-32 preferred).

TIA

Old July 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

wrote in message
I have a new Samsung PATA 160G drive that I'd like to use as a USB
storage/backup drive.

I thought I might be able to just plug it into a USB and away we go,
but no dice.

No?

It seems that it must be partitioned and formatted before I can use it
as a USB drive.

..... before you can use *any* drive. Yes, and?

Can someone please give me some tips as to:
- whether I can partition/format this drive without taking apart my
computer or someone else's?

Just partition/format it? Novel eh.

-if I need to take apart my computer, do I need to put WinXP on it

On what "it"?

Old July 3rd 07, 08:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

wrote in message
I have a new Samsung PATA 160G drive that I'd like to use as a USB
storage/backup drive.

I thought I might be able to just plug it into a USB and away we go,
but no dice.

No?

It seems that it must be partitioned and formatted before I can use it
as a USB drive.

.... before you can use *any* drive. Yes, and?

Can someone please give me some tips as to:
- whether I can partition/format this drive without taking apart my
computer or someone else's?

Just partition/format it? Novel eh.

-if I need to take apart my computer, do I need to put WinXP on it

On what "it"?

in order to partition/format it? (FAT-32 preferred).

TIA

How well do you speak Zulu, folknert? You don't? Oh, then you must be
a real thicko.

Or is it just accepted that everyone should have first-hand knowledge of
computers. Or do you just not hang out with non-nerds?

You Prat.

Odie
Old July 4th 07, 01:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:20:14 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
wrote:

It seems that it must be partitioned and formatted before I can use it
as a USB drive.

.... before you can use *any* drive. Yes, and?

Well not for the flash drives that I use. I love them.

Can someone please give me some tips as to:
- whether I can partition/format this drive without taking apart my
computer or someone else's?

Just partition/format it? Novel eh.

Can any Freeware do the job?

-if I need to take apart my computer, do I need to put WinXP on it

On what "it"?

in order to partition/format it? (FAT-32 preferred).

Sorry, do I need to put WinXP on my new USB hard drive in order to
partition/format it?

I just know that when you set up a new hard drive and want to put
WinXP on it, the WinXP setup takes care of everything; formatting,
installing XP etc. etc.

In my case, I'd like to avoid installing XP if I can.

Old July 4th 07, 03:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:17:00 -0700, Andy wrote:

If you're using Windows XP, run its Disk Management snap-in to
partition and format.

Hey Andy thanks for the tip!

It's funny, because I just ran through the Disk Managment setup just
now before I read your post. It worked like a charm.

I'm left scratching my head as to why the other two fellows who posted
here didn't suggest this to me?

I did a Google on partitioning a USB drive and wound up on Seagate's
site and found this link:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...005106090aRCRD

It outlined the steps to take in WinXP Disk Managment.
I wasn't even aware of this feature before.

Well I'll know better for the next time.

One last question. Is it possible to setup Win 98 or WinXP on a
formatted USB drive?
In other words, you've booted up your WinXP, and plugged in your USB
hd. Now can you install WinXP or Win98 on the USB drive and not harm
your c: WinXP install?

TIA

Old July 4th 07, 04:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arbuckle, J. Q.

wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:17:00 -0700, Andy wrote:

If you're using Windows XP, run its Disk Management snap-in to
partition and format.

Hey Andy thanks for the tip!

Ahh, a "Thanks, but you were too late, I found it already, but
thanks anyway" thank you. Always so rewarding for time wasted.

It's funny, because I just ran through the Disk Managment setup just
now before I read your post. It worked like a charm.

I'm left scratching my head as to why the other two fellows who posted
here didn't suggest this to me?

Maybe because you asked a stupid question and didn't volunteer any useful information to start with, so respondents were forced to
ask questions first.
That is considered a troll question, especially when you are using a nym like , so you get your answers in that same
fashion.

You don't like it? Though.

I did a Google on partitioning a USB drive and wound up on Seagate's
site and found this link:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...005106090aRCRD

It outlined the steps to take in WinXP Disk Managment.
I wasn't even aware of this feature before.

So what is that help feature in Windows for then.
Just useless balast that can make them charge you more for?

Well I'll know better for the next time.

We'll see.

One last question. Is it possible to setup Win 98 or WinXP on a formatted
USB drive?
In other words, you've booted up your WinXP, and plugged in your USB
hd. Now can you install WinXP or Win98 on the USB drive and not harm
your c: WinXP install?

Feeling lazy again. are we?

TIA

Old July 4th 07, 09:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

****nert is into make a fool of itself, not interested in helping anyone.

Old July 5th 07, 01:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Bunny

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:17:00 -0700, Andy wrote:

If you're using Windows XP, run its Disk Management snap-in to
partition and format.

Hey Andy thanks for the tip!

It's funny, because I just ran through the Disk Managment setup just
now before I read your post. It worked like a charm.

I'm left scratching my head as to why the other two fellows who posted
here didn't suggest this to me?

****nert is into make a fool of itself, not interested in helping anyone.

Bwahahah. This coming from
Roddles " pity about 0 bad sectors are bad in a new drive" Speed.

" There are no reallocated sectors reported,

Wrong, pity about

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 036 Pre-fail Always - 0

and IMHO, this is the key value to watch for impending failure.

It is indeed, and that many in a new drive is a real problem."

Meet Rod Speed:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....32331015efb66a